wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

46,160 posts in this topic

Sonny Rollins Vol 1 - later blue label press

Don Patterson, Soul Happening (Prestige)

Billy Strayhorn, The Peaceful Side (United Artists)

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2719601-1353648793-3021.jpeg.jpg

Chet Baker Trio: Mr. B (Timeless)

29532097ue.gif!

29536022of.jpg

JAMES MOODY/GEORGE WALLINGTON: THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE BOP. BLUE NOTE B 6503 K [1969]

Hawley Adams Currens + J.P. Richards -- Many Years of Love to You -- (Tiwa, US)

pretty fine improvised violin/vibes-percussion duos and trios (w/ flute) out of San Francisco.

3 hours ago, optatio said:

29536022of.jpg

JAMES MOODY/GEORGE WALLINGTON: THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE BOP. BLUE NOTE B 6503 K [1969]

Still have that one and enjoy giving it the occasional spin. Bought in Liverpool as a cut out back in the late 1970s. The story I heard is that shipments of those were loaded into freighters in NYC as ballast for offloading up there. :D

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Still have that one and enjoy giving it the occasional spin. Bought in Liverpool as a cut out back in the late 1970s. The story I heard is that shipments of those were loaded into freighters in NYC as ballast for offloading up there. :D

My copy is a German pressing. It is not a stereo recording, so "Stereo" was crossed out!

29540799is.jpg

rogers_cool.JPG

Shorty Rogers, Cool and Crazy (HMV, UK) 10". Really nice charts and playing, featuring Art "Salt" on saxophone.

JALP712-frontcover1jpg.jpg

'Bird Curtis Quintet' (Jazzaggression, mono). Finnish reissue of a very rare UK album from 1968, reputedly in better sound. The vinyl comes with a CD and download (the vinyl has the definite edge in sound quality). Along with the Amancio d'Silva, my reissue of the year so far !

Edited by sidewinder

Oliver Nelson -- Blues and the Abstract Truth -- (Impulse, 2nd cover late 60s stereo)

On 2017-6-21 at 8:06 AM, sidewinder said:

JALP712-frontcover1jpg.jpg

'Bird Curtis Quintet' (Jazzaggression, mono). Finnish reissue of a very rare UK album from 1968, reputedly in better sound. The vinyl comes with a CD and download (the vinyl has the definite edge in sound quality). Along with the Amancio d'Silva, my reissue of the year so far !

Such a hearty recommendation piques my interest and worries my wallet. Who are the Bird Curtis Quintet? Listening to some online samples I like what I hear

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Such a hearty recommendation piques my interest and worries my wallet. Who are the Bird Curtis Quintet? Listening to some online samples I like what I hear

The Bird Curtis Quintet were the regular band at the Green Man in Blackheath, S.London  I saw them several times there in the late 60 or thereabouts. I can't recall them making a very big impression on me back then.  

Edited by JohnS
typo

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

The Bird Curtis Quintet were the regular band at the Green Man in Blackheath, S.London  I saw them several times there in the late 60 or thereabouts. I can't recall them making a very big impression on me back then.  

thanks

The Bird Curtis Quintet LP is certainly no lost masterpiece but is a fine, very enjoyable session - especially so as these guys were semi-pro I believe. Ian Bird on tenor and alto, in particular, plays very nicely and should be better known. A cohesive and well put together session which any fan of, say, Rendell-Carr is sure to enjoy. The reissue package is also exemplary - considering the reasonable price.

End of sales pitch. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Harold Ashby, The Viking (Gemini) w. Norman Simmons Trio accompanying

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Harold Ashby, The Viking (Gemini) w. Norman Simmons Trio accompanying

Very good ....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Very good ....

I hope so; at the moment I am only "spinning" can't monitor inputs to the PC while recording.

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Bird Curtis Quintet LP is certainly no lost masterpiece but is a fine, very enjoyable session - especially so as these guys were semi-pro I believe. Ian Bird on tenor and alto, in particular, plays very nicely and should be better known. A cohesive and well put together session which any fan of, say, Rendell-Carr is sure to enjoy. The reissue package is also exemplary - considering the reasonable price.

Thanks Sidewinder. It's on the "to buy" list now which given the length of the list could mean anytime between now and Kingdom Come

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

My copy arrived today and I'd agree 100% , solid session and very enjoyable but it's no Rosetta stone for sure. Well worth it.

NP

Binker & Moses---------Journey to the moutain of forever--------(Gearbox) LP 2

these guys are new to me (although they've release previously on gearbox ) No less than Evan Parker guests on the second LP.  Good meeting of minds. Nothing earth shattering but solid modern jazz with strong rhythmic sensibilities. 

Not to forget either that there are two new unissued Neil Ardley releases coming up on CD (sorry, wrong thread :D).

Must check out the 'Binker & Moses'.

Edited by sidewinder

Mike Nock - Ondas [ECM]

one of the best that Manfred's never seen fit to reissue on CD (also goes to show, no hard feelings on the rugby front :))

8 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-4369009-1425832120-7801.jpeg.jpg

Buster Bailey: All About Memphis (Felsted/Affinity)

Tremendous ....