Worst/Least Favorite Beatles song

Big Al

Just a casual remark on AfricaBrass's newest avatars. I still laugh because they change so frequently. Thanks for the laughs. :lol: By the way, Revolution 9 scared me as a kid; I'm talking 8 or 9 I had The White Album. It wasn't until the cds came out that I reevaluated and decided I liked it. I also had Magical Mystery Tour at that age with the booklet and the picture of Lennon in a waiter's uniform shoveling spaghetti onto Auntie Jessie's plate ALWAYS upset me, still does.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a casual remark on AfricaBrass's newest avatars. I still laugh because they change so frequently. Thanks for the laughs. :lol: By the way, Revolution 9 scared me as a kid; I'm talking 8 or 9 I had The White Album. It wasn't until the cds came out that I reevaluated and decided I liked it. I also had Magical Mystery Tour at that age with the booklet and the picture of Lennon in a waiter's uniform shoveling spaghetti onto Auntie Jessie's plate ALWAYS upset me, still does.

I was the same way. Revolution 9 scared the crap out of me as a kid too.

That whole Auntie Jesse scene in Magical Mystery Tour is uber creepy. Between the freaky music and Lennon's performance, it's very surreal. :D

Guest ariceffron

you guys have really done it this time- this is the worst thread ever. yellow sub may seem to you, the musically ignorant poster, just a hogwash of a ditty--but indeed there were many songs influenced just as much by yellow sub as any beatles tune. nownow you might be saying it still is a crappy song but if u dont like it that is your sick problem as yellow sub is a happy, happy song which everyone else who truly likes the beatles likes. procol harum have a song which fufills the same purp. yellow sub does on shine on brightly. queen actually did it a few times, on albums like their masterwork a night at the opera or their earlier sheer heart attack effort. even early pink floyd is attune to the yellow sub deal to an extent. so for you to critizize it is wrong. we ALL live in a yellow suberine, remember, and in order to coexist so it does sink or blow up you need to dig on this tune

Well, I don't live in a yellow submarine but...

I think aric has a point here. I was an eleven year old when that music was new. I never knew the album "Yellow Submarine" came off but I certainly knew "Yellow Submarine". Sang all the the variations in the playground too...I half recall a line about "We all live in a bubblegum machine" (perhaps a subconscious comment on globalisation and multinational companies!).

So the Beatles may have compromised their chance to be 'artists'. But they connected with a range of listeners well beyond what the more self-consciously 'serious' performers did. In the same way that things like "When I'm 64" got them a hearing amongst older listeners (like my Dad!) who couldn't stomach Chuck Berry riffs but liked the jaunty, music hall style songs. When being judgemental about the huge variety within the Beatles music we need to bear in mind that they were interested in connecting with a much wider audience than most groups then, before or after.

Having said that "Yellow Submarine" irritates me almost as much as "Octopuses Garden". But I'm glad they were there.

Wait a minute; has someone been listening to Revolution no. 9 not high?  :angry:

:lol::lol:

Actually, I haven't smoked anything in years, but I still love that track. :lol:

Well, I did everything possible to encourage this, short of mailing a "lid"! ;)

( Does the term "lid" hopelessly date me? It's sooooo Seventies! )

I made a "customized" tape of Revolver, omitting "the worst song ever", "Yellow Submarine". Liked that album a lot, hate that song.

YES! Take off "Yellow Submarine" and put in "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" (from the same sessions after all) and you've got one of the best albums of all time!

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is one of the weakest in my book. A song that you've really got to pull the wool over your eyes to like. The other least favorite/worst are the usual suspects: "Let It Be," "The Long and Winding Road," "Hello Goodbye" etcetera. "Mr. Moonlight" they didn't write so I'm not counting it. Besides, I always felt they did it as a goof and taken it as such.

BTW, Bev's comments above seem very on-target to me. :tup

I disagree! The worst Beatle song must surely be "Yesterday" - I prefer Revolution #9 by a long shot, at least it's able to sustain listening without vomiting.

Just because something makes YOU vomit, it dosen't mean it sucks. I may just hit the FF button.

Also I think the lyrics to MSH are sublime.

I will stand my my statement until the day I no longer walk this earth. Feel inclined to agree or disagree, I don't really care.

Abbey Road is the greatest album ever recorded in the history of mankind and recording studios! ;)

Yellow Submarine and Octopus Garden are both fairly silly but I don't have a problem with them per se.

Yeah, and besides, Ringo's singin' 'em! Makes 'em that much more enjoyable! Always liked Ringo's deadpan vocal delivery.

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" OTOH, is just plain dumb. A foreshadowing of what was to come in McCartney's solo career (right up there with "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey," except that MSH didn't have Linda's..... er, "singing" on it.)

(Edited for placement. How my response got mixed in with Moose's post, I'll never know.)

Edited by Big Al

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" OTOH, is just plain dumb. A foreshadowing of what was to come in McCartney's solo career (right up there with "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey," except that MSH didn't have Linda's..... er, "singing" on it.)

funny, cuz I like all three. Lindas performance not withstanding.

After listening to the Yellow Submarine Songtrack today, I have a new contender for worst Beatles Song:

All Together Now

I think I dislike this one more than Maxwell's Silver Hammer. At least that one had something going on musically, sorta. In a When I'm 64 kind of way.

-Erik