Sonny Stitt at DJ Lounge

BeBop

Someone must fix this problem right away.

Sonny's really in his element on this one - out in front of an organ, and alongside another tenor player (John Board - assume this is the same cat who blew with Hamp, McGriff and BB; can anyone confirm?). Actually, I suppose Sonny was - or perceived himself to be a step ahead of his tenor 'rival' - but I always figured that was what inspired him to be at his competitive best. I can recall seeing him with Griff and Eddie Harris (two separate dates)...but that's a story for another thread.

Can't really says the tenors are playing 'foes' here, but they do keep the heat up.

This is one kick ass, take no prisoners session, if I can borrow a line that I'm sure Jim S must have used. The organ player is on fire here and this is one of the better Sonny sessions from that time period. It's hard to believe that it's oop. Anyone needing it should check with Hiroshi. This one cries out to be reissued in this country.

The lineup: Sonny Stitt (the Ringer), John Board, Edward Buster, Joe Shelton

(yawn)

The tunes: McKie's, It All Depends on You, Blue Moon, Jay Tee, I'm in the Mood For Love, Free Chicken.

(Three relatively unexciting warhorses and three dazzlingly okay Stitt originals. Another yawn.)

The liner notes, reproduced here in their entirety: " "

You want a definition of the term "sleeper"?

Sonny's really in his element on this one - out in front of an organ, and alongside another tenor player (John Board - assume this is the same cat who blew with Hamp, McGriff and BB; can anyone confirm?). 

I can confirm that it's the same Johnny Board...I was the producer on the album, and I agree that it would be a valuable addition to any Stitt collection.

I guess the trouble is that Sonny would record with anyone who'd come up with a few bucks, so consequently there was just too much product out there for any one of them to do well.

Plus which it came out at a time when the jazz market was in a woeful state.

Jack Tracy

Mr. Tracy,

Thanks for producing it. Sometimes it takes a while for the value of such things to be recognized.

Oddly, I've had the album for many years, but hadn't recognized its 'greatness' in time to mention it to Sonny before he passed.

...and so she spins.

I have the Japan mini-LP too . One question that comes up frequently about this one is whether or not some/all of the organ solos were edited out. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I recall that there may be one or two short organ solos. Maybe Mr. Tracy can comment on this.

So JackTracy, do you think the original masters exist without the organ solos edited out?

Please remember that this album was recorded more than 40 years ago and was only one of many that I produced at that time. As best as I can recall, and not having seen or heard the album in at least 30 years, I don't believe I edited out any organ solos when we made the master tape.

If any of the solos were cut, I am assuming it was done when the tapes were being prepared for CD release or for reissue.

To those of you who ask, let me ask you: Are there any obvious splices or places where an organ solo was omitted or shortened?

Jack Tracy

So JackTracy, do you think the original masters exist without the organ solos edited out?

Please remember that this album was recorded more than 40 years ago and was only one of many that I produced at that time. As best as I can recall, and not having seen or heard the album in at least 30 years, I don't believe I edited out any organ solos when we made the master tape.

If any of the solos were cut, I am assuming it was done when the tapes were being prepared for CD release or for reissue.

To those of you who ask, let me ask you: Are there any obvious splices or places where an organ solo was omitted or shortened?

Jack Tracy

Well Jack, that only proves that you handled the splicing better than Dick Bock!!

;)

Just kidding.

I have a burn from the original LP at home, I'd have to give a listen to see how much solo time the organist got.

• 5 years later...

I got curious about this and discovered it has been released as part of a twofer on one CD called Move On Over.

The other one - with Nicky Hill on tenor - is damn good, too.

I have the twofer and an Italian edition of the LP, issued when Chess was part of Sugar Hill. Looking at the stated times on the LP (I haven't actually clocked anything) one minute and ten+ seconds have been cut out of "Free chicken".

I've kept the LP :)

MG

Nothing to go by but this one album, and it might have been the best he ever played in his life, I don't know, but damn was John Board a beautiful player!

He was involved with "Operation Breadbasket" and made an album for Cadet at the time, with that title. But I don't think it was his name in lights, I think it was "Operation breadbasket". I saw a copy in Soul Jazz Records a few years ago, but there was so much other stuff to buy...

MG