tranemonk Posted March 12 Posted March 12 For some very odd reason, I just got an itching to listen to him more. Does anyone have this? Worth it? Looking around it seems there might be some smaller box sets of his work. And I have a stupid related question... Given his output, why didn't he do the Bond movie soundtracks? I mean I know the opening songs often got high profile pop stars (e.g., Billie Eilish, Shirley Massey, Sheena Easton, etc.) but it would have been an interesting mix. Thanks. Quote
felser Posted March 12 Posted March 12 I own the 5 CD version of this from 2016, which focuses on his 60's Verve releases (9 LP on 5 CD IIRC). Interesting listen, though not life-changing. I have no interest in 16 CD version which stretches into the 21st century, though neither version should break the bank in terms of $ per disc. Quote
Stompin at the Savoy Posted March 12 Posted March 12 I like him and enjoy the stuff with Dizzy. I used to love those tv themes like Mannix but am not sure I want to go the whole 16 disks. What are his best jazz albums? Is this euro-compilation good? Quote
mikeweil Posted March 12 Posted March 12 On 3/12/2026 at 9:04 PM, Stompin at the Savoy said: Is this euro-compilation good? Sound varies depending on the original alums. Some is very rare. The Verve with Brookmeyer is the jazziest, with a killer solo from Schifrin on the longest track. As with Sergio Mendes or Joao Donato all is a bit on the lighter side. They all were under more commercial presurd than jazz pianists, it seems to me. I would like to tell you more, but this is one of my temporarily misplaced items ..... Quote
tranemonk Posted June 23 Author Posted June 23 On 6/19/2026 at 2:45 PM, jazzcorner said: Another 4 CD box with Lalo Schiffrin Do you have this one? What do you think of the sound? Quote
jazzcorner Posted June 30 Posted June 30 On 6/23/2026 at 1:38 PM, tranemonk said: Do you have this one? What do you think of the sound? Re: Lalo Schifrin 4 CD box Yes have the box for quite some time. No complaints about the sound Famous Door St HL-2000 - Zoot Sims Quartet "Zoot At Ease" - rec. 1973 - Engineer: Richard Blankin Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.