What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Saturday night I caught an impromptu group at the Jazz Gallery featuring Chris Potter, Mark Turner, Ben Street and Johnathan Blake. David Virelles was scheduled to perform with his group, but one of the members of the ensemble was unable to make it, his show was therefore cancelled and this group was the replacement act. Virelles did sit in on two songs at the end. When I received the email Friday announceing the schedule change, I knew this was one of those "events" that I should make the effort to take the 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive from West Hartford into Manhattan. The SRO audience, which included many musicians and music students as well as obsessed fans like myself confirmed my thought.

It was one of the best sets I have heard in a while. To my knowledge, these four musicians had never performed publicly as a group. Indeed at times their interaction on stage suggested some uncertainty about what to do next. I suspect the buzz that resulted in the large audience was because of the presence of Potter and Turner on the same stage. The two are considered to be amongst the top saxophonists of their generation. The differences between the two approaches are readily noticeable and I think they motivated each other to come with their A games. Every time I hear Street, I like him more. Good tone, nice ideas and very interactive/supportive of the soloists. I have also heard Blake a few times live. In some ways he functioned as the de facto leader - or at least he made all the announcements from the stage. A nice varied set list included Benny Golson's "Whisper Not", Monk's "Light Blue" (trio performance featuring Virelles), another standard that I can not remember and original compositions by Avishai Cohen, Paul Motian and Tom Harrell.

It was so good that I would have stayed for the second show, which would have meant I would not have gotten back to West Hartford until around 3:00 a.m. This was one of those occassions, however, that the Jazz Gallery actually turned over the room because the second set was sold out. A little disappointing, but as I texted my wife before I got on the road to drive home, it is probably always best to leave wanting more.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I played tonight with my Edgewood Saxophone Trio at the Elliott Street Pub in Atlanta. The only reason I'm posting about this is that the Elliott Street Pub was, back in the 1950s and 1960s, an after-hours joint called Dee's Birdcage. After the Royal Peacock and the Magnolia Ballroom closed for the night, the jazz and R & B musicians and hard-core late-night party crowd would gather at the Birdcage. The neighborhood it's in is now known as Castleberry Hill, known for its restaurants and art galleries, but back in the day it was called Snake Nation(!). Anyway, I always love playing there, in part due to the history.

It was a very musical weekend for me. Friday night i caught Gerald Cleaver and Black Host at Firehouse 12 in New Haven. In addition to Cleaver, the band features pianist Cooper-Moore, alto saxophonist Darius Jones, bassist Pascal Niggenkemper and guitarist Brandon Seabrook. Cleaver describes the concept of the band essentially as playing with a certain type of energy using grooves, simple melodies and "pop music". It really is hard to explain the experience. Before the set began Gerald handed out ear plugs to the audience, explaining that "this is a loud band". Indeed it is, but it is much more than that. It is a very intense experience and they do take it out - at times it feels like a sixties free jazz blowout, but underneath it there is always a groove and/or melodic content that keeps it grounded. Interestingly, a few of the Firehouse 12 regulars whose tastes I do not think go very far out loved the show.

Saturday night I traveled to Goshen, MA to hear Harris' Eisenstadt's Golden State with Nicole Mitchell, bassonist Sara Schoenback and bassist Mark Dresser. This was on the other end of the spectrum than Black Host, but very enjoyable. I think I am ready to leave my family for Nicole Mitchell. She is a flute player that forces me to actually listen to flute when most don't and there is something about her overall spirit that is warm and inviting. As is true with most of Eisenstadt's bands there is an emphasis on composition and most of the tunes had interesting grooves, twists and turns. Interestingly, most of the rhythm foundation fell to Dresser because Eisenstadt never seems to play a groove, pattern or beat more than once. Instead, he skitters around the drum set interacting with the band in more of a melodic manner. every time I hear Dresser I am reminded that he is a vastly skilled bassist.

Sunday was the Hartford Jazz Society's 52nd Annual Jazz Cruise. The featured artist was Nat Reeves' All Star Quintet with Eric Alexander, Steve Davis, Harold Mabern, Joe Farnsworth and a number of guests. They performed the expected hard bop repetoire, but played it with sincerity and conviction. Really hard not to enjoy. Since I am on the board of the Hartford Jazz Society the event was more work than pure entertainment for me and three hours into the seven hour cruise I was ready do go home. The music was also a bit too loud for my preferences. In any event, it was a great day on the river with non-stop good sounds from Reeves' ensemble and the other more local band that played.

Last night at The Stone:

Evan Parker, John Escreet, John Hebert and Tyshawn Sorey

Duets first set ending with a appetite enduring short quartet piece

Second set a mind blowing awe inducing 50 minute performance by the quartet ranging from very quiet passages to intensity unseen in other musical worlds.

Very very glad I overcame my little cold and irritation to experience brilliance from all four musicians with the giant of the saxophone in absolute prime life changing wall melting form.

Biggest surprise was how great the drummer was. With just a snare and the bass drum with cymbals. Like he had played with Evan for years. Also glad that my wife at the last minute decided to go so she could experience seeing the legendary saxophonist for the first time

After the show Evan thanked the group for allowing him to join them.

Will not forget this show ever.

More later but last night - especially the second set Evan with Sylvie Courvoisier - was one of the singular nights of improvisation in the history of such things.

Half way through the second set Evan picks up the straight horn and it goes - thin to the thickest rich circular breathing excursion that exists in this world. Sylvie gets in through the inside of the piano and by the time the 20 minute piece ends, Evan pinched, finessed the tiniest and most direct and precise sounds out if that horn.

Best I've ever heard him. And that pianist.....Lordy Lordy

And my wife loved it so for those not ready, give yourself a break and listen

My wife asks me. Do they prepare? How do they know what to play?

Well we all will never know.

Evan was almost Ben Webster at the end if the first set and then he is beyond Evan or Trane on the tenor during other portions effortlessly going from circular to that shit he plays that is unplayable by all other tenor players and its all of a piece. And the second set he plays 50 minutes straight except for a two minute coda by the pianist half way through the four piece set. And yet none of it is for show. Extreme intensity and energy levels beyond fucking realistic.

How do they prepare?

Music played like this is prepared through a lifetime. Life lived. Wisdom through dedication and love.

Btw Mat was gorgeous with no pick up and just enough of his sound came through. No ego yet no deference to great man - just respect and beauty.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

It looks like Harold Mabern is in town in Vancouver for a 3 or 4 day residency. I've seen him before (usually with Eric Alexander) and he's always been great, so I'll try to make it to one of the shows, perhaps on Friday.

Oh, as Gilda Radner/Emily Litella would say "Never mind." Too bad. The club where they are playing has only one option for standard tickets -- a $60 cover including a two-course meal (which, as a vegetarian, I'm quite sure I would find not worth it). Just not going to pay that kind of money and be forced into a situation where I will be resentful all evening...

Edited by ejp626

Last night I traveled three hours in rush hour traffic to Shapeshifter Lab in Brooklyn to catch the premier performance of bassist Michael Formanek's Ensemble Kolossus. This big band featured a lot of heavy hitters. The trumpet section included Dave Ballou, Jonathan Finlayson, Ralph Alessi and Shane Endsley. The trombones were Alan Ferber, Jacob Garchik, Ben Gerstein and Jeff Nelson. The reed section was Chris Speed, Oscar Noriega, Loren Stillman, Brian Settles and Tim Berne. Finally, in addition to Formanek in the rhythm section was Kris Davis, Mary Halvorson, Tomas Fujiwara and Patricia Franceschy on vibes and marimba. In both sets the ensemble performed Formanek's extended piece written for the ensemble titled Exoskeleton if I recall correctly. It is an eight part composition that evolves through a variety of moods, tempos and textures. It was a very structured piece with tight ensemble parts – which I appreciated a lot, but at the same time there were opportunities for expressive solos by just about all of the musicians. Very interesting. Hope they have the opportunity to continue to develop as a band and ultimately record.

Forgot to mention that last Friday I caught David Binney’s quartet at Firehouse 12 with Jacob Sacks, Eivind Opsvik and Nasheet Waits. I have been a fan of Binney’s music for a few years, but this was my first opportunity to hear him live. They did not disappoint. Binney was as to be expected – “heady”, but with a lot of fire when needed. I had never really paid attention to Sacks before, but he was impressive Friday night – kind of quirky like I like, but still swinging. Nasheet Waits may have been the star of the night. I have heard him live a few times and as always the rhythms he conjured and the manner in which he engaged with and pushed soloists was mesmerizing.

The final update on my live adventures is that last Saturday I caught Cyrus Chestnut’s Trio at the Artists Collective in Hartford. To be honest, although I appreciate Chestnut’s playing, he is not someone I would normally go out of my way to hear. On this occasion since it was five minutes from my home and free, I felt like I had to go. No real surprises on this night, but nonetheless some enjoyable, bluesy, swinging piano trio music.

Now my big decision after getting home at 2:00 am last night from my Brooklyn excursion is whether I venture back out tonight to Firehouse 12 to hear Larry Ochs and Donald Robinson?

Last night I caught Gary Burton at Scullers. What a great show. Gary lived in the Boston area and played regularly for many years. I took that for granted and somehow never managed to catch him. When the e-mail came in advertising this as his 70th birthday tour, I figured I'd better get off my ass and see him. :)

I am very glad I did.

EDIT: He is doing two more shows tonight so for those of you in the Boston area, you still have an opportunity to see it yourself.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 – 7pm - $15 / $12 members
IMPROVISATIONS – CELEBRATING FREE MUSIC - Interview
FEATURING: KEN VANDERMARK - reeds AND NATE WOOLEY - trumpet
WITH CURATORS: JOE MORRIS - guitar ǀ STEPHEN HAYNES - cornet

Real Art Ways - 56 Arbor Street – Hartford
Improvisations is a monthly, artist-curated series of performances centering on freely improvised music. Featured musicians are placed in combinations ranging from duo to quartet and, often, have never worked together as an ensemble prior to the performance. There is no rehearsal. The music is created in the moment, held by the listener. The aim is to create a listening environment that will allow the audience intimate and deep contact with the music and those who make it. Come early and stay late, listen to and speak with the performing artists. “You know you’re doing something right when the musicians come out to hear you.” – Stephen Haynes

thinking of going to see the following on Sunday night - Ben Gerstein is a wonderful unique trombonist who I have really enjoyed in the past live and Angelica Sanchez is an excellent pianist. I've never heard Jeremy Viner. It looks like a free improvisation group so I'm leaning towards checking it out.

Plus Tyshawn Sorey was a huge surprise for me when I saw him a couple of weeks ago with Evan Parker.

Sunday, Oct 06 - 8:30PM - Cornelia Street Cafe
TYSHAWN SOREY QUARTET
Dan Weiss, host
Angelica Sanchez, piano; Jeremy Viner, clarinet, alto saxophone; Ben Gerstein, trombone; Tyshawn Sorey, drums Tyshawn%20Sorey%20by%20Julia%20Free03(1)

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Last night I caught the Hartford leg of the Ken Vandermark Nate Wooley tour. Vandermark and Wooley performed as part of the Improvisations series curated by Joe Morris and Stephen Haynes at Real Art Ways in Hartford. Also in the audience was fellow Organissimo board member Cliff Peterson, who it is always a pleasure to see. The first set was the Vandermark-Wooley duo. Inspired by the great John Carter-Bobby Bradford tandem, the two played a couple of compositions by Carter and Bradford and then the rest was all original compositions. Even without a rhythm section the duo worked. The compositions added a welcome structure and the two were inspired throughout. After the first set the two were joined by Morris on bass and Haynes on cornet for an approximately 35 minute improvisation. Things got a little wilder at times, but never too far out and at times Morris played with a bit more foundation/groove that kept things somewhat grounded.

Up next Friday night:

Friday, October 4, 2013 - 8:30 pm ($18 and 10 pm ($12)
THE CLAUDIA QUINTET
Firehouse 12 - 45 Crown Street - New Haven

Edited by relyles

I caught Mundell Lowe in a duo with guitarist Mike Magnelli last night. I went to the duo set last night because I planned on watching the entire Browns game tonight. However, I couldn't resist the quartet set (with bassist Peter Dominguez and drummer N. Glenn Davis) tonight. It had been over 4 years since Lowe last came to town (also with Mike Magnelli), and he sounds and looks great at 91. I've been impressed with Mike Magnelli, who is a fine guitarist and complements Lowe quite well.

Gary Smulyan with the Nigel Price Organ Trio at Portsmouth Jazz last night. Well worth going 300 miles to hear! :)

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2013/08/news-gary-smulyan-uk-tour-with-nigel.html

Yep, a great gig, maybe our very best. Nice routines, nothing casual about the gig. Good choice of material and some unusual tempos. Very nice guy too.. Gald you could get down Bill and had a good time.

Gary Smulyan with the Nigel Price Organ Trio at Portsmouth Jazz last night. Well worth going 300 miles to hear! :)

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2013/08/news-gary-smulyan-uk-tour-with-nigel.html

Yep, a great gig, maybe our very best. Nice routines, nothing casual about the gig. Good choice of material and some unusual tempos. Very nice guy too.. Gald you could get down Bill and had a good time.

Thanks for making it possible, John! :tup