What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Just saw the Jason Moran w/ Cassandra Wilson show tonight.

A remarkable performance - spectacular, understated, emotional, dynamic........all at once. The communication between the two was electric and you could sense a special musical event unfolding as the night progressed.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thursday Randy Weston/Billy Harper Duo

Kuumbwa Jazz Center, Santa Cruz

That's going to be good, Mike. I saw Billy with the Randy Weston Trio at Yoshi's 4-5 years ago. Great show.

They're playing SFJazz on Sunday with Jason Moran (somehow). Would have gone, but ticket prices for that are sky-high. Good for Randy and Billy, though.

They've been playing together dating back to the 70's

Unerhört Festival 2013

Fri 29 Nov 2013 (sold out, damn - just learned about that, so I'll miss it):

Friedli – Malaby – Griener
Gabrieala Friedli: Piano / Tony Malaby: Tenor Saxophone / Michael Griener: Drums

Marco von Orelli 5
Marco von Orelli: Trumpet, Composition / Lukas Briggen: Trombone / Michel Wintsch: Piano, Synthesizer / Kaspar von Grünigen: Doublebass / Samuel Dühsler: Drums

Archie Shepp – Tom McClung
Archie Shepp: Saxophone, Voice / Tom McClung: Piano

Sat 30 Nov 2013:

Tobias Meier & «Things to Sounds»
Tobias Meier: Saxophone / Yves Theiler: Piano / David Meier: Drums

Stephan Crump – Mary Halvorson
Stephan Crump: Bass / Mary Halvorson: Guitar

Zentralquartett
Ernst-Ludwig Petrowsky: Alto Saxophone, Clarinet / Conrad Bauer: Trombone / Ulrich Gumpert: Piano / Günter Baby Sommer: Drums

I heard Charles Tolliver and his grp, here in my little postage stamp size town of Rahway, NJ. Hamilton Stage is a new 200 seat venue, only in it's second season. Beautiful music in a real nice room. Recorded for future broadcast on NPR next year.

I don't know how many folks here are familiar with the Atlanta avant-rocker Col. Bruce Hampton, of the Hampton Grease Band, the Late Bronze Age, and the Aquarium Rescue Unit (maybe his greatest band). I just heard two long sets with his new band, the Madrid Express, and it was pretty amazing. It reminded me of what someone said about the Kansas City jam sessions of the 1930s: "The material is immaterial." Every tune, whether a Hampton original or a James Brown/Meters/Bobby Bland/Skip James cover, was a vehicle to lead the band into some strange and wonderful improvisatory areas.

Edited by jeffcrom

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Steve at the Mephista+Lotte Anker show, then caught Lotte with Gerald Cleaver and Craig Taborn at IBeam, Brooklyn, the next night, then back to The Stone on Saturday for Lotte with Fred Frith and Ikue Mori (1st set), then with Jim Black aded to that trio for the 2nd set. Some great music making all around. First saw Lotte in Baltimore several years ago, also with Sylvie Courvoisier and Ikue Mori (Alien Huddle). If you want to check out Lotte's playing, try "Floating Islands" or the new Clean Feed disc. Nice seeing you there Steve.

Last night I made my wife happy by taking her to the Atlanta Ballet's presentation of The Nutcracker at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. The orchestra was excellent, but the only reason I'm mentioning this is that, before the performance and during the intermission, Christmas carols were played on Mighty Mo, the Fox's huge theater organ. Hearing the thunderous sound, all I could think was, "Wow - this is the organ which Sun Ra played on his recording "Hiroshima." "Hiroshima" is impressive even on my crappy Saturn pressing, but I would have loved to been in the room when he played that.

Impossible to explain how varied, nuanced and brilliant Open Loose is.

I've tried before but I won't try this time.

I will say that they were more relaxed and that the interplay is telepathic and that Tony Malaby for me remains among the 2 or 3 most exciting tenor saxophonists I've ever seen live. Every time I see him he astounds me with his range and his completely unique approach and sound.

The guys defines the "sound of surprise" for me. He played a passage during one of last compositions ("Chavez") on the beyond altissimo register(s) that was something even beyond what thought was possible for him. In addition he NEVER plays for the crowd or effect. He makes/demands that the audience hear the music as the band's music and not him as a soloist.

His brilliance in some ways is so insidious that if one isn't really listening one might miss the depth of his improvisational imagination and thorough mastery of the saxophone.

Ok I tried to explain part of what makes this trio so special

• 3 weeks later...

Mark Lockheart (saxes) and John Paricelli (guitar) at the local jazz club.

Sounds good. Excellent players both.

Fabulous gig, very enjoyable - and Paricelli gets better every time I see him. It was their quartet with Dudley Philips on bass and Dave Smith on drums (I think - subbing for Martin France).

Mark Lockheart (saxes) and John Paricelli (guitar) at the local jazz club.

Sounds good. Excellent players both.

Fabulous gig, very enjoyable - and Paricelli gets better every time I see him. It was their quartet with Dudley Philips on bass and Dave Smith on drums (I think - subbing for Martin France).

Dave Smith is very good - I saw him with a Brit band supporting Eddie Henderson some years back. Very exciting.

I saw Han Bennink with Mary Oliver tonight, which was the first time they've played Cleveland. I've seen the ICP Orchestra twice (without Misha the most recent time), but I'd never heard Oliver at length given the number of other musicians involved. She was impressive on violin and viola, using the bow like a slide at one point. Han was his usual joyous self, playing the floor and other assorted objects and swinging like crazy. He even sang a Misha Mengelberg song about hares! The concert was billed as the ICP Duo, which was fitting; considering the number of Mengelberg compositions and the irrepressible nature of the performance, it felt like an ICP show.

He did a little Q&A and talked about the first time he saw Ayler. Apparently, Sunny Murray used Han's set (rented for 35 guilders) for The Hilversum Session and played with knitting needles! It was a fun night; my wife, who found the full ICP Orchestra to be chaotic, liked it. If I were a braver man, I would've joined the throng of people chatting it up with Han and Mary afterward, but I'll settle for a memorable, intimate hour of music.