• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ben and Sweets: Wanted To Do One Together..Sweet sounding Columbia/Classic Records reissue

Mulligan and Desmond: Blues In Time (Verve/MFSL)

Cecil Taylor: Looking Ahead...Original mono on Contemporary

Dylan: Good As I Been To You

And a couple Japanese 10 inchers...

blue%20note%20092_thumb.jpg

blue%20note%20085_thumb.jpg

blue%20note%20060_thumb.jpg

Edited by wolff

Last night:

Roland Kirk with Jack McDuff: Kirk's Work (Prestige/OJC)

Johnnie Taylor: Raw Blues (Stax)

Clifford Brown/Max Roach: Live at the Bee Hive (CBS - Netherlands) - It was both exhilarating and frightening to hear Max Roach play like he was possessed. I'm reminded of Cecil Taylor's comment that the most terrifying thing in this society is to feel. (That's not a direct quote, but I think it's the gist of what he said.) I'm sure that he wasn't referring only to music, but I thought of that statement when I was listening to Max's playing on this record.

Today,

Leonard Feather's Encyclopedia Of Jazz

Jazz of the '60s Vol 3

Tracks by:

Mavis Rivers,- Irma Curry, - Juanita Hall, - Bill Henderson, - Lightnin' Hopkins, Lambert, Hendricks and Ross, - Sarah Vaughan, - Joe Williams, - Dinah Washington, - Ann Richards and Brownie McGhee.

With Count Basie & his Orchestra.

On Exodus Records.

Blues and Jazz extraordinaire!!!

Ben and Sweets: Wanted To Do One Together..Sweet sounding Columbia/Classic Records reissue

Mulligan and Desmond: Blues In Time (Verve/MFSL)

Cecil Taylor: Looking Ahead...Original mono on Contemporary

Dylan: Good As I Been To You

And a couple Japanese 10 inchers...

blue%20note%20092_thumb.jpg

blue%20note%20085_thumb.jpg

blue%20note%20060_thumb.jpg

Wolff, I assume the 10" are originals? ( I know there was a reissue series). What is the sound quality like on them?

Yes, the pictures are orignals from 'that' site. The covers on my reissues look much, much better! The sound on my Toshiba/EMI reissues is good, maybe not great. Haven't compared them to other issues I may have on CD or LP. I listen to them a lot. I would not if the sound was poor. The packaging is so cool!! I love fondling these things. Standard, HQ Japanese product.

I actually bought vinyl for the first time in awhile today. I couldn't resist Chico Hamilton's El Chico on impulse, one of those cool gatefold covers. LP looks pristine. Not sure if I overpaid at $15.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I've found that when I buy vinyl from vintage record stores, or online, $15 is moving to the high end, but certainly not as high as you could be paying.

When I mention records, many of them rare jazz, which I have snagged for $1, or less, I've found them at yard sales and secondhand stores that mostly have other things and the records are incidental.

But, if you don't have the time to scrounge around at non-vinyl specific stores and other sources, $15 is quite reasonable.

patricia,

It's getting harder and harder to find good old jazz for a $1 a piece, even at yard sales.

However I live in the DC area, so it is really dog eat dog when it comes to estate sales and such. Everybody has a connection........ which is why I no longer bother with yard sales.

S

I understand what you're saying, Stephan.

One of the few good things about living in Country and Western heaven, Calgary, is that jazz is still to be found at low prices, at the cost of shoe leather, or gas.

The vintage store's prices run from about $5 for a single disc, to around $20 for really old, or particularly rare records, to around $50 for close to mint condition boxed sets, with the exception of the mail-order ones, which l have never seen. I have to assume that they don't accept them. Those are almost always found at secondhand stores like the Salvation Army and at yard sales. That's where the $1 per record, no matter what the record price is found. At yard sales, the entire collection of somebody or other is usually around $50 and the "proprieter" of the yard sale usually doesn't want to sell individual records. The downside is that there is a lot of chaff among the wheat. However, if even 10% of a 500 disc collection is good stuff, the rest can be passed on.

The search goes on and I forgot another source, the classifieds. If you want to, you can even post an ad in the "looking for" section, which I've found to be moderately successful, though not usually cheap. People who answer those ads know what they have and you may have to call into play your latent bargaining skillsl. It's kind of like hunting without bloodshed. :blink: