The Best of the Best: Jazz from Detroit -- documentary film debuts in April

Gang -- I can't tell you how proud I am that the documentary I have coproduced and written, "The Best of the Best: Jazz from Detroit," will make its debut at the Freep Film Festival with screenings on April 13-14. This has been a true collaboration by co-producers Daniel Loewenthal (who has done a masterful job directing and editing), Roberta Friedman, and myself, and we are honored and humbled for Detroit audiences to be the first to see what is a landmark  -- the first feature-length documentary to explore Detroit's remarkable jazz history. We have embedded the story of the city's innovative and influential musicians within the compelling economic, social, and cultural history of the city and its resilient African American community. More later on our plans for world domination. 

In the meantime, Nate Chinen has written a nice piece that captures the flavor of the film and gives the backstory of what began four years ago this month. There's also a clip so you can get a taste of what we've done. https://www.wrti.org/wrti-spotlight/2024-03-13/watch-a-clip-from-the-best-of-the-best-jazz-from-detroit?fbclid=IwAR3tnvCNYLcOAyTGrPXog19L4HlOJNxnWhuuACtSbUXtrKPNGBJWprCUUOI
Edited by Mark Stryker

• 4 weeks later...