How does one refrain from buying CDs??

LAL

How does one refrain from buying CDs?

I offered this in one of the other threads. Its somewhat complicated, but its definitely worked for me:

Buy a house with a mortgage you can barely afford.

This sounds suspiciously close to a certain political party's strategy re: taxes, the deficit, and cuts in federal spending! ;)

I tend to enact one-month buying bans upon myself, in order to catch up with what I've already purchased. (I also do this with books, another "growth product" in the Johnson-McNellen household.) Problem is that I sometimes--ah, well, often--binge when that one-month period ends. Come day two of the aftermath, I can be found rolling back and forth on the floor, laughing maniacally in a sea of CD wrappers and sales receipts as I enter hour 25 of a new-music listening marathon... :excited:

Since moving last summer, I have spent a lot of time listening to and looking at what I accumulated over the past few years, and I have been a net seller for about six months, some on the board, some on Ebay, even getting $4-5 per disc for the dregs at the Jazz Record Ctr. I can still sell for another two years and I won't have unloaded everything I would like. It feels great. Sell all the crap you don't listen to, never listened to, won't listen to very much, and you will be amazed at how low your purchasing appetite becomes. I did learn what I like most and what I get enthusiastic to maybe go hear live, and so I do spend more (now maybe $50-60/month) at the one store in NYC that caters to my tastes (Downtown). But I don't buy CDs anymore at Tower or J&R, where I used to lurk. My credit card statements look great. Invest your time selling, and you will learn a lot about your own tastes, and fill in the blanks about the value of your time and your money.

Since moving last summer, I have spent a lot of time listening to and looking at what I accumulated over the past few years, and I have been a net seller for about six months [...] I don't buy CDs anymore at Tower or J&R, where I used to lurk.  My credit card statements look great.  Invest your time selling, and you will learn a lot about your own tastes, and fill in the blanks about the value of your time and your money.

That's some intriguing advice. I'm a pillar of self-restraint compared to some who've posted in this thread, but I do like the idea of concentrating on and exploring one's tastes as a way to reduce CD spending. Seems more productive, somehow, than an artificially-imposed buying ban or burying the jar of music money on the backyard, or whatever.

Edited by gdogus