• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey folks,

My order arrived this past Friday, almost a month after I made the order. Everything was resolved when I sent a message to someone on the GD bulletin board last Wednesday morning. The person that contacted me said that they are having some serious issues with the mail order but they are currently trying to resolve it.

Hey folks,

My order arrived this past Friday, almost a month after I made the order. Everything was resolved when I sent a message to someone on the GD bulletin board last Wednesday morning. The person that contacted me said that they are having some serious issues with the mail order but they are currently trying to resolve it.

Hey, glad you got your stuff.

As for the rest of it, I'm not holding my breath.

Hey folks,

Hey, glad you got your stuff.

As for the rest of it, I'm not holding my breath.

I agree. I have some concerns with ever doing an order with them again.

The Grateful Dead Store used to sell downloads of the whole Dick's Picks series at a high bitrate and very reasonable price. I bought a number of mine that way. But they stopped doing this after the sale to Rhino. I guess that Rhino might have decided that the live Dead catalog is so vast that keeping too much available at any one point in time could seriously hurt profits.

I am not sure if that is true, however, as most of the market for their new live releases probably consists of people who already have vast collections of live Dead, i.e. deadheads.

The Grateful Dead Store used to sell downloads of the whole Dick's Picks series at a high bitrate and very reasonable price. I bought a number of mine that way. But they stopped doing this after the sale to Rhino. I guess that Rhino might have decided that the live Dead catalog is so vast that keeping too much available at any one point in time could seriously hurt profits.

Not sure about the reasonable part but they still offer downloads of DPs. Your choice of 128k mp3, 256 mp3, and FLAC. When you click on the title and get the detail page right above "Add To Cart" you have the option of picking whatever format you want. Its default is CD.

For a 3 disc Dick's Pick the breakdown is as follows:

128 mp3 - $14.49

256 mp3 - $15.99

FLAC - -- - $17.99

CD - $21 + shipping, and maybe some of your time to email & call too. (Glad the order finally arrived for you HolyStitt.)

They've also made the download only series available again. See "Downloads" found between "DVDs" and "Vinyl" under Music.

• 4 weeks later...

The latest Road Trip is from what's probably my favorite month & year of Dead. June '74, Wall of Sound! The meat of Des Moines 6-16 and Louisville 6-18.

A link to your favorite store that never messes up orders ;)

I'm taking the risk at order weirdness happening even though I have both shows in full. Louisville might be my alltime favorite show, though it's stupid to try to pick just one when there's so many great shows from '69, '72, '73, '68, '77...

Let's hope we don't have any ordering horror stories and we all get our discs lickety split!

The latest Road Trip is from what's probably my favorite month & year of Dead. June '74, Wall of Sound! The meat of Des Moines 6-16 and Louisville 6-18.

A link to your favorite store that never messes up orders ;)

I'm taking the risk at order weirdness happening even though I have both shows in full. Louisville might be my alltime favorite show, though it's stupid to try to pick just one when there's so many great shows from '69, '72, '73, '68, '77...

Let's hope we don't have any ordering horror stories and we all get our discs lickety split!

Those 2 are both scorching hot shows. I agree that it doesn't get much better than June of '74.

Louisville 6/18/74

Incredible dynamics. Great songs, powerful performance. Never more in control of their style than on that day, as far as I know.

This is the one to check out if you wonder what the mid 70s fuss was about, post hippie era.

agree, one of my top 5 all time shows. I can't wait to grab it.

Is it just me or is anybody else over the bs that anybody who buys a compilation is not a real deadhead debate. Live Dead, Europe 72 and Skullf&*k always worked for me, I guess I was never a "real" fan for liking those records.

Edited by WorldB3

Is it just me or is anybody else over the bs that anybody who buys a compilation is not a real deadhead debate. Live Dead, Europe 72 and Skullf&*k always worked for me, I guess I was never a "real" fan for liking those records.

I get tired of it too. Call me wishy washy but I like full shows and I like comps. Some of my favorite Dicks Picks are comps:

DP 12 - Providence & Boston 6/26 & 6/28/74

DP 14 - Boston 11/30 & 12/02/73

DP 04 - Fillmore East 12/13-14/70

DP 18 - Madison & Cedar Falls 2/3-5/78 (1 song from the 4th I believe)

DP 31 - Philly & Jersey City 8/4-6/74

There are other excellent ones too, like that Lake Tahoe '68 one (DP 22), plus the stone cold classics that you mention above. Some people gripe about the overdubs on Europe '72. Who effin' cares, it's a beautiful record! I have lots of Europe '72 shows, but I go back to album often.

I get tired of it too. Call me wishy washy but I like full shows and I like comps. Some of my favorite Dicks Picks are comps:

DP 12 - Providence & Boston 6/26 & 6/28/74

DP 14 - Boston 11/30 & 12/02/73

DP 04 - Fillmore East 12/13-14/70

DP 18 - Madison & Cedar Falls 2/3-5/78 (1 song from the 4th I believe)

DP 31 - Philly & Jersey City 8/4-6/74

There are other excellent ones too, like that Lake Tahoe '68 one (DP 22), plus the stone cold classics that you mention above. Some people gripe about the overdubs on Europe '72. Who effin' cares, it's a beautiful record! I have lots of Europe '72 shows, but I go back to album often.

I agree on DP 4, 12 and 14. I need to get 18 and 31 one of these days.

My order arrived today. Bonus points for having it land on my birthday. :) For what's it's worth the reports on the Hoffman forum thus far also have the right discs arriving quickly. So here's hoping they've smoothed things out over at the Dead store. Look forward to hearing the difference that HDCD & Jeffrey Norman brings to it. And it still has that fresh recycled cardboard smell. Mmm...

It has to compete with the Young Benny Goodman disc (Timeless) that Lon has rec'd along with a couple of discs restored by J.R.T. Davies rec'd by Hans that I also got today. Can't recall if J.A.W. has ever popped in here or not, but thanks for the heads up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered the '74 Road Trips last Thursday, and it arrived Monday, no problem. Except for some glue on one of the discs.

I've been enjoying the Des Moines show in boot form for years.

I have a friend who traded for it on tape, then VHS, DAT and CDR, then downloaded it for some perceived improvement. He admitted that due to his collecting sickness he never got around to listening to the improvements after the 2nd upgrade tape trade. :lol: The copy I have I traded for so I've had it awhile, and while it was likely improved upon since my copy this official version sure sounds better than that. I downloaded 2 different upgrades on Louisville after getting a trade copy so the jump isn't as big, but still nice. Just like with jazz reissues you buy I don't bother with upgrading some things, but Louisville is one of things I do. If they blu-ray this or go holographic octophonic, I'm there!

Ordered the '74 Road Trips last Thursday, and it arrived Monday, no problem. Except for some glue on one of the discs.

I've been enjoying the Des Moines show in boot form for years.

I have a friend who traded for it on tape, then VHS, DAT and CDR, then downloaded it for some perceived improvement. He admitted that due to his collecting sickness he never got around to listening to the improvements after the 2nd upgrade tape trade. :lol: The copy I have I traded for so I've had it awhile, and while it was likely improved upon since my copy this official version sure sounds better than that. I downloaded 2 different upgrades on Louisville after getting a trade copy so the jump isn't as big, but still nice. Just like with jazz reissues you buy I don't bother with upgrading some things, but Louisville is one of things I do. If they blu-ray this or go holographic octophonic, I'm there!

pretty much what I hear-RT 6/16 more of an upgrade that 6/18

For all the abuse from "Real Deadheads" that say EVERYBODY who loves the Dead only want to pay a lot of money for whole shows and for any other customer service issues dead.net/ Rhino may get, I just want to say I couldn't be happier with them. My order came the day after it was released and I payed for the cheapest shipping, I had no issues with the discs and the remastering is incredible, add the fact that its June 18 1974 which is one one of my top five shows ever and it feels like Xmas.

Great remasters from May 77, Feb 68 and June 74 in one year is too much. I couldn't ask for anything more from Dead.net and Rhino this year.

Edited by WorldB3

Great remasters from May 77, Feb 68 and June 74 in one year is too much. I couldn't ask for anything more from Dead.net and Rhino this year.

The '71 Roadtrips is top notch too. It's a year I tend to overlook even though that was the year that introduced to the band live (via Skull & Roses.) A big bad Other One on there along with other goodness. It's another fine compilation. :) My only complaint about the latest is Road Trips is that it just came out, so I have to wait a couple of months or so to see what's next.

Hey John - I just pulled out my Taper's Compendiums the other day. I hadn't looked at them in a few years . Anyway, I went to look up a specific show and got lost for a few hours reading the reviews. Excellent work.

Hey, it's that Dwork! My Taping Compendiums are right below my feet, which are propped up on what functions as a coffee table and there's a small pile of important reference works (Penguin Jazz, Historical Atlas, etc.) or otherwise heavy books in a compartment. Though I'm no longer in fever collecting mode you just never know when you might want to know if xx/xx/xx had a particularly beefy "Other One" and so on, hence why they're just a slight stretch away. :)

Hey John - I just pulled out my Taper's Compendiums the other day. I hadn't looked at them in a few years . Anyway, I went to look up a specific show and got lost for a few hours reading the reviews. Excellent work.

Hey, it's that Dwork! My Taping Compendiums are right below my feet, which are propped up on what functions as a coffee table and there's a small pile of important reference works (Penguin Jazz, Historical Atlas, etc.) or otherwise heavy books in a compartment. Though I'm no longer in fever collecting mode you just never know when you might want to know if xx/xx/xx had a particularly beefy "Other One" and so on, hence why they're just a slight stretch away. :)

i'm officially confused. am i having a flashback?

i'm officially confused. am i having a flashback?

Ah, my apologies! We got you confused with John R. Dwork, coauthor of The Deadhead's Taping Compenium. I blame J.H. Deeley for starting this! :lol: I see that you are John Dworkin.

Sorry 'bout that. Like the site you contribute to and thanks for the head's up. :)

Edited by Quincy