This way will I go

They were right, I was wrong

True love didn't last long

As the June light turns to moonlight

I'll be on my way, hey

I'll be on my way, oh, oh

I'll be on my way

Was this only performed on the BBC?? I'll do some checking of mine own later, I'm up much too late. Off to bed...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly I am a fan of the Beatles, but not the type who thinks they were totally infallable and incapable of producing a bad record; they made some real crap ---O Bla Di, Fool On The Hill, Hello Goodbye, much of it McCartney's excursions into trite and glibness.

I like stuff from all of their 'periods' but mainly the stuff from where they got themselves together, became a bit more selfish and workmanlike and ultimately fell out: ie. some stuff from Let it Be and Abbey Road era.

Don't Let Me Down is gorgeous, as is Something (obviously).

Long and Winding Road (the non - Spector version) is fantastic proving McCartney wasn't a complete nerd.

I do like the 'White Album', even though I made a passing comment elsewhere on the board. Julia is sublime.

All in all, too many favourites, too many turkeys.

'What Goes On' is indeed awful - a grotesque attempt at C & W. Rubber Soul also has 'Run For Your Life', which John said he hated. I agree with John.

'Don't Pass Me By' is pretty bad as well.

'Julia' is an often-overlooked gem. I heard Steve Slagle and Dave Stryker perform it a couple of years back - gorgeous.

Bertrand.

Well, only one song I truly hate, and I'm told I have to choose some other song ! :( (I just get pissed when I hear it cuz they could have cranked out 3 memorable tunes in it's place)

I remember A playboy short interview just about what John had to say about songs he and/or McCartney wrote that somehow wasn't used in conjunction the long interview that came out before John's death. (I think it was in the April 81 issue, WELL worth finding!) John would say who did the bulk of the writing, or what he thought of a song...and I remember him really badmouthing his own song Glass Onion, just a throwaway I think he said...lyrically, that was true, but I love the sound of the song, so there! I think they were some other tunes where the lyrics are throwaway, I mean what deep meaning can one grasp from "Lovely Rita" but it is still one of my favorite songs they ever did, don't ask me why.

And I have played I am the Walrus more than any other song ever! Smoke Pot, smoke pot, everybody smoke pot! Or is it, Got one, got one, everybody's got one?

So, if you badmouth it, I'm gonna kick your ass! :angry::angry::angry:

Or not.... :w

Edited by BERIGAN

My little boy thinks Walrus is the greatest song ever (closely followed by the opening bass riff to Dex's 'Cheesecake'), but he's only 2.

He substitutes the word cornflake for other brands of breakfast cereal, which he thinks is hilarious, so we get "sitting on a Weetabix" and so on.

This song really does transcend generations and taste doesn't it? :w

PS. Paperback Writer and Day Tripper, two of the greatest 45's ever IMO reflecting the times perfectly.

I'll Be on My Way?

Maybe.

The sun is fading away

That's the end of the day

I'll be on my way

Just one kiss and I'll go

Don't hide the tears that don't show

I'll be on my way

To where the winds don't blow

And golden rivers flow

This way will I go

I'll be on my way, hey

To where the winds don't blow

And golden rivers flow

This way will I go

I'll be on my way, hey

I'll be on my way

Was this only performed on the BBC?? I'll do some checking of mine own later, I'm up much too late. Off to bed...

Yeah, I think this is the tune I was thinking of. Here's a bunch of sound-clips, for what it's worth: AMG page w/ audio-clips.

This gets my vote for worst conventional Beatles tune.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Even ignoring the "Revolution #9" aspects of the song, I pretty much can't stand the chorus to John's "What's the New Mary Jane?". There's a version on "Anthology, Vol 3" -- but I'm pretty sure in my younger days, I had a bootleg with two or three different versions, each one trippier than the rest.

Most annoying Beatles tune ever.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

If we're including pre-Beatlemania songs then I vote for Love Of The Loved - McCartney, who else? This is on Anthology 1, part of their Decca audition. Also Harrison's You Know What To Do on Anthology 1 & You Like Me Too Much; yes, that's my actual vote, You Like Me Too Much. I love Don't Bother Me though.

Favorite of all: Tomorrow Never Knows

Some of the songs from '65/VI/Beatles For Sale are my favorites as they didn't get the radio exposure that the hits did. Or maybe it's that I played darn near all the other albums more...

I love the singing on "No Reply," "I'm A Loser" and "Yes It Is." (The different takes on the 1st two are especially fun.) Always like the way they played the Carl Perkins' songs, and "What You're Doing" is another great John & Paul together song.

The thing that always blew my mind was that of all the songs they chose to play, for some reason they picked "Baby's In Black" for those '65 live shows. :wacko:

I think BFS is more a reflection of how tired and burnt out the Beatles were, circumstances being what they were at the time: tour-record-tour-record-tour-record ad infinitum. So though it is rather weak, I don't necessarily blame them for it. Anyhow, I think Help! is far weaker!

And something that was mentioned earlier I fully agree with: there's still something to be enjoyed, no matter how much I dislike it. So even though I can't stand "HG," there's still the sound of Ringo's drums. I don't know what he did to get that sound, but it sure makes all the difference in the world (for me) on those late period Beatles albums.

... there's still the sound of Ringo's drums. I don't know what he did to get that sound, but it sure makes all the difference in the world (for me) on those late period Beatles albums.

I don't know that HE did anything in particular, but what George Martin might have done (either on his own or at Lennon/McCartney's instigation) is a whole 'nother thing...

As far as BEATLES FOR SALE (and a lot of HELP) goes, the "problem" for me isn't so much the songs as it is the playing on a lot of them. It's just strumstrumstrum, w/o the energy that made their earlier stuff so infectious or the adventurousness that made what came afterwards so intoxicating. By and large, the stuff just sits there. It's not really "bad", it's just not in that Beatlezone.

And I have played I am the Walrus more than any other song ever! Smoke Pot, smoke pot, everybody smoke pot! Or is it, Got one, got one, everybody's got one?

So, if you badmouth it, I'm gonna kick your ass! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Or not.... :w

I thought it was "hookah, hookah, everybody smokes pot..."

hookah-big.jpg

BTW, your avatar is "Humpty, rhymes with a Bumpty"! Oh yeah! :excited::excited::tup

Edited by Parkertown