Rahsaan Roland Kirk Live in Paris (1970) The Lost ORTF Recordings

soulpope

c13a8676-51f8-f93d-5193-a739cc491c5f.jpg

Rahsaan Roland Kirk Live in Paris (1970) The Lost ORTF Recordings Limited 180 Gram LP First ever official reissue of this rare ORTF recording performed live at studio 104, Maison de la Radio Paris, with the full permission and cooperation of the National Audiovisual Institute (INA)

TRACKS: SIDE A A1. Sweet fire A2. The Inflated Tear SIDE B B1. Three For The Festival B2. My Cherie Amour B3. Volunteered Slavery

Again this is an largely incomplete release from the material available (and issued as two CD`s from France's Concert) :

Easy To Love 9:35 Love Madeline 4:22 My Cherie Amour 5:30 Petite Fleur 7:42 Inflated Tear 5:20 Three For The Festival 7:40 Boogie Man Song 6:50

Sweet Fire 16:26 Make Me A Pallet On The Floor 8:52 Charlie Parker Medley 6:51 Volunteered Slavery 11:41 You Did It, You Did It 5:00 Satin Doll 1:46

I`m aware there`s an authorization issue with France's Concert nevertheless "authorized" releases like this one from Transversales Disques leaves me just .... wondering ....

Their Bandcamp site has the aura of legitimacy, quite a selection.  And they once had a tote and t-shirt (both sold out) 😄  The Jazz Messengers site has a photo with a hype sticker, which says remastered from the original tapes, includes photos from the date, etc.  Still doesn't prove it is completely on the up and up.

Edited by Eric

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'd always assumed they are legitimate. It's the editing that I find strange, less so the LP only editions, that's just how the market is now.

It's the limited capacity of vinyl which causes editing/omissions .... btw a DoLP set could have included the complete material available ....  

It's not shortsighted of them if they've proven it's a sound model that fits today's market no matter how it may annoy or dismay those of us who want a complete performance released or who refuse to buy vinyl.

We can double guess the label as much as we like but they are on their 4th or 5th release in this format so one can only guess they're doing well enough to continue.

Relatively short runs of higher priced vinyl is the way of much of the reissue market, and some new releases, functions now whether we like it or not, or are just indifferent.