Georg Riedel RIP

Big Beat Steve

I just did a very preliminary check of my collection and estimate that Georg Riedel must be on about 150 CDs and perhaps more.

He is on most Lars Gullin and Arne Domerus recordings. Here is a list of some of the other CDs on my shelves on which Riedel appears - Stan Getz, Niels Lindberg, Jan Johansson, Harry Arnold, Thad Jones, Jimmy Rowles and Benny Carter.

R.I.P.

There is a deep connection between Riedel's music and almost every Swede that grew up from the late 1960s almost up to this day. Renowned jazz pianist Jan Johansson (with whom Georg Riedel recorded the best selling Swedish jazz album of all time, "Jazz På Svenska", 'Jazz in Swedish', based on traditional Swedish folk songs) first got the assignment to write the music for the first Pippi Longstocking movies. But Johansson was killed in a car accident on his way to a gig in 1968, and Riedel took over the assignment. 

That was the start of a collaboration between him and Sweden's most productive (and famous) writer of child litterature, Astrid Lindgren, which lasted for the rest of her life. The many songs he wrote for countless movies, TV series and theatre productions are imprinted in the minds of almost every Swede between age 20 and 65, and has had an impact far beyond his excellent jazz playing and composing.

He also scored several movies and TV series which got quite an exposure; Sweden had only two public TV channels well into the 80s and no commercial TV or radio was allowed.

He has been a presence on the music scene ever since making a name as a jazz basist in the mid-1950s up to this day and he is totally irreplaceable.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

I just did a very preliminary check of my collection and estimate that Georg Riedel must be on about 150 CDs and perhaps more.

He is on most Lars Gullin and Arne Domerus recordings. Here is a list of some of the other CDs on my shelves on which Riedel appears - Stan Getz, Niels Lindberg, Jan Johansson, Harry Arnold, Thad Jones, Jimmy Rowles and Benny Carter.

R.I.P.

That's what I get for using Wikipeda instead of discogs for my research. I have almost all of the recordings he made with Lars Gullin. I never did pick up the Getz material from Sweden though.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

43 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

There is a deep connection between Riedel's music and almost every Swede that grew up from the late 1960s almost up to this day.

Germans as well, and I am sure more European countries... there is no real christmas without watching at least two or three of those Lindgren movies... I only made the connection between Riedel and Johansen the jazz musicians and Riedel and Johansen as names in the credits of those movies a decade ago or so...

Edited by Niko

Sad news. His recordings are as numerous as they are wonderful. His duets with Jan Johansson are particularly fine. About a decade ago ACT released some JJ broadcasts which included the two musicians performing material from the famous "Jazz På Svenska" recordings.

On 2/26/2024 at 2:30 PM, Daniel A said:

There is a deep connection between Riedel's music and almost every Swede that grew up from the late 1960s almost up to this day. Renowned jazz pianist Jan Johansson (with whom Georg Riedel recorded the best selling Swedish jazz album of all time, "Jazz På Svenska", 'Jazz in Swedish', based on traditional Swedish folk songs) first got the assignment to write the music for the first Pippi Longstocking movies. But Johansson was killed in a car accident on his way to a gig in 1968, and Riedel took over the assignment. 

That was the start of a collaboration between him and Sweden's most productive (and famous) writer of child litterature, Astrid Lindgren, which lasted for the rest of her life. The many songs he wrote for countless movies, TV series and theatre productions are imprinted in the minds of almost every Swede between age 20 and 65, and has had an impact far beyond his excellent jazz playing and composing.

He also scored several movies and TV series which got quite an exposure; Sweden had only two public TV channels well into the 80s and no commercial TV or radio was allowed.

He has been a presence on the music scene ever since making a name as a jazz basist in the mid-1950s up to this day and he is totally irreplaceable.

Thanks; yes, of course -- Jazz På Svenska! Beautiful album, had it on deck just recently. The Swedish film/theatre environment is not something I know too well, but appreciate the insight.