Anthony Braxton

7/4

Also, while this thread is up I was listening to an interview with Gerry Hemingway and he mentioned that Werner Uehlinger is in possession of a great tape of three nights by the classic quartet in London ca 1993. Doubtful they'll come out but it would be nice!

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, while this thread is up I was listening to an interview with Gerry Hemingway and he mentioned that Werner Uehlinger is in possession of a great tape of three nights by the classic quartet in London ca 1993. Doubtful they'll come out but it would be nice!

wonder whether that was at the Jazz Cafe (about the only London venue in those days that might have put Braxton on for a run). My first live exposure to AB was that band about that year and in London. It was a tremendous concert.

BTW, just to confuse myself even more, I was listening to 7 Standards Vol.1 earlier today, and really enjoyed it. It 'worked' a lot better for me than I had thought; Hank Jones plays really nicely (obviously!). That Warne Marsh tune... :blink:

I found vol.2 a month ago and then a few days ago I found vol.1 (both on vinyl btw). I like them quite a bit though I haven't really had a chance to play them a lot (yet). Anyone w/Hank Jones on piano is bound to get my attention.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Europe 2003

If you have those Leo 4-Disc "Standards" boxsets that were released about 8 years ago,

here are 4 tunes from those concerts that were never released. Total time: about 1 hour.

I believe there were three box sets released eventually - 2 4-disc sets, and a 6-disc one. That's a whole lot of standards! I enjoy them all immensely though, and I rate Kevin O'Neill very highly as a guitarist. Some of Braxton's horn choices don't quite come off in my book as the intonation is a little off pitch - most noticeable in the heads.

Edited by Valeria Victrix

Europe 2003

If you have those Leo 4-Disc "Standards" boxsets that were released about 8 years ago,

here are 4 tunes from those concerts that were never released. Total time: about 1 hour.

I believe there were three box sets released eventually - 2 4-disc sets, and a 6-disc one. That's a whole lot of standards! I enjoy them all immensely though, and I rate Kevin O'Neill very highly as a guitarist. Some of Braxton's horn choices don't quite come off in my book as the intonation is a little off pitch - most noticeable in the heads.

YEAH! Makes for a very twisted interpretation of the material, reminds me of Sun Ra or Marshall Allen. I think it's intentionally microtonal.

Europe 2003

YEAH! Makes for a very twisted interpretation of the material, reminds me of Sun Ra or Marshall Allen. I think it's intentionally microtonal.

I dunno m'man. Have you ever read the comments on an Indian Classical Music video on Youtube? You'll have somebody arguing that Ravi always played out of key, then someone else saying 'but ICM operates under the sruti (22 notes to the octave) system, so it's not your standard tuning, and the response to that is - No, you don't understand - he's not doing it right.'

Much as I love these sets - and I do, listen to them frequently in fact - but he's sloppy on several. E.g. on Blue Turk A La Ronda (20 Standards) he is just totally out of step with Kevin.

Having said that I love this stuff. Kevin may repeat some ideas and whatnot, but they're great ideas. Also - @craig - you have to remember these were played live, not in the studio - i.e. not initially intended for release. In a live setting a lot of musicians (even the great ones) will resort to favourite licks. To be honest I think you're being a bit harsh on him.

Europe 2003

I dunno m'man. Have you ever read the comments on an Indian Classical Music video on Youtube? You'll have somebody arguing that Ravi always played out of key, then someone else saying 'but ICM operates under the sruti (22 notes to the octave) system, so it's not your standard tuning, and the response to that is - No, you don't understand - he's not doing it right.'

Much as I love these sets - and I do, listen to them frequently in fact - but he's sloppy on several. E.g. on Blue Turk A La Ronda (20 Standards) he is just totally out of step with Kevin.

Having said that I love this stuff. Kevin may repeat some ideas and whatnot, but they're great ideas. Also - @craig - you have to remember these were played live, not in the studio - i.e. not initially intended for release. In a live setting a lot of musicians (even the great ones) will resort to favourite licks. To be honest I think you're being a bit harsh on him.

Me???

:rofl:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Stumbled on this from the Braxton listserv:

jilgenfritz-cmpstns-cvrweb3.jpg

70 minutes of solo contrabass performances of the music of Anthony Braxton, integrating well-known materials from Braxton’s quartet repertoire, trumpet cadenzas from Composition 103 (for 7 trumpets) and orchestral parts, with some of his numerous improvisation and structuring systems, including the Ghost Trance Music, Coordinate Music, Pulse Tracks, and Language Musics.

I placed and order and look forward to hearing it. I love solo bass.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...