• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.solidviper.com/coverart/large/201472l.jpg   http://wing-auctions.c.yimg.jp/sim?furl=auctions.c.yimg.jp/images.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/image/ra185/users/4/4/0/6/mikaramu2001-img600x450-1459346262qpspvs20575.jpg&dc=1&sr.fs=20000

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-h03gu3zcfFU/UYBIpOfYgVI/AAAAAAAACS0/jZrj70_bwwQ/s1600/115395673.jpg

Arnett Cobb - Ballads by Cobb (Status/Moodsville hybrid - mono)

Anthony Braxton - Dona Lee (America). Pianist Michael Smith doesn't sound like he knows quite what to do on the standards, but he is sensitive and responsive on Braxton's originals. I always got the impression that he wasn't really a "Jazz with a capital J" pianist.

Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society - Street Priest (Moers)

Joe Henderson "In'n'out" (Blue Note, stereo NY USA "ear")

Joe Henderson "page one" (Blue Note, Music Matters 33rpm reissue). The only Henderson Blue Note I do not own as an original.  Which is okay because this reissue sounds sublime.  I love all the Joe Henderson albums on Blue Note..brilliant stuff.

And now:

Akira Miyasaki "Kiso" (Victor, Japan original). A monster Japanese jazz album...really heavy

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I see those pressings on occasion and they always look a bit on the 'budget' side - I guess they must have been mid-price on issue?

chizuru314jp2002-img600x450-1462178096mp

Aka Soul Groove.   A pretty lacklustre session. Not helped by UK Polydors flat sounding pressing.

They were mid-price (21/- IIRC).  Thin card covers, clarifoil on the front,plain white backs,that became grubby in no time.

Masahiko Sato "trinity" (Enja, Japan white label promo). I have a few Japanese pressings of Enja titles and they all sound phenomenal; terrific pressings.  I have not played this in 10-15 years or so; a very strong "live in the studio" session featuring Pierre Favre on drums and Peter Warren on bass. Recorded in 1971 during a peak phase of Sato's career IMO so it's pretty much indispensable for fans.

Sabu Toyozumi Unit "the masterpiece" (Alm, Japan).  Wow this is an amazing album.  This was never at the top of my radar so for many years I never really bothered to search or bid hard for it; I think from the lineup I expected a bit of a typical free jazz blowfest.  Anyways I finally found a mint copy for a really good price and it certainly is a lot better then I expected it to be.  Very cool album.  Maybe I'll dig out "message to Chicago" next!