Anthony Braxton

7/4

Got this email today:

Thank you for signing up on the Tri-Centric Foundation website! This email is to notify you that the site is now open. Please visit http://tricentricfoundation.org and have a look around. As a token of our appreciation, for a limited time, the website will be offering a free album download: Septet (Pittsburgh) 2008 with Taylor Ho Bynum (brass), Jessica Pavone (viola), Jay Rozen (tuba), Carl Testa (bass), Aaron Siegel (percussion), and Mary Halvorson (guitar).

The Tri-Centric Foundation website has three components: a one-stop informational home for the composer and the foundation; a 'friendly experiencer' section for an immersive jump into Braxton's sound world; and New Braxton House Records, an online label dedicated to offering Braxton's music for convenient and affordable download.

New Braxton House Records will be releasing two album-length downloads per month, with material ranging from recent Ghost Trance Music concerts to rare recordings from the 1970s, from solo saxophone recitals to orchestra performances. The label's initial release will be a Sextet (Philadelphia) 2005, a double album-length performance from Braxton's long-time working ensemble featuring the composer on saxophones, with Taylor Ho Bynum (brass), Jessica Pavone (viola), Jay Rozen (tuba), Carl Testa (bass), and Aaron Siegel (percussion). The full catalog of the old Braxton House imprint from the late 1990s will also be available in downloadable format for the first time.

Customers can buy any recording on an a la carte basis, or may choose to become subscribers, receiving each month's two new downloads plus 10% off all back-catalog items for $12+1 a month, with all proceeds from the sales directly supporting the Tri-Centric Foundation. Additionally, in a move reminiscent of Frank Zappa's Beat the Boots, the website will be culling from the hundreds of unauthorized Braxton concert bootlegs available online, 'liberating' those with the most historical value and offering them free-of-charge.

Well, as much as I dislike downloads, I'm signing up for this. Thanks for the post!

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"New Braxton House Records will be releasing two album-length downloads per month, with material ranging from recent Ghost Trance Music concerts to rare recordings from the 1970s, from solo saxophone recitals to orchestra performances. The label's initial release will be a Sextet (Philadelphia) 2005, a double album-length performance from Braxton's long-time working ensemble featuring the composer on saxophones, with Taylor Ho Bynum (brass), Jessica Pavone (viola), Jay Rozen (tuba), Carl Testa (bass), and Aaron Siegel (percussion)."

I was at this show. Good times.

Got this email today:

Thank you for signing up on the Tri-Centric Foundation website! This email is to notify you that the site is now open. Please visit http://tricentricfoundation.org and have a look around. As a token of our appreciation, for a limited time, the website will be offering a free album download: Septet (Pittsburgh) 2008 with Taylor Ho Bynum (brass), Jessica Pavone (viola), Jay Rozen (tuba), Carl Testa (bass), Aaron Siegel (percussion), and Mary Halvorson (guitar).

Thanks for posting this. I downloaded and listened to Septet (Pittsburgh) 2008 today, and it's excellent. It's one hour-long piece, Composition 355, well-played and well-recorded. It doesn't have the "plodding" quality of much of Braxton's Ghost Trance Music - plenty of color and rhythmic variety. And I recognized an old friend about two-thirds of the way through - Composition 23C from New York Fall 1974. Since Braxton often inserts parts of his older music into his longer compositions, there are probably bits of other Braxton pieces in there, too. Anyway, I highly recommend this one.

Two album-length downloads a month for $13.00?

$6.50 for a new Braxton record every other week (maybe not litereally, but averaged out)? And no shelf space getting crowded as a a result?

How can you beat that deal?

free audience recordings, too.

$6.50 for a new Braxton record every other week (maybe not litereally, but averaged out)? And no shelf space getting crowded as a a result?

Is it $13 a month? I don't know what "$12+1 a month" actually means. It certainly would be pretty easy to write $13 a month.

Is it $13 a month? I don't know what "$12+1 a month" actually means. It certainly would be pretty easy to write $13 a month.

It's a joke, based on a construction which Braxton uses a lot. When he inserts material from one of his numbered compositions into a recording of another composition, the label reads "Composition No. 107B (+96)" or something like that. Similarly, when he includes pieces which don't fit into the theme of one of his albums, he'll indicate that in the album title: Eight (+3) Tristano Compositions 1989.

The first freebie offers a choice of FLAC or MP3.

No additional charge for the FLAC.

Somewhere, somebody gets it. Not let's hope they don't get got by it.

It seems that this operation is being run by some younger folks who work in Braxton ensembles. I admire and commend their dedication to getting something like this done.

I'm thrilled by this whole approach. I wish other musicians would take up this model. I can think of several to whom I would pay $8-$12 a month to for download albums and additional VIP-type material and googaws.

I also wish labels could do this.

P.S. Bonus points for the Peanuts reference.

Edited by Chicago Expat

I'm thrilled by this whole approach. I wish other musicians would take up this model. I can think of several to whom I would pay $8-$12 a month to for download albums and additional VIP-type material and googaws.

I also wish labels could do this.

P.S. Bonus points for the Peanuts reference.

Well yeah the Tricentric is $13 so already outside your price bracket! Leo Records has many Braxton downloads at maybe $5.49 a shot (a few recent releases maybe more), kind of in the area, and you don't have to subscribe, you can just choose what you want (not take whatever they give you). Maybe you should check it out!

Since I'm not bright, it took me awhile to find the "bootleg/archive" downloads on the Braxton site, but I've now downloaded several. Tonight I listened to the first two, chronologically speaking. The Quartet (Paris) 1969 DL consists of one 20-minute piece, played by Braxton, Leo Smith (not yet Wadada, I don't think), Leroy Jenkins, and Steve McCall. Sound is good bootleg/broadcast quality, and the music is excellent. I think I like it better than any of the studio recordings by this group, although I haven't listened to those albums for awhile.

Then I listened to the 1971 French solo concert, which is also musically top-notch. You know what to expect if you've heard Braxton solo, although I don't think I had ever heard him play "They Say It's Wonderful" as one of the standards he always throws in among the challenging originals. Sound quality is not as good - there is noticeable tape/broadcast distortion - but it's quite listenable.

• 1 month later...

The list of archive recordings on the site is mouth-watering (especially some of the 70s stuff), but I don't seem to be able to either stream or download the music. When I press the play button I get a 30 second sample, and then silence. I admit I'm not the quickest off the mark with technology, but I can usually manage to stream or download music off websites! Has anyone else had this problem?

The list of archive recordings on the site is mouth-watering (especially some of the 70s stuff), but I don't seem to be able to either stream or download the music. When I press the play button I get a 30 second sample, and then silence. I admit I'm not the quickest off the mark with technology, but I can usually manage to stream or download music off websites! Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes, the play button just gives you a short sample. To download, you have to put the concert in your cart, as if you were buying a download, then go through the checkout process.

Yes, the play button just gives you a short sample. To download, you have to put the concert in your cart, as if you were buying a download, then go through the checkout process.

Ah, that's better. I've downloaded a 1974 quartet recording with Kenny Wheeler, Dave Holland and Barry Altschul one of my favourite Braxton groups. I look forward to listening to it at leisure later this w/e. Thanks for the technical advice!

I notice that Amazon is going to be offering downloads of The Complete Braxton for $8 beginning on May 10.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=the+complete+braxton&x=0&y=0

The series is advertised as being from "The Black Lion Vault." I wonder what other goodies will be offered?

Edited by John L

I notice that Amazon is going to be offering downloads of The Complete Braxton for $8 beginning on May 10.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=the+complete+braxton&x=0&y=0

The series is advertised as being from "The Black Lion Vault." I wonder what other goodies will be offered?

Welcome development - thanks for the heads up. Let's hope there's more to come.