Nica's Thread

Bright Moments

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been digging that disc since the day it was released on Savoy/Denon cd. I remember my friend Dave who was then jazz buyer of Tower telling me that it was coming up on a Tuesday release, and I dashed up there on my lunch hour!

That series of Savoys was a voyage of discovery for me, and I still feel sentimental about many of the cds. I had only a handful of Savoy lps before Denon commenced that series and I was fascinated by the lp reproduction and the wonderful sound (which still holds up as great cd sound).

This is a fabulous cd, especially the songs by Ernestine Anderson, particularly Social Call. The only person I've heard do this is Charlie Rouse on the Uptown release (no vocal) but this is a classic. I had planning to use it on my BFT but c'est la vie.

Drag was that the Betty Carter session wasn't issued at the time. It sat for 30 years.

The appendix of my book has lists of all recorded performances of Gryce tunes and my co-author, Noal Cohen, maintains the additions/corrections on his website here:

http://www.attictoys.com/jazz/GG.html

Mike

I should also mention that hearing those arrangements live is unbelievable. If you get a chance to hear the Chris Byars Octet, they have a number of them in their book.

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

• 6 months later...

I hope if people post stories about her, they're actually true stories, and not some scurrilous rumors circulated by people who never knew her. I'm getting a little whiff of "Yeah, she really 'liked' jazz musicians, know what I mean, heh, heh" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). I hope I'm wrong.

The lady did a lot of good for jazz musicians over the years. I'm sure the Monk family would agree that Thelonious would not have lived as long without her help in his final years.

Maybe if any of you know Horace Silver or Barry Harris, you could get them to comment.

Want to hear what she sounded like? Go here , click on "new releases" on the left side, then play track 1 of the first new release, "Live In New York, Vol 1", where it says "Intro by Pannonica."

Edited by JPF

but what does she say her last name is? it's not Koenigswarter!  :blink:

She's saying "This is Nica's Tempo," using the name of that tune as if it were the name of a radio show she's supposedly doing. God knows why. I think they were just having fun with a microphone and a tape recorder.

Nica was born a Rothschild. She married Jules de Koenigswarter in 1935. de Koenigswarter was a French Resistance hero during World War Two. Nica drove ambulances for the Free French Forces during that war. They separated in 1951. She settled then in New York. That's where she met Monk through MaryLou Williams in 1953.

Quite a Lady!

Nica was born a Rothschild. She married Jules de Koenigswarter in 1935. de Koenigswarter was a French Resistance hero during World War Two. Nica drove ambulances for the Free French Forces during that war. They separated in 1951. She settled then in New York. That's where she met Monk through MaryLou Williams in 1953.

Quite a Lady!

i think i heard somewhere that when charlie parker first came to new york he went to work in the kitchen of mary lou william's husband, john williams', bar-b-q shack.

but this is supposed to be a thread about nica!

B-)