Jessica Williams - Orgonomic Music upcoming reissue on Sundazed Music

felser

Good chance I'm in.

I like JW and have a number of albums. Of her large discography, trios seems to significantly outnumber ensembles with horns, so this is welcome.

[Added] I'm not sure what to think about "liner notes by Scott Yanow"... 🤔 most of his Allmusic reviews seem to be telegraphic / mailed in, though his opinions and tastes are often similar to mine.

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Sundazed? 

They have some reasonable looking recordings, though jazz seems to be a minority category. I am puzzled by the number of Sun Ra offerings, and wonder whether those were done in collaboration with Sun Ra LLC, the Irwin Chusid entity that I consider the gold standard of Ra reissues. The one I looked up did not make any such claims, which would not be a plus.

Edited by T.D.

Surprised that Sundazed has been around this long
because I only saw a desire for last century classics
in a pretty niche group (in the 90s), but they seem to
have delivered the goods and moved, a bit, with the new
gen of people discovering these "classics," so good on 'em.

I had to sell that Williams LP back in the day at Kinnara Dist.
It's quite good!

Edited by rostasi

Yeah, they did some of that too.
Garage bands, bargain bin stuff
from late 50s thru 70s. I think the
first thing I bought from them was
that album with all of those versions
of Louie Louie or maybe it was
The Kingsmen album itself.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Funny.  I associate Sundazed with country and country-rock.

They have reissued a lot of that also.  I have a lot of 60's rock CD's from them.  Very extensive and eclectic catalogue.  And they have a sense of humor about themselves which is refreshing.

19 hours ago, T.D. said:

Good chance I'm in.

I like JW and have a number of albums. Of her large discography, trios seems to significantly outnumber ensembles with horns, so this is welcome.

[Added] I'm not sure what to think about "liner notes by Scott Yanow"... 🤔 most of his Allmusic reviews seem to be telegraphic / mailed in, though his opinions and tastes are often similar to mine.

Agreed with your thoughts on JW. I really got into her playing when she released a number of CD's (must have been at least 10) on the Canadian Jazz Focus label.  The producer of the label, Dr. Philip Barker, was a huge jazz fan, and rather well-known for his excesses, both musical and personal. 'Nuff said, but you can find his story on the 'net. 

I would say that Scott Yanow's liner notes are generally good and quite interesting, even if as you say, his CD reviews can seem rather mechanical and mailed in. But what can we expect for $5 each?       

Edited by John Tapscott