• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Selections from Larry Young in Paris (Resonance), Selections from Getz/Gilberto '76 (Resonance), and Gene Krupa Sextet No. 1 (Clef ten inch).

Where do you go in DFW to get Record Store Day releases?

I found the Larry Young at Josey Lane Records (the last copy they had, it appeared), and the Getz at Dead Wax in Carrolton (they had more copies of both the Young and the Getz and they may well still be there--this is a tiny store near Babe's (right next to a Twisted Root) which otherwise has nothing much of jazz interest).

Have not heard of either of those stores, thanks, what other secret DFW stores do you go to? ;)

Selections from Larry Young in Paris (Resonance), Selections from Getz/Gilberto '76 (Resonance), and Gene Krupa Sextet No. 1 (Clef ten inch).

Where do you go in DFW to get Record Store Day releases?

I found the Larry Young at Josey Lane Records (the last copy they had, it appeared), and the Getz at Dead Wax in Carrolton (they had more copies of both the Young and the Getz and they may well still be there--this is a tiny store near Babe's (right next to a Twisted Root) which otherwise has nothing much of jazz interest).

Have not heard of either of those stores, thanks, what other secret DFW stores do you go to? ;)

Alas, In Dallas I really just patronize the main HPB and various smaller HPBs, and Josey Lane Records. The latter has been open for a few months and is pretty good--a nice large store, I'd recommend your going there--a large selection of jazz LPs and most not priced too high. It's on 635 and Josey Lane, on the right access road heading west, next to a boot store and a motorcycle shop. As for Dead Wax, the only reason to go there is to pick up jazz RSD releases, as they seem to get a supply and don't seem to have jazz fan patrons. They even had the Miles Davis 10 inch box set, but at $80 for something that I already had in multiple versions, I passed.

Edited by kh1958

Yeah, is this place looking to be the DFW Dusty Groove? I would not mind that.

Not a linkable image, but...hello obsessive jazz compulsists, bring your wallet and/or phone or however you pay for things these days.

https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10675710_549343671833639_1544946976819342471_n.jpg?oh=5f182993d94b771bc8363ffd2fd6db77&oe=55D07B54

Yeah, is this place looking to be the DFW Dusty Groove? I would not mind that.

Not a linkable image, but...hello obsessive jazz compulsists, bring your wallet and/or phone or however you pay for things these days.

https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10675710_549343671833639_1544946976819342471_n.jpg?oh=5f182993d94b771bc8363ffd2fd6db77&oe=55D07B54

It's a nice store, with a friendly staff; I go there once a week. The location is a bit awkward at present, being in the thick of 635 construction hell. They don't have much in the way of CDs, just a few used ones. Lots of LPs though (mosty used, some new). I haven't yet failed to find something I wanted on a visit. There's a large selection of classical records as well. And a giant selection of bargain LPs that I've never had the strength to even attempt to look through.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/10/can_josey_records_be_dallas_iconic_record_store.php

Edited by kh1958

The Group (Ahmed Abdullah, Marion Brown, Billy Bang, Sirone, Fred Hopkins, Andrew Cyrille) - Live [2012, NoBusiness]

It can't be stressed enough, how great it is to have labels like NoBusiness around who do a fantastic job of making this historically important music available to us. But besides the historical importance, this is just also a great album to listen to.

the_group_live.jpg

Mikolaj Trzaska, Devin Hoff, Michael Zergang - Sleepless in Chicago [2013, NoBusiness]

For some reason Trzaska is one of the (what I call) power players who I just really love. Although his sound can get real aggressive and forceful, there's also always heart and spirituality to his playing which makes him stand out against many others for me.

Trzaska-Hoff-Zerang.jpg

Edited by niels

Actually I think €18,- is a fair price for a vinyl album, but if you order from NoBusiness directly shipping can get quite pricey.

For this, I tend to order from Multikulti (Poland) if I buy more items ( I paid around €7 for shipping two vinyl albums and two CD's).

ok ill give you that but my copy hasnt aged well, it sounds particularly bad. need to find a sealed of this

dawg is yours not the 80s DMM pressing, cause i have the common press of this, omg its my far the nosiest hank disc in my entire collection. i would just love to see this session recut as an audiophile lp set, it seems way overdue

far-away-lands-541933ce6c1f3.jpg

Hank Mobley - Far Away Lands (BN Teldec)