What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm almost certainly going to see this concert unless force majeure prevents me ;)

Sunday, December 7th, Windup Space, Baltimore

CREATIVE DIFFERENCES presents:

MAT MANERI & LUCIAN BAN NEW QUINTET with special guest BILLY HART

Mat Maneri (viola), Tony Malaby (ts, ss), Bob Stewart (tuba), Lucian Ban (Fender Rhodes)

Here's the odd thing. On another concert notification, the same group and concert is billed as:

MAT MANERI'S FANTASM

Mat Maneri ,Lucian Ban,Bob Stewart, Tony Malaby and Billy Hart

I wonder why the confusion over names? I'm not thrilled with Ban on Fender Rhodes, but it might turn out interesting after all.

I wonder why Ban is playing the Fender Rhodes

Third drummer for this band - Cleaver, then Mintz - now Billy Hart!!! Great choice - maybe the only better choice would be for Randy Peterson to crank it up with this quintet, but on a serious note, for this band, Hart sounds like a perfect choice as Stewart often drives this band with that tuba groove thing he does

As you know, both times I saw them they were great - the second time they were awesome. Ban's compositions are very striking. Maneri's are oblique sketches with a much more open vibe. Malaby and Maneri together are a dream. Expect them both to be seated facing each other.

I think they are using the Fender Rhodes because the piano they used to have at Windup Space is gone/non-operational. Matt Mitchell had to use the Fender Rhodes when Snakeoil came through there maybe a year or so ago, whereas he used a "regular" piano a day or two before at the DC gig. Yes, looking forward to this group.

Ran Blake

Looks like I will finally get a chance to see the legendary Ran Blake:

Solo performance

Venue: An die Musik Live!, Baltimore

Thursday, December 4, 2014, 8:00 and 9:30PM

I got tickets for the 8:00PM show. If circumstances favor, I might stick around for the 9:30PM show also.

Paging Colinmce!

After an hiatus from the Baltimore scene, I now have two shows I'm keen on attending.

Added: Now I learn that on Saturday, in DC, Ran Blake is holding a Master Class. It's like Ran Blake Central here:

http://atlasarts.org/?s=ran+blake

Edited by Leeway

I may make it up to Baltimore for both the Ran Blake and Mat Maneri & Lucian Ban New Quintet shows as well. I was debating between Robert Glasper Experiment at Birchmere and Mat Maneri/Lucian Ban at Windup Space (especially to see Billy Hart), but the Glasper show sold out, so the decision has been made for me!

BTW, are there any videos or recordings of the Mat Maneri & Lucian Ban Quintet material online, e.g. from when they played in NYC? If I recall correctly, I passed up seeing them at Cornelia Street Cafe for a show at the Stone with Milford Graves/Evan Parker.

Edited by issho

Itzhak Perlman was in town with Rohan de Silva on piano. He seems to have some mobility issues, as he went around -- and even played from -- a little scooter. The music was good though: Vivaldi's Violin Sonata in A, Beethoven Violin Sonata No 7 and Ravel's Violin Sonata #2. The Ravel was interesting, as it was so heavily influenced by Gershwin, but I liked the Beethoven the best.

They played a number of short pieces after that, mostly transcriptions done by Kreisler or Heifetz, with many of them being transcriptions of Rachmaninoff, though they ended with Poulenc and Albeniz. Not sure how much longer Perlman will be touring, so I'm glad I went.

I may make it up to Baltimore for both the Ran Blake and Mat Maneri & Lucian Ban New Quintet shows as well. I was debating between Robert Glasper Experiment at Birchmere and Mat Maneri/Lucian Ban at Windup Space (especially to see Billy Hart), but the Glasper show sold out, so the decision has been made for me!

BTW, are there any videos or recordings of the Mat Maneri & Lucian Ban Quintet material online, e.g. from when they played in NYC? If I recall correctly, I passed up seeing them at Cornelia Street Cafe for a show at the Stone with Milford Graves/Evan Parker.

I don't think so

Don't miss the show. The Cornelia Street shows (Spring & Fall) were both great. The fall show was even better.

This won't mean much to most folks here, but I have to post about it.

I drove from Atlanta to Nashville yesterday with a guitar-playing friend to hear Jack Pearson at his monthly gig at the Station Inn. Pearson is the "lost" guitarist with the Allman Brothers Band - he played with the ABB from 1997 to 1999, during a period in which the band didn't make any albums. I had never heard of him until a couple of years ago, when I heard some live recordings from that period, and some later shows with Pearson subbing for Warren Haynes. I was immediately struck with his playing, which exhibited a sophistication and technique a step or two beyond what you would expect from a blues/rock guitarist. So I tracked down as many ABB shows with Pearson as I could.

But that didn't prepare me for last night. He opened with a solo version of "I Can't Get Started," and later, with his excellent organ trio, played a blistering "Bye Bye Blackbird," in addition to many of his R & B - flavored originals, some blues, a gospel song by Rev. Gary Davis, and a couple of Allman Brothers tunes ("In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and "Blue Skies"). On every tune, whatever the style (or mixture of styles), his playing was just jaw-dropping. If I had to list the 20 best musical performances I have attended, this would be one of them.

Ran Blake at An Die Musik, Baltimore, Dec 4, 2014

IMG_2851.jpg?noCache=1417793176

This is the backdrop to the Ran Blake concert stage. The concert was dedicated to his sister, Marthe. The room was shrouded in a twilight gloom. The piano was turned so that Ran sat almost facing the audience, behind the baby grand. Looking over the piano (top up), I could just discern Ran's face; the keyboard was not visible to the audience. When Ran came by my aisle seat, he was pushing a wheeled walker. I will admit to a flicker of doubt. He managed the large step up to the stage with the assistance of his manager.

Ran sat at the piano. He struck the first note. Amazing. One of those notes that seems to capture all possibilities. All doubts were dispelled, and I knew this was going to be a special event. The only other pianist I know who could combine such strength and authority with such delicacy and sensitivity is Cecil Taylor. Hearing Ran or Cecil in concert is revelatory and unforgettable.

The first set lasted about 50 minutes or so. Ran played set pieces from the program and also improvised. His playing didn't flag. It was ruminative and vital. During the first set, a film clip was played from "Dr. Mabuse," a classic silent horror film. The noirish atmosphere deepened. Ran improvised (I assume) along with the clip, which was visually stunning.

An intermission was taken before the 2nd set. Ran played about 30 minutes, broke briefly, then played another 15 minutes or so. Another silent movie clip, "Spiral Staircase," another noir of course, to which Ran played. The playing remained vital and full of feeling.

Ran's performance was remarkable. He was by turns poetic, spiky, lyrical, powerful. I'm going to try to attend his master class on Saturday.

Went to the Ran Blake Master Class today in DC. The format was 4 young journeyman musicians-- a trumpeter/singer, a guitarist, a bassist, and a saxophonist--played various music suggested by Ran. One was based on an Abbey Lincoln song. First they played the melody "straight," then Ran asked them to play more expressively, putting more of their personal self into it.

Ran also had them improvise as a quartet to the 2 noir films I mentioned in the previous post for Thursday's show.

There were various other musical exercises and discussions. Unfortunately, Ran did not play, except to tap out a few notes on a Fender Rhodes to illustrate a point (there was a piano there too but Ran didn't use it). I took a few notes of things Ran said. Probably old news to died-in-the-wool Ran fans. Anyway, here goes:

1) Ran takes "aural cocktails" two or three nights a week. He has arranged for music he is interested in to be piped into his bedroom while he sleeps. He believes that he absorbs the music while he sleeps over several nights.

2) Ran believes it is important to rest your ears once in a while; no sound, no music, etc, instead read, watch silent film, etc. Your mind needs rest from sound occasionally.

3) Singers are "so important" to developing one's musical sense. He esteems Abbey Lincoln highly.

4) In order of importance, Ran ranks the following as influences on his musical thinking/playing: orchestral music, singers, film directors, then the piano.

5) His personal style was developed though film noir, novels, painting.

6) Development of personal style needs hours and hours of solitude; difficult but important to the self.

7) He is not skilled at algebra but engages in algebraic work to develop himself. He made a promise to his father to achieve certain capabilities in algebra.

8) Ran is always searching his memory; reflections on past and present are vital.

9) Ran spends hours in bed orchestrating music in his head.

10) Ran;s book's title, "The Primacy of the Ear" is foundational to Ran's method; getting the music by ear before getting down to analysis and written form.

11) Developing your personal style requires that you "have a story" to tell.

12) Silence and space are very important to one's development.

Ran struck me as a very sensitive and kind individual, very courteous to audience and the 4 musicians, very encouraging to them also. The time went quickly. I was glad to have met him.

A lot on tap this coming week:

SFJAZZ Celebrating 50th anniversary of A Love Supreme

Dec 10, 'A Love Supreme' Symposium w/ Ashley Kahn, Ravi Coltrane, Ishmael Reed & more!

Dec 13, Ravi Coltrane saxophones, Nicholas Payton trumpet, Adam Rogers guitar, Matt Garrison (Jimmy's son) electric bass, Marcus Gilmore (Roy Haynes' grandson) drums

Dec 14, Johnny Marr at the Independent, a small club - 12/8, TOUR CANCELLED

Edited by BFrank

MAT MANERI & LUCIAN BAN NEW QUINTET with special guest BILLY HART, Baltimore, windup Space, December 7, 2014

Mat Maneri (viola); Tony Malaby (ten & sop saxes); Lucian Ban (Fender Rhodes); Bob Stewart (tuba); Billy Hart (drums)

This is a group that promises a lot, but last night's performance turned out to be a mixed bag. First the negatives. I have a limited appreciation for the Fender Rhodes. When used for splashes of color or a touch of weirdness, it can be enjoyable. When Ban, who plays the piano so beautifully, tried to solo on it, it was downright ugly. What a huge stepdown from a proper piano. Billy Hart is a great drummer, but was a clear mismatch here. On the positive side, he kept the energy level up. On the negative, he tended to drive the group into conventional grooves and limited thematic development. Worst of all, the group invited Dave Ballou, who has a resume in new music, a resident of Baltimore, and a teacher at Towson University, to sit in for three numbers. How can I put this nicely? I am decidedly NOT a fan of Ballou's playing. He screeched and overplayed his way through the pieces, and managed to upset the careful balance of Malaby's reeds and Maneri's viola. BTW, I got to the venue early and found that Ballou was holding a workshop or seminar for a group of his students, using the quintet for performance purposes. I have to think this took some of the edge off their actual performance.

Positives? Bob Stewart killed on tuba; he played it like it was just a tenor. Some great solos from him. Malaby was in fine form, forceful, focused, great tone. Hit some awesome low notes. Maneri was excellent on his solos, but they were not often or long enough. Much of the time, he sort of blended into the rhythm section. Too bad, he sounded great, the venue seemed to play to his sound. The performances without Ballou were so much better. The first number was superb. Maneri mentioned they would play a number of new compositions; no titles given. Only one, that sounded like a polka (!) left me underwhelmed, although the performance itself and individual playing was strong. I can only imagine what this group would be like with a good piano, a less mainstream drummer, and without distractions. Like I said, a mixed bag but still some goodies in it.

MAT MANERI & LUCIAN BAN NEW QUINTET with special guest BILLY HART, Baltimore, windup Space, December 7, 2014

Mat Maneri (viola); Tony Malaby (ten & sop saxes); Lucian Ban (Fender Rhodes); Bob Stewart (tuba); Billy Hart (drums)

This is a group that promises a lot, but last night's performance turned out to be a mixed bag. First the negatives. I have a limited appreciation for the Fender Rhodes. When used for splashes of color or a touch of weirdness, it can be enjoyable. When Ban, who plays the piano so beautifully, tried to solo on it, it was downright ugly. What a huge stepdown from a proper piano. Billy Hart is a great drummer, but was a clear mismatch here. On the positive side, he kept the energy level up. On the negative, he tended to drive the group into conventional grooves and limited thematic development. Worst of all, the group invited Dave Ballou, who has a resume in new music, a resident of Baltimore, and a teacher at Towson University, to sit in for three numbers. How can I put this nicely? I am decidedly NOT a fan of Ballou's playing. He screeched and overplayed his way through the pieces, and managed to upset the careful balance of Malaby's reeds and Maneri's viola. BTW, I got to the venue early and found that Ballou was holding a workshop or seminar for a group of his students, using the quintet for performance purposes. I have to think this took some of the edge off their actual performance.

Positives? Bob Stewart killed on tuba; he played it like it was just a tenor. Some great solos from him. Malaby was in fine form, forceful, focused, great tone. Hit some awesome low notes. Maneri was excellent on his solos, but they were not often or long enough. Much of the time, he sort of blended into the rhythm section. Too bad, he sounded great, the venue seemed to play to his sound. The performances without Ballou were so much better. The first number was superb. Maneri mentioned they would play a number of new compositions; no titles given. Only one, that sounded like a polka (!) left me underwhelmed, although the performance itself and individual playing was strong. I can only imagine what this group would be like with a good piano, a less mainstream drummer, and without distractions. Like I said, a mixed bag but still some goodies in it.

I'm very lucky to have seen the band:

A) Without mainstream drummer

B) Without fender Rhodes

C) Without superfluous, unneeded and grating trumpeter

Plus with plenty of Mat Maneri improvising.

My history of seeing and listening to the great violinist is that his improvisations increase in intensity and creativity when the drummers increases in their abstraction and in their breaking up of the groove

I.e. at his best with guys like Randy Peterson, Ches Smith, Billy Mintz and even Gerald Cleaver. He is certainly fine improvising close to standard changes but he goes to the stratosphere when challenged and when he is challenging the rest of the musicians in the band.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I just can't fathom trying to replace a piano with Fender (which I just flat out hate). Why bother with the performance under those conditions? Sounds like a bummer to me.

It sometimes can work. Matt Mitchell in Snakeoil turned it to good effect in the same venue. Lucian is a different of player than Matt and the group has a different sound than Snakeoil (of course). When Lucian was just filling in, it wasn't bad, but any type of extended solo didn't really work for me. The cheesiness of the Fender starts to intrude. I thought Ballou was more harmful to the group than the Fender. Nevertheless, i wouldn't call it a bummer, there were plenty of good moments, and I always want to hear great players working in new or different circumstances. It eventually but always pays dividends.

Opeth at the Hollywood Palladium tonight.

They just played here on Monday - I missed it.

Let us know how the show is!

They will be coming back for a second leg of the tour in the spring, playing smaller venues and doing two 90-minute sets.

Spring, huh? I wonder if they will make a stop at SXSW?

Opeth was phenomenal as expected. It was a short set because of the dual-headlining arrangement (In Flames & Opeth both played roughly 75 minutes a piece) but it was definitely quality and hit highlights of both their progressive and more metallic moments.

Setlist: (same set as the Warfield gig from the night before)

1. Eternal Rains Will Come (Pale Communion)

2. Cusp Of Eternity (Pale Communion)

3. The Drapery Falls (Blackwater Park)

4. The Moor (Still Life) - they've done some really nice re-arranging of the mid-section of this song, I hope they release it at some point.

5. Windowpane (Damnation)

6. The Lotus Eater (Watershed)

7. Deliverance (Deliverance)

Hearing both Windowpane and Deliverance was a treat, two of my favorite Opeth songs.

Can't wait till they come back through with their longer set next year.

Edited by Shawn

Seeing the Philadelphia Orchestra tonight. In Philadelphia.

Bramwell Tovey - Conductor

Alison Balsom - Trumpet

PROGRAM

Britten - Passacaglia, from Peter Grimes

Tovey - Songs of the Paradise Saloon, for trumpet and orchestra

INTERMISSION

Gershwin - Catfish Row; Suite from Porgy and Bess

Bernstein - Symphonic Dances from West Side Story