• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listened to this last night:

R-3201886-1320261390.jpeg.jpg

Richard Beirach - Breathing of Statues (CMP, 1983)

Solo piano.  If you haven't heard this, imagine a marriage of jazz -- spontaneity and freedom -- combined with, say, late Beethoven, Scriabin, and Prokofiev.  It's strange, unsettling, and stinkin' brilliant music.  Uncategorizable.  I've never heard anything else quite like it. 

One of my desert-island discs, for sure.  

1 minute ago, HutchFan said:

Listened to this last night:

R-3201886-1320261390.jpeg.jpg

Richard Beirach - Breathing of Statues (CMP, 1983)

Solo piano.  If you haven't heard this, imagine a marriage of jazz -- spontaneity and freedom -- combined with, say, late Beethoven, Scriabin, and Prokofiev.  It's strange, unsettling, and stinkin' brilliant music.  Uncategorizable.  I've never heard anything else quite like it. 

One of my desert-island discs, for sure.  

Great record. I couldn't sleep the other night and just sat up listening to it. It's the Beirach record where his style really does work.

17 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Since I haven't got any Garner in my collection, I gave myself a gift with this lavish mammoth:41E3vPQQzAL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2C

Erroll Garner was quite popular during my youth (70´s) by people who otherwise didn´t listen to jazz. Oscar Peterson and Erroll Garner. They didn´t have Bird or Miles or Trane or Mingus etc in their collections, but listened to Garner or Peterson when they felt that they might listen to some "jazz". It was especially upper middleclass people. They always had piano trio jazz, no horns. 
But sometimes I like a little Garner. Sounds happy and makes you smile, especially the medium tempos with that special Garner Beat. Actually I have only one Garner in my huge collection, it was a present from my wife and it´s "Up in Erroll´s Room", with some brass added. On that one, Garner even plays Dizzy´s "Groovin´ High" .....

Herunterladen (3).jpg

Edited by Gheorghe

18 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Erroll Garner was quite popular during my youth (70´s) by people who otherwise didn´t listen to jazz. Oscar Peterson and Erroll Garner. They didn´t have Bird or Miles or Trane or Mingus etc in their collections, but listened to Garner or Peterson when they felt that they might listen to some "jazz". It was especially upper middleclass people. They always had piano trio jazz, no horns. 
But sometimes I like a little Garner. Sounds happy and makes you smile, especially the medium tempos with that special Garner Beat. Actually I have only one Garner in my huge collection, it was a present from my wife and it´s "Up in Erroll´s Room", with some brass added. On that one, Garner even plays Dizzy´s "Groovin´ High" .....

It’s still easy to find Garner in any second hand shop. When I first started to listen to jazz he was one of the first artists I heard of for precisely that reason.

Strange, because, whilst it is definitely “happy” music, it certainly isn’t easy listening.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Herunterladen (3).jpg

In the 60s jazz snobs for whom hard bop was everything used to look down on my taste for Garner. But they were wrong.^_^

17 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Please let us know what you think !

I am not acquainted with Garner, so I can't compare these records with other Garner's ones. I like the fews I listened to. Sound is good, both cds and vinyls. The 45 original records has a forgotten sound of old radio singles. The set is probably overdressed, I really don't need the cassette. Overall I am satisfied.

17 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

I am not acquainted with Garner, so I can't compare these records with other Garner's ones. I like the fews I listened to. Sound is good, both cds and vinyls. The 45 original records has a forgotten sound of old radio singles. The set is probably overdressed, I really don't need the cassette. Overall I am satisfied.

Good stuff !

For a long time (at least since the 70s) Garner’s music wasn’t exactly overflowing in the racks here. I only recall that Savoy double LP ‘The Elf’ in addition to the omnipresent Columbia Concert by the Sea. 

I guess his manager Martha Glasser must have put the kibosh on things.

Amazing to see that they have included a cassette in the package. It will be wire tape recordings next !

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It’s still easy to find Garner in any second hand shop. When I first started to listen to jazz he was one of the first artists I heard of for precisely that reason.

Strange, because, whilst it is definitely “happy” music, it certainly isn’t easy listening.

I can relate, the very first jazz records I bought in a second hand store back in 2001 were:
Art Tatum – Baptisé "Chopin Fou" (WEA)
Bud Powell – The Genius Of Bud Powell (Verve)
Fats Waller – Ain't Misbehavin' (Dreyfus Jazz)
Erroll Garner – Erroll's A-Garner (Vogue)
Oscar Peterson – Indispensables RCA (the 1945-1949 recordings)

NP:
Erroll_01.jpg

Available on every yard sale in France :lol:, but still wonderful music from the 1947-1949 period, pretty much the same as the CD I have listed above.

A Voz de Gilberto Gil (Fontana)

Alan Braufman/Cooper Moore, Live at WKCR May 22, 1972 

Art Farmer, The Aztec Suite (United Artists)Image result for a voz de gilberto gil fontanaImage result for art farmer aztec suitea0335809800_16.jpg

On 10/15/2021 at 3:28 AM, BillF said:

In the 60s jazz snobs for whom hard bop was everything used to look down on my taste for Garner. But they were wrong.^_^

Erroll Garner = One of the greatest jazz pianists.

Edited by kh1958

R-1211315-1512319811-4132.jpeg.jpg

Julian Priester And Marine Intrusion - Polarization [ECM, Germany 1977]

Revisiting this and I was prompted, maybe for the first time, to check who was playing saxophone - Ron Stallings, now I need to find out more about him.  So how did someone more used to playing with Elvin Bishop, Southern Comfort and later Huey Lewis get this gig I wonder?

Edited by mjazzg

My guess would be some kind of SF/Bay Area connection.

yeah, per: https://www.bluenote.com/artist/julian-priester/

Priester worked with Duke Ellington for six months during 1969-70, and shortly thereafter accepted his highest-profile gig with Herbie Hancock’s Headhunters-era fusion band. Upon his departure in 1973, Priester moved to San Francisco and recorded two dates for ECM, 1974’s Love, Love and 1977’s Polarization.

I think they mean Mwandishi, but otherwise, it's a fit.