wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

50,183 posts in this topic

Must have been the consequence of one of Francis Wolff’s European Summer holidays and a deal which was made. 

Rearward also put out an additional LP of material from those sessions, recorded in Koln I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now:

R-12256774-1554640011-4519.jpeg.jpg

I like this record, but I wish it had been mixed differently.  It's too treble-y, giving the music a flat aspect.  Where's the low-end ooomphh ?!? 

 

Earlier:

R-2521059-1288546686.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chic Chic Chico!

R-2064077-1624264601-5285.jpeg.jpg

How about that cape? ... Most dudes would look silly wearing that thing.  But Chico looks debonair.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oudi Hrant, Turkish Delights (Prestige). Brief liner notes and no recording date/discographical information included or in Prestige discography. The leader is superb on oud. There are also ensemble performances. Several feature saxophone solos. The saxophonist sounds like Zoot Sims.Image result for Oudi Hrant turkish delights prestige records

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Chic Chic Chico!

R-2064077-1624264601-5285.jpeg.jpg

How about that cape? ... Most dudes would look silly wearing that thing.  But Chico looks debonair.

 

All these guys smoking back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Oudi Hrant, Turkish Delights (Prestige). Brief liner notes and no recording date/discographical information included or in Prestige discography. The leader is superb on oud. There are also ensemble performances. Several feature saxophone solos. The saxophonist sounds like Zoot Sims.Image result for Oudi Hrant turkish delights prestige records

Awesome, would love to check this out. I believe the saxophonist could be Joe Maneri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jlhoots said:

All these guys smoking back in the day.

Yeah. It was ubiquitous.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Awesome, would love to check this out. I believe the saxophonist could be Joe Maneri.

Please elaborate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now on my 'table:

HILTON_RUIZ_CROSSCURRENTS-590350.jpg

Hilton Ruiz - Crosscurrents (Stash, 1985)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next:

R-738131-1556082443-6880.jpeg.jpg

John Carter - Fields (Gramavision, 1988)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Awesome, would love to check this out. I believe the saxophonist could be Joe Maneri.

I just lucked into this on eBay in perfect condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coleman Hawkins, Album volume 1 (Trio)

Eric Kloss, First Class Kloss (Prestige)Image result for Coleman hawkins anthology trio volume 1Image result for eric Kloss first class kloss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

R-1061137-1461343290-2399.jpeg.jpg

NY mono.

Good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, porcy62 said:

R-1061137-1461343290-2399.jpeg.jpg

NY mono.

Excellent ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Good one.

I admit I am not a great fan of Roland Kirk's multi instrument playing but I can appreciate the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks for posting this. 

Yeah, I'll have to listen closer to the Prestige but the Cleopatra date isn't far off and that has been confirmed to be Maneri. I could ask Mat next time I see him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah! I have the same Prestige record by Hrant, only named named Eastern Standard Time. Got it off a blog, and it's on the Near East label, a Prestige subsidiary.

Listed here as: https://www.jazzdisco.org/prestige-records/catalog-lively-arts-30000-irish-35000-near-east-45000-series/#nelp-45005

NELP 45005   The Genius Of Oudi Hrant - Eastern Standard Time   1962

Udi Hrant Kenkulian as Oudi Hrant, oud; with ensemble Morty Lewis, tenor sax

Morty Lewis?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/439252-Morty-Lewis

https://www.discogs.com/release/1898508-The-Glenn-Miller-Orchestra-In-The-Digital-Mood

https://www.radioswissjazz.ch/de/musikdatenbank/titel/99978b76e079d44713d49300514d75f8dd69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alternatively, from the Bandcamp page that Niko linked to above

" the resulting LP, originally issued as Eastern Standard Time in 1962 and subsequently reissued as Turkish Delights, included several tracks with jazz saxophonist Johnny Griffin"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

Alternatively, from the Bandcamp page that Niko linked to above

" the resulting LP, originally issued as Eastern Standard Time in 1962 and subsequently reissued as Turkish Delights, included several tracks with jazz saxophonist Johnny Griffin"

No way that is Johnny Griffin. Definitely a Lestorian tenor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.