Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-5494138-1394827662-1957.jpeg.jpg

These 1960 recordings were the first made by Butterbeans & Susie in 30 years.  I guess these were their last recordings as well since the liner notes state Susie passed away in 1963.  There are some great small bands backing them here including Dicky Wells (who has a gorgeous solo on "Until The Real Thing Comes Along"), Gene Cedric, Sidney DeParis and Earl Warren.  The pianist and arranger on all tracks was Eddie Heywood, Jr. whose father (Eddie Sr,) had been the accompanist for Butterbeans & Susie from 1924-36.

Edited by duaneiac

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Speaking of harmony:

I was listening to Delmore Brothers 78s the other day.

Just now:

220px-Disney_Satchmo.jpeg  ColtraneExpression.jpg

Louis Armstrong - Disney Songs the Satchmo Way (Buena Vista)

John Coltrane - Expression (Impulse stereo)

Makes sense to me. The Armstrong Disney album, hokey as it is, has what are perhaps Louis' last great recorded trumpet solos. The first solo on "Chim Chim Cheree" is just stunning.

6157875320_2e26f72601_z.jpg

Can an album be simultaneously dated and fresh-sounding?  This one is to me.  It's clearly an product of its era, but the decades have not dimmed the shimmering vocals and "hip" arrangements.

s-l1000.jpg

Recorded at the Great American Music Hall (hmmm, I wonder how many years it has been since they have featured any jazz performers there?) and the Paul Masson Winery (I know it has been decades since they have featured any jazz performers there, outside of Diana Krall) in 1982, with Martin Taylor, Diz Disley and Jack Sewing.

Earl-Fatha-Hines-Solo-Walk-In-Tokyo-LP-N

Copyright 1977 on the album, but no info on when or where it was recorded.

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

6157875320_2e26f72601_z.jpg

Can an album be simultaneously dated and fresh-sounding?  This one is to me.  It's clearly an product of its era, but the decades have not dimmed the shimmering vocals and "hip" arrangements.

Lovely 60's cover art ....

Edited by soulpope