creative jazz vocalists

jazz1

I am a jazz vocalists fan and I must admit that I am getting bored with the current standard fare.

I do enjoy the GAS singers of the past and some of the present, but please do not recommend new singers that are doing the same old thing.

Then I much rather listen to Helen Merrill or Sarah Vaughan.

To me most of the new crop of so-called jazz singers are in a way "cover singers" or pop singers with a jazz rythm section.

Yes I am refering to Diana Krall and Jane Monheit and the likes.

In the last year I discovered vocalists such as Jay Clayton, Judy Niemack, Kendra Shank. I am really enjoying what they are doing I wonder if any of you could suggest some more singers for me to discover.

What I am interested in are vocalist that have there own sound, style, are creative, good improvisers and are not scared to go off the beaten track.

Surely this is what jazz is all about after all.

I hope that I am not asking too much

thanks.

jazz1

For starters:

Betty Carter

Sheila Jordan

Jeanne Lee

Sathima Bea Benjamin

Do you only listen to female jazz vocalists?

I am looking for new vocalists.

I have most of the output of the artist you mentioned.

I listen to lots of music, instrumental, jazz and classical.

but I do have a weakness for jazz vocalists

BTW: I would not call Sathima a modern singer taking chances, improvising etc.

Her intonations problems can be very disturbing too.

Sheila Jordan is again a little problematic to my ears, too much mannrisms and again huge intonation problems.

From the 4 ladies you mentioned the one that comes the closer to what I am looking for is Jeanne Lee.

Guest ariceffron

THE ONLY GOOD JAZZ VOCALIST IS JUNE CHRISTY. I ALSO THINK ANITA O DAY IS GOOD BUT I DONT HAVE TOO MANY OF HER LPS SO I CANT SAY TOO MUCH. LET ME GIVE YOU A TIP ABOUT JAZZ VOCALS---IF YOU FIND A JAZZ VOCAL ALBUM AND THERE IS A SONG ON IT LIKE: "ALL BLUES"--AVOID AT ***ALL*** COSTS! THAT IS MY PET PEEVE IN JAZZ. CRAPPY VOCAL VERSIONS OF GOOD INSTRUMENTALS. BUT JUNE CHRISTY NEVER DID THAT. SHE SANG WONDERFUL STANDARDS FOR A COOL BREEZE ON A SUMMERS DAY

I would not call Sathima a modern singer taking chances, improvising etc.

Her intonations problems can be very disturbing too.

Sheila Jordan is again a little problematic to my ears, too much mannrisms and again huge intonation problems.

Ok, so you want chance taking AND perfection.

Can't help you.

You might find Dominique Eade worth a listen. Her two RCA albums -- "When the Wind Was Cool" (songs associated with Christy and Connor) and "The Long Way Home" -- are both out of print I believe but often can be found at websites and stores where cut-outs accumulate. Both albums have strong back-up bands (Benny Golson, Dave Holland, etc), and Eade is an often daring, always heady singer, though her rather "white" timbre (as in almost vibrato-less, nothing to do with race) will not be to all tastes.

Pinky is great, a beautiful interpreter of GAS, I love her stuff

but she is not what I've asked for. a creative, improvisers that takes chances

I'm afraid this stupid question might not be noticed on the "Stupid Questions" thread, so -- I'll ask it here, right where I felt stupid!

What is(are) GAS????

Great Art Songs? Golden Age Standards? Goofy Acronym Syndrome? ;)

Edited by maren

I assume you've got the Jeanne Lee-Ran Blake duo on RCA?

I'd add Patty Waters to this selection; of course her ESPs are great but the vocal rendition of "Lonely Woman" she does on Marzette Watts' Savoy LP is stunning.

And hit that Sheila Jordan thread if you haven't already. I love "Portrait of Sheila" but it is, surprisingly, one of the most hated by girlfriends. Mine, anyway.

I'm afraid this stupid question might not be noticed on the "Stupid Questions" thread, so -- I'll ask it here, right where I felt stupid!

What is(are) GAS????

Great Art Songs? Golden Age Standards? Goofy Acronym Syndrome? ;)

GAS??? could be many things but in this context I refered to the

Great American Songbook.

You know the stuff by Porter, Kern, Gerswin etc!!

I assume you've got the Jeanne Lee-Ran Blake duo on RCA?

I'd add Patty Waters to this selection; of course her ESPs are great but the vocal rendition of "Lonely Woman" she does on Marzette Watts' Savoy LP is stunning.

I have most things by Jeanne Lee, she is one of the great.

I will investigate Patty Waters, if it is on ESP it must be different!!

Thanks a million

What is(are) GAS????

Great Art Songs?  Golden Age Standards?  Goofy Acronym Syndrome? ;)

GAS??? could be many things but in this context I refered to the

Great American Songbook.

You know the stuff by Porter, Kern, Gerswin etc!!

Thanks!