Falling In Love

Yfael

Well first off I want to give some "props" to those of you who dedicate hours n hours into these awesome boards. I love to see little community's like these so deep with musical surprises.

I'm writing to ask your help! My names Rafael and growing up I've always had a passion for music and my latest obsession is steering me towards Jazz (classical I think).

After watching the movie "The Talented Mr.Ripley" and watching Mr.Ripley sing My Little Valentine while playing Piano. with the saxaphone absolutely petting my ear drums, I was in love!

So until I can get some money together for a record player and some records. I need some advice as to where to start downloading and even what cd's and records to start looking/saving for!

So far I've only aquired around 17 tracks. The only artists I've come across so far are :

Billie Holiday

Ella Fitzgerald

Etta James

Marino Marini

Cole Porter

I don't have a Artist name for "My Funny Valentine"

I'm definately looking for something very mellow like "My Funny Valentine"

I love a snare in the background with that smooth male voice.

I also absolutely love the saxophone.

Well I'd really appreciate your input

Sincerely,

Rafael

If you're looking for the performance that inspired Matt Damon's version of "My Funny Valentine" in "The Talented Mr. Ripley," you definitely want Chet Baker. Chet was a trumpet player and vocalist who epitomized the West Coast or Cool school of jazz. Chet made tons of great music over the years (despite horrendous drug addiction and failing health) before he died in the late 1980s. Check out "Chet Baker Sings," where you'll find his classic rendition of "My Funny Valentine." If you're into cool sounds, I'd also recommend Stan Getz (pretty much everything he did was fantastic), Shelly Manne (especially his recordings at the Blackhawk), Bill Evans (the album "Waltz for Debbie" is a great place to start) and Gerry Mulligan. Also, if you're just starting out with jazz you need a copy of "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, "My Favorite Things" by John Coltrane, and "Something Else" by Cannonball Adderley. Trust me. You NEED these. It's in the Constitution, I think...

Rafael,

You don't have to buy a turntable. Much of what you want is out on CD; there's a lot of classic recordings that have been reissued in the CD era.

If you love saxophone and smooth male vocals, I cannot recommend anything more highly than the CD "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman."

Hartman.jpg

Edited by Dan Gould

Also check out John Coltrane's BALLADS album, recorded for Impulse around the same time as the Hartmann collaboration. Alexander beat me to it with the Bill Evans piano trio recommendation--any of the Lafaro records (PORTRAIT IN JAZZ, EXPLORATIONS, SUNDAY AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD + the aforementioned WALTZ) plus one of the first post-Lafaro albums, MOONBEAMS (an all-ballads record) make for very nice listening. James Carter's THE REAL QUIETSTORM is much more recent (1995) but is a beautiful late-night saxophone jazz record as well.

I know others prefer Hartman or Eckstein, but for me, when it comes to groovin' to male vocals, nothing can compare to Capitol era Sinatra...I like some of them better than others, but none of 'em are less than great.

Moose, my sentiments exactly. :tup

Yup, Sinatra... sounds like our new friend would love "In the Wee Small Hours" (I love that one, too... second best performance of "I Get Along Without You Very Well," next to the one on this Sinatra album, is the one by Chet Baker, on "Best of Chet Baker Sings" - that's the same CD that has "My Funny Valentine")

ubu

• 2 weeks later...