What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Record fair yesterday , some nice stuff but first three LPs of jazzfunk bought very cheaply ,so no risk.

Mark Soskin- Rhythm Vision" (Prestige)- I'd heard of this guy and seen him live once, plus Bennie Maupin . How bad could this be. Answer of course is really quite bad. Smooth jazz funk with very little edge to arouse interest "Walk Tall" by Zawinul is quite good but the rest is all saccharine and no fibre.

47640120.jpg

Next

Reuben Wilson -"Cisco Kid"- (Groove Merchant) - cheesy cover and lame cover tune choices look ominous. On the other hand my eye was attracted to the sidemen listed Melvin Sparks, Mickey Roker. Turns out to be pretty good despite the rather damning review at AMG. So I'd say this was recommended and worth playing again and a good investment at £2.

wilson_reub_ciscokid~_101b.jpg

Finally

Blue Mitchell - "Blue's Blues" (Mainstream ) UK edition from 1980s. This delivers the goods on four longish tracks. Very nice indeed. Highly recommended.

mitche_blue_bluesblue_101b.jpg

Edited by Clunky

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Currently having a flashback to my youth... 1978 to be precise. Now playing - the bathroom break record for DJs in the late 70s - The Outlaws "Bring It Back Alive". Playing side 4, "Green Grass And High Tides". This band was a blast to see live back then. The whole band would wind up on guitars by the end of this song. I think even the drummer wound up with a guitar by the end.

I think this part of the reason why my right ear rings a bit these days. :)

Outlaws-Bring-It-Back-Ali-362705.jpg

099848.jpg

"Gil Evans Orchestra" (John Carisi & Cecil Taylor) - Into the Hot (Impulse). CT's three tracks are the meat of this album, but John Carisi's pieces are pretty remarkable. Amiri Baraka/LeRoi Jones' sarcastic one-sentence dismissal of them still bothers me.

"..cool progressive, you dig?" I think Jones said. Oh, boy.

This afternoon

ldb608.jpg

Chuck Berry - After school session - Chess (Vogue France)

0.jpg

Willis Jackson - Funky Reggae - Trip

160667041381.jpg

Lightnin' Slim - Rooster blues - Excello (as illustrated - a 1980s pressing)

Kansas City Melodyaires - Softly the night is falling - Songbird (Not allowed to use image already posted on Organissimo!!!???)

MG

Willis Jackson - Bar Wars (Muse). Original Van Gelder pressing. Truth be told, it's a bit of a run-of-the-mill sax/organ date. Nothing earth shattering here.

jackso_will_barwars~~_102b.jpg

May never have shattered my earth, but I like that one a lot.

Oh, it's good enough, but I just wasn't jumping to play it again. It will certainly make it into the rotation.

Now playing Don Patterson (with Sonny Stitt) - The Boss Men (Prestige). Liking this one more than the Willis Jackson that just ended. It just be that I like the organ playing a bit more... or it's Stitt.

7466.jpg

Ten Years After ~ Cricklewood Green

Deram

TenYearsAfterCricklewoodGreen2.jpg

Lived there once. :D

So did I! :D

Not for long; we lived with my grandmother for a few months in '59. There was a cinema there where I saw 'No sun in Venice', better known as 'One never knows', with a soundtrack by John Lewis.

Modern-Jazz-Quartet-One-Never-Knows-4462

I think it was my first exposure to modern jazz.

MG