John Coltrane - OM

AfricaBrass

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't resist saying that I play tenor in Church.  :)

Have you heard Vernard Johnson? Gospel altoist out of Fort Worth?

None too shabby!

Great stuff. Any Ayler fan should dig him, as should any Junior Walker fan!

ANother great instrumental gospel tradition is the trombone shout bands.

d59301geba2.jpg

But when you get saved, you get a "new nature" from God

Oh, now I get it. Like the one George W. Bush has.

Pete, I can't answer for George Bush. I don't know him and don't know whether he is saved or not. But don't judge the gospel message by one human - especially not me. Look at Jesus, who never sinned.

The truth of the Bible does not rise and fall with George Bush. Just a few years ago, none of us had even heard of the man. Soon, he will disappear into the pages of history. At my age (56) I've seen a lot of flavors of the month come and go.

Also, as I pointed out above, we saved people still have our old sinful nature, and we do still sin, sad to say. The dead, sinful body is there until we leave this world. Then, we will be sinless.

I live and work near Dupont Circle and those guys are fun! It's always a cool surprise to hear them as I'm getting closer to the circle, then turn the corner and see them having a blast with a crowd around them. No idea who any of them are.

I live and work near Dupont Circle and those guys are fun! It's always a cool surprise to hear them as I'm getting closer to the circle, then turn the corner and see them having a blast with a crowd around them. No idea who any of them are.

These groups are generally part of a particular church, and probably perform there on a regular basis. One of the best is McCollough Sons of Thunder, in Harlem. They're on the CD I posted above.

I live and work near Dupont Circle and those guys are fun!  It's always a cool surprise to hear them as I'm getting closer to the circle, then turn the corner and see them having a blast with a crowd around them.  No idea who any of them are.

These groups are generally part of a particular church, and probably perform there on a regular basis. One of the best is McCollough Sons of Thunder, in Harlem. They're on the CD I posted above.

Do they play Ascension?

Imagine trying to play "Ascension"! You're up on the bandstand, and one of the guys says "Hey, let's play Ascension!" One, two, one two three four, ...

I could play the opening phrase, I guess. I doubt that the audience would like all that Sanders screeching noise.

That's Sanders, not the head.

The story I have heard (unverifiable in a scholarly sense) is that Coltrane and possibly other members of the band dropped acid the night before, when LIVE IN SEATTLE was recorded, and were still feeling the effects the next day when they laid down OM. (Based on, erm, my own experiences, they certainly would still be feeling the effects!) It's a rather salacious topic, however... whatever Coltrane's experimentation with LSD was, it was all part of his attempt in his last years to push the boundaries of his music out of this world.

I think *Live in Seattle* is a much better album than *OM*.

*OM* is the only album from Coltrane's last years I can't listen to.

Many thanks to Board members for sharing. I had 4 hours of driving to do yesterday, grabbed the two stellar '67 studio discs and had a ball. I had not heard this music before, I loved every moment. Great intensity of emotion and tonal/sound exploration in those groups. (Fyi, I bought one at Tower for $19, one at $8 used, hooray, say goodnight Tower.)

Edited by AmirBagachelles

Many thanks to Board members for sharing.  I had 4 hours of driving to do yesterday, grabbed the two stellar '67 studio discs and had a ball.  I had not heard this music before, I loved every moment.  Great intensity of emotion and tonal/sound exploration in those groups.  (Fyi, I bought one at Tower for $19, one at $8 used, hooray, say goodnight Tower.)

Interstellar Space, Expression and Stellar Regions are all from '67. Great work, too bad there isn't even more. :unsure::wub:

Edited by 7/4

Because of all this, no, I do not have any respect for any religion, Eastern or otherwise. They are lies and don't deserve any respect. But, I do respect everyone's right to believe anything that they want, without being persecuted for their religion/belief system. Also, although I hate religions, I do not hate their followers. In particular, I don't hate my fellow posters on this bulletin board. I just want to help in any way I can. In connection with this, thanks for your remarks, Mike.

You're welcome.

But I thought being a Christian - and I feel to be one, even if I am not a member of any church orginization - includes love and respect for all in the world, including their beliefs.

I do not intend to be cynical, but if salvation does not change your state as sinners, what is the use, if we do not accept responsibility for our own doings on earth.

I finally got a copy of Cosmic Music, and although it's a posthumous cover design, it shows a collage of Jesus, a Far Eastern Buddha, an Indian Buddha, and an Egyptian sphinx, symbolizing the co-existence of religions. I am afraid I like this pan-theistic spirit a lot more than the claims for exclusivity of any religion for being the only true belief in the world. I firmly believe love, respect, and tolerance, to be a "crucial" part of the message of Jesus Christ. Insulting other religions could be a manifestation of evil, just as well. Consider how many wars this attitude has effected, and still does.

Peace be with you, and all beings on earth.

-----------------------------------------------------

Getting back to topic, when I listen to Coltrane playing his sheets of sounds and shrieks, they strike me by their sheer emotional power and expressive force - whereas with all younger players the same phrases leave me cold like technical exercises, like they think they might feel some of that intensity by playing this, not the other way round, like Coltrane did ...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I doubt that John Coltrane played an insincere note in his life - his music (esp. his later works) is infused with spirituality, at least to my ears. One may debate the motive behind his explorations, but to characterize his music as evil? Or call it the 'devils music'? Ever hear the interview he did with Nat Hentoff in which he tells the surprise and dismay he felt when his music was characterized as 'hatefull' or 'anti-jazz'? How often did he speak of love, or peace, or greater understanding, or helping humankind...does anyone here really believe 'Trane's later stuff is evil or hatefull or the devils music?? Maybe I'm missing something...perhaps his music, when placed in social context, isn't so different....remember the Liberation music Orchestra? Ornette Coleman? Sun Ra? These artists reflected the social zeitgeist.

BTW, just a useless piece of information...Joe Brazil was a legendary figure (around Detroit, anyway) who hosted amazing jam sessions at his house 24/7....Trane participated whenever he was in town.