Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JALP712-frontcover1jpg.jpg

'Bird Curtis Quintet' (Jazzaggression, mono). Finnish reissue of a very rare UK album from 1968, reputedly in better sound. The vinyl comes with a CD and download (the vinyl has the definite edge in sound quality). Along with the Amancio d'Silva, my reissue of the year so far !

Edited by sidewinder

On 2017-6-21 at 8:06 AM, sidewinder said:

JALP712-frontcover1jpg.jpg

'Bird Curtis Quintet' (Jazzaggression, mono). Finnish reissue of a very rare UK album from 1968, reputedly in better sound. The vinyl comes with a CD and download (the vinyl has the definite edge in sound quality). Along with the Amancio d'Silva, my reissue of the year so far !

Such a hearty recommendation piques my interest and worries my wallet. Who are the Bird Curtis Quintet? Listening to some online samples I like what I hear

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Such a hearty recommendation piques my interest and worries my wallet. Who are the Bird Curtis Quintet? Listening to some online samples I like what I hear

The Bird Curtis Quintet were the regular band at the Green Man in Blackheath, S.London  I saw them several times there in the late 60 or thereabouts. I can't recall them making a very big impression on me back then.  

Edited by JohnS
typo

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

The Bird Curtis Quintet were the regular band at the Green Man in Blackheath, S.London  I saw them several times there in the late 60 or thereabouts. I can't recall them making a very big impression on me back then.  

thanks

The Bird Curtis Quintet LP is certainly no lost masterpiece but is a fine, very enjoyable session - especially so as these guys were semi-pro I believe. Ian Bird on tenor and alto, in particular, plays very nicely and should be better known. A cohesive and well put together session which any fan of, say, Rendell-Carr is sure to enjoy. The reissue package is also exemplary - considering the reasonable price.

End of sales pitch. :)

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Bird Curtis Quintet LP is certainly no lost masterpiece but is a fine, very enjoyable session - especially so as these guys were semi-pro I believe. Ian Bird on tenor and alto, in particular, plays very nicely and should be better known. A cohesive and well put together session which any fan of, say, Rendell-Carr is sure to enjoy. The reissue package is also exemplary - considering the reasonable price.

Thanks Sidewinder. It's on the "to buy" list now which given the length of the list could mean anytime between now and Kingdom Come

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

My copy arrived today and I'd agree 100% , solid session and very enjoyable but it's no Rosetta stone for sure. Well worth it.

NP

Binker & Moses---------Journey to the moutain of forever--------(Gearbox) LP 2

these guys are new to me (although they've release previously on gearbox ) No less than Evan Parker guests on the second LP.  Good meeting of minds. Nothing earth shattering but solid modern jazz with strong rhythmic sensibilities. 

Zoot Sims - Cookin'!

4005652328.jpg

A beautiful copy from the vaults  of  G.E. Mechen, Brighton.

A remarkable session recorded at the RS Club in the early 60s. Awesome Stan Tracey!

The cover is as colourful as the liner notes are: "in these days of tortuous harmonic complexity,..., his distinctive tenor was always a very warm and exciting voice among the often pale intellectualized and over-arranged sounds produced at the time." :lol:

8 hours ago, aparxa said:

Zoot Sims - Cookin'!

4005652328.jpg

A beautiful copy from the vaults  of  G.E. Mechen, Brighton.

A remarkable session recorded at the RS Club in the early 60s. Awesome Stan Tracey!

The cover is as colourful as the liner notes are: "in these days of tortuous harmonic complexity,..., his distinctive tenor was always a very warm and exciting voice among the often pale intellectualized and over-arranged sounds produced at the time." :lol:

Obviously not an alternative for vinyl buffs but the CD edition "Complete Zoot Sims at Ronnie Scott's" released by Acrobat features excellent bonus material and unedited tracks ("Love For Sale" !!) .... pretty good sounding too ....