Summer RVGs

scottb

Damn, gonna be a hard summer on my wallet. There's some really great titles in that list...

BLACK FIRE

IN 'N' OUT (always my fave of Henderson's BNs for some reason) and INNER URGE (nearly as great)

DOIN' ALRIGHT (ditto for Dex)

DESINATION...OUT! and ACTION

and (Blakey press roll please...) FREE FOR ALL, by the might, mighty Fuller/Shorter/Hubbard/Walton/Workman incarnation of the Messengers. YESSS!

These 7 titles would be on my short list of Blue Note's greatest for sure.

Edited by DrJ

I believe I have seen Night of the Cookers surfacing as a Spanish BN (with the blue cover) and that was one CD. Of course if it is RVG, then there may be extra tracks to push it to two CDs.

I have most of this music already so probably will not upgrade, though maybe Black Fire would be worth it, but I don't have Tyner's Tender Moments. Any thoughts on this one? I do like the song Man From Tanganyika, which is on various compilations.

I have most of these in the McMaster versions and few as TOCJ, I wont be upgrading but will go for "Inner Urge" as I dont have it.

EU BNs continue to be CC which means fewer sales to this punter.

I saw Kenton's "Back to Balboa" Cd in the racks the other day. The front cover had a very intrusive CC marker in the bottom left ( Postage stamp size) and the back cover nearly 40% of it was covered with CC information.

Who is BN kidding no one is going buy this garbage.? I don't care for Kenton but the principle is the same this isn't the answer to the "Blue Harlem" thread.

I saw Kenton's "Back to Balboa" Cd in the racks the other day. The front cover had a very intrusive CC marker in the bottom left ( Postage stamp size) and the back cover nearly 40% of it was covered with CC information.

From amazon.de:

B000171REU.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpgB000171REU.03.BACK.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Who is BN kidding no one is going buy this garbage.?

Good question. Corrupted disc and corrupted cover. I'm not buying them either. But someone obviously thought it was a great idea.

but I don't have Tyner's Tender Moments.  Any thoughts on this one?  I do like the song Man From Tanganyika, which is on various compilations.

Excellent album - you won't be disappointed. Mid-size brass-heavy group with tuba, not dis-similar in terms of group sound to the band on Hill's 'Passing Ships'. Lee Morgan is in great hot form on this one - I really like the 'Lee Plus 3' closing track which is without the larger group. Good work from Julian Priester on this session too.

Edited by sidewinder

By all mean, get "Tender Moments". It's one of McCoy's very best, IMHO. 4 and 1/2 stars, at least (in my book). :tup:tup:tup

Thanks. I'll definitely get it this summer then. I'd say my favorite Tyner on Blue Note is The Real McCoy, but perhaps this will change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the jerkish question, but if I were to put my old BN CD of Black Fire on eBay, would I get a decent price for it? It's one of my favorite discs, but I'm in a bit of a cash squeeze at the moment, and if it's coming back out soon anyway...

Is this it? It sold for $24.99.

>eBay link<

This is a very fine list with some great stuff on there with one notable exception, Night of the Cookers, a simply awful set. I had the Spanish BN set and sold it. I will definitely upgrade Inner Urge. There's a few I don't have that I will be getting like Breaking Point and Blue Spirits.

Edited by Brad