• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jack McDuff - Tough 'Duff - Prestige plum label

The Soul Stirrers - Strength, power and love - Jewel orig

MG

Mind giving a little info on "The Soul Stirrers"? Never heard of them.

A gospel vocal group which included Sam Cooke.

Yes, the Soul Stirrers were formed in Texas, in the thirties I think. The original lead singer was Rebert H Harris. Started recording in early 1940s, then for Aladdin in 1946. Backup lead was Paul Foster from 1950, when they started recording for Specialty. Harris left the group in 1951. Sam Cooke recruited to replace him. Paul Foster continued alternating many leads with Cooke (these are, I think, the most exciting of the Stirrers' singles from the Cooke period). Cooke left 1957, replaced by Johnnie Taylor, previously with the Highway QCs, the Soul Stirrers' training quartet. Leroy Crume joined group on baritone and playing guitar, when group left Specialty and recorded for Cooke's label, Sar. Taylor left 1960, also to pursue career in Soul, replaced by Jimmy Outler; Foster still with the group! Foster and Outler left in 1965, replaced by Willie Rogers and Arthur Crume; group now recording for Checker. Rufus Crume arrives; now three of them in the group!

Strength, power and love was recorded in 1973 and the personnel was:

Dillard Crume - lead guitar & organ

Arthur Crume - rhythm guitar

Rufus Crume - bass & guitar

Sonny Thompson - piano (this was the great blues pianist whose "Long gone" was a huge R&B hit in 1948)

Terry Thompson - drums

A more or less total takeover by the Crume Brothers! Although there are a few hangovers from the Cooke style, the album is rather different from their earlier recordings; more power-packed, less subtle.

MG

Guitar LPs made in England!

Kenny Burrell - All day long and all night long (just the two long title tracks - can't be asked to listen to all that fifties Hard Bop :)) - Prestige RCA UK issue

Kenny Burrell with Coleperson Hawkins - Bluesy Burrell - MV Xtra UK issue

Calvin Newborn - From the hip - Rooster Jazz orig (and this one was even recorded in England - Wave - oh all right, hiya there)

MG

MG

Yes, the Soul Stirrers were formed in Texas, in the thirties I think. The original lead singer was Rebert H Harris. Started recording in early 1940s, then for Aladdin in 1946. Backup lead was Paul Foster from 1950, when they started recording for Specialty. Harris left the group in 1951. Sam Cooke recruited to replace him. Paul Foster continued alternating many leads with Cooke (these are, I think, the most exciting of the Stirrers' singles from the Cooke period). Cooke left 1957, replaced by Johnnie Taylor, previously with the Highway QCs, the Soul Stirrers' training quartet. Leroy Crume joined group on baritone and playing guitar, when group left Specialty and recorded for Cooke's label, Sar. Taylor left 1960, also to pursue career in Soul, replaced by Jimmy Outler; Foster still with the group! Foster and Outler left in 1965, replaced by Willie Rogers and Arthur Crume; group now recording for Checker. Rufus Crume arrives; now three of them in the group!

Sonny Thompson - piano (this was the great blues pianist whose "Long gone" was a huge R&B hit in 1948)

Terry Thompson - drums

A more or less total takeover by the Crume Brothers! Although there are a few hangovers from the Cooke style, the album is rather different from their earlier recordings; more power-packed, less subtle.

MG

D'oh, i believe i was just looking at a 3cd boxset on amazon of Sam Cooke and the soul stirrers in that sale someone posted.

MG

Terry Thompson - drums

MG

D'oh, i believe i was just looking at a 3cd boxset on amazon of Sam Cooke and the soul stirrers in that sale someone posted.

The Cooke stuff is excellent; much more subtle than most of the forties/fifties hard gospel quartets. But give me the RHHarris stuff any time. I should think the CD of the Harris Specialty tracks is still available - called "Shine on me" Specialty don't know the US # 'cos I have the UK edition. Wish someone would issue the complete Aladdin sides.

MG

Lou Donaldson 'Sweet Slumber' (BN/King Japan original)

with Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Pepper Adams, McCoy Tyner, etc...

Brownie, how is that Donaldson date? Looks like quite a lineup!

The session was later released as 'Lush Life'

512X2qnNs0L._AA240_.jpg

It's a good straight forward date with Lou Donaldson having most of the solos space.

Hello, its good to be back !! i had troubles with my internet browser after this site forum update, and its been long since i did not participate.

Listen today :

patrice rushen "prelusion" on prestige

tommy flanagan "giant steps" on enja

sooner in the afternoon : herbie hancock "fath albert rotunda" on warner ( buster williams is heard on bass, especially on the first track, but who plays the guitar on some parts ? no credits ! i wonder who it is !! if someone knows...)

BN vol 1 is 47 W 63/Lexington, vol 2 is Pathe Marconi :)

From the sublime to the ridiculous ! :g

Found vol 1 2nd hand in Cardiff at a silly price - then I had to get vol 2, didn't I? Couldn't find an old one, so I got what there was in the shops at the time. Vol 2 cost a lot more than vol 1.

MG

sooner in the afternoon : herbie hancock "fath albert rotunda" on warner ( buster williams is heard on bass, especially on the first track, but who plays the guitar on some parts ? no credits ! i wonder who it is !! if someone knows...)

Good to see you here, Michel!

According to the booklet of the "Complete Warner Bros. recordings" set the personnel for 'Wiggle-Waggle' and 'Lil' Brother' is:

Herbie Hancock (p, el p); Joe Newman, Johnny Coles, Ernie Royal (tp); Garnett Brown, Benny Powell (tbn); Ray Alonge (frh); Joe Farrell (as, ts); Joe Henderson (ts); Arthur "Babe" Clarke (bari); Eric Gale, Billy Butler (g); Jerry Jermott (el b); Bernard Purdie (dr); George Devens (perc)

Soloists are Joe Newman and Joe Henderson on 'Wiggle-Waggle'; Joe Farrell and Eric Gale on 'Lil' Brother'.

LITTLE TOWN JAZZBAND

A month ago I saw her back - I recognized her from the outside - I got the same warm feelings like twenty years ago. It was as if we hadn't been separated for so long and had lived apart all those years, since I passed her into the hands of strangers.

littletownjazzband-lp.jpg

Snookum

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium