Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ccc+cover.jpg

CREATIVE CONSTRUCTION COMPANY, VOL. II - Muse LP. Leroy Jenkins, Anthony Braxton, Leo Smith, Muhal Richard Abrams, Richard Davis, Steve McCall. Ornette Coleman "recording supervisor." 9 May 1970, Washington Square Methodist Church.

CCC- two great albums.

190820929392.jpg

Another one of those great Braxton Quartets. This one, "Performance for Quartet," live at Willisau, September 1, 1979. Braxton alto, Bb soprano and Eb soprano saxophones, cl, contrabass cl), Ray Anderson (tb, alto tb, little instruments), John Lindberg (b), Thurman Barker (perc, xylophone, gongs).

Count-Basie-Arthur-Prysock.jpg

Did they expect people to buy this record? Looks like they did (and no doubt, with good reason)! This is one of those definitive albums, although the notion of Jazz Lowenbrau may make some cringe, so does Champale, and I've had soem glorious times in the company of Champale. So, let it be known.

12662128804_d43e51163e.jpg

Played earlier (this could be the start of something binge):

R-2583661-1295742448.jpeg

Looks to be a "leftovers" album (and sounds like one), but still, it's time for me to come to a Full Personal Reckoning with Arthur Prysock once and for all, not just an assorted batch of assimilations, inferences, and references. As with always and everything, with an eye to move on ahead, but forward through, not around easily. Right now it's Unfinished Business (as in yes, unfinished and yes, business as well as Unfinished Business). That voice should not be casually considered. The settings, sure, but not the voice, and ultimately, it's the voice that tells the story, the real story.

DSCF2706.JPG

Bob Moses - Bittersuite in the Ozone [Mozown]

today's arrival. More Jeanne Lee (can't go wrong there) but that's not it's only delight. Initial impressions are interesting line up and some pretty interesting sounds - unsurprisingly perhaps, heavy on rhythm. Looking forward to getting to know it better

Edited by mjazzg

The second side is extraordinary.

I used to have a few copies of that LP - I'd find it for like $5 and buy it and nobody wanted it!

I paid more than $5 ....but I'm happy nonetheless

edit: to add that CT's spot on about side two - an extraordinary piece of music. the rhythmic emphasis apparent on the first side is replaced by a restrained and beautiful lyricism

Edited by mjazzg

A0166430.jpg

A compilation of material from two Old Town albums (seemed to have been some symbiosis between the two labels) and liner notes by Orin Keepnews, whoopie-doo. Note - the Verve label is blue, and we all know what - Not Intended Strictly (If At All) For Jazz Audiences!

And yet, this is a mostly sublime collection of mostly top-flight standards, ballads all, no syrup for these hot cakes, just lots and lots of rich, sweet honey, very much a bedroom record, If I'm talking about shaft, then can you dig it?

Also:

200303l.jpg

Three cuts with Basie (again, that symbiosis with Verve, and that includes the font, eh?), one of which ("Do Nothing Til You Hear From Me") has a bit from Jaws that sounds like he knows exactly who will be listening to this record. It's one of the damndest bit of "targeting" (I've ever heard a jazz soloist do, subtle yet unmistakeable. Lock never wanted for work, and this is why - he delivered as promised, and he would not make a promise he couldn't keep.

The rest of the record, though...kinda ticky-tocky, although I guess from a "study" perspective, you can make the case for Arthur Prysock being the missing link between Billy Eckstine & Brook Benton. And speaking of making promises that can or cannot be kept, a song with the title "Only A Fool Breaks His Own Heart"...you don't give a song a title like that unless you can back it up 100*% and....not thinking that it happened like that here...too bad.

Otherwise, I got about 6-7 more Prysock LPs top go through, on both Verve & Old Town, and it's not exactly something I'm dreading, if you know what I mean.

Sante Palumbo "sway" (cipiti, Italy). Killer Italian jazz rock fusion from 1973

Breaking Circus "the ice machine" (homestead, USA)...starting to dip into some early likes from 1986

Bad Brains "rock for light" (PVC, USA)...started listening to this band in 1988...this is a much older lp and well worn...classic stuff I never get tired of hearing