What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ideal Bread is the kind of band that I'd like to hear about 4 sets in one night

All selections from Beating the Teens

Fujiwara fantastic. Sinton is a master and the set was pretty much as great as I expected.

Thoughts on the other band if I can wind myself up to get honest about a quartet (save for Sinton) not ready for public appearances.

Ideal Bread is the kind of band that I'd like to hear about 4 sets in one night

All selections from Beating the Teens

Fujiwara fantastic. Sinton is a master and the set was pretty much as great as I expected.

Thoughts on the other band if I can wind myself up to get honest about a quartet (save for Sinton) not ready for public appearances.

The one time I hear Ideal Bread live I thought they were fantastic as well.

Mary Halvorson - Georgetown University, Friday the 13th, February 2015

Just got back from a Mary Halvorson solo performance at Georgetown University, part of their Afternoon Music series. Mary also conducted a Master Class for GU music students. The concert was presented free (thank you GU) as part of Mary's visit. I've seen Mary in every possible configuration, from nonet to duo, but her solo appearances have been scarce, so this was an especially welcome performance. Do I need to say that the performance was superb? It was.

The interesting aspect of this performance was Mary performed "covers" of a variety of compositions. I took note of the set list (I might have missed one); a fascinating set of compositions:

Ornette Coleman - "Sadness"

Carla Bley - "Ida Lupino"

Annette Peacock - "Blood"

Oliver Nelson - "The Cat"

Duke Ellington - "Solitude"

Chris Lightcap - "Platform"

Tomas Fujiwara - "When"

Although the concert was recorded by GU, it is not planned to be released; however, Mary has recorded these and other pieces for a solo album, which will be released on Firehouse 12 in the Fall. That will be one to get. Friday the 13th turned out to be a lucky day after all.

Just got back from a Mary Halvorson solo performance at Georgetown University, part of their Afternoon Music series. Mary also conducted a Master Class for GU music students. The concert was presented free (thank you GU) as part of Mary's visit. I've seen Mary in every possible configuration, from nonet to duo, but her solo appearances have been scarce, so this was an especially welcome performance. Do I need to say that the performance was superb? It was.

The interesting aspect of this performance was Mary performed "covers" of a variety of compositions. I took note of the set list (I might have missed one); a fascinating set of compositions:

Tomas Fujiwara - "When"

Although the concert was recorded by GU, it is not planned to be released; however, Mary has recorded these and other pieces for a solo album, which will be released on Firehouse 12 in the Fall. That will be one to get. Friday the 13th turned out to be a lucky day after all.

MH playing "Ida Lupino". I need to hear that. Autumn's a long way off

Tomas Fujiwara - "When"

MH playing "Ida Lupino". I need to hear that. Autumn's a long way off

Indeed, this write up has got me even more excited for the solo disc.

Just found out that Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock are playing duets in NZ in May! To be honest i'm not a huge fan of what i've heard of their duets on disc but it's Corea! And Hancock! I'm sure it'll be a great show live.

Anthony Braxton's solo concert at the Bama Theater in Tuscaloosa tonight was magnificent. He (probably wisely) started with a lyrical piece and a conventionally virtuosic piece before moving on to more challenging material - multiphonics, overtone manipulation, circular breathing, extreme register changes, etc. During the opening piece he briefly quoted "Four," which he played in full later in the set. My favorite piece was one from one of his early series of compositions (Cobalt, maybe?). There was a clear additive/subtractive structural process going on - I was fascinated.

I hadn't heard Braxton in person for 20 years before tonight, and I was struck with how beautiful his sound was - rich and full, even with the touch of air that has always been part of his tone.

Tomorrow night - orchestra music with the University of Alabama big band, then home. I wish I could stay until Saturday to hear him with Alvin Fielder, but I have to get back to Atlanta to play myself.

Anthony Braxton's solo concert at the Bama Theater in Tuscaloosa tonight was magnificent. He (probably wisely) started with a lyrical piece and a conventionally virtuosic piece before moving on to more challenging material - multiphonics, overtone manipulation, circular breathing, extreme register changes, etc. During the opening piece he briefly quoted "Four," which he played in full later in the set. My favorite piece was one from one of his early series of compositions (Cobalt, maybe?). There was a clear additive/subtractive structural process going on - I was fascinated.

I hadn't heard Braxton in person for 20 years before tonight, and I was struck with how beautiful his sound was - rich and full, even with the touch of air that has always been part of his tone.

Tomorrow night - orchestra music with the University of Alabama big band, then home. I wish I could stay until Saturday to hear him with Alvin Fielder, but I have to get back to Atlanta to play myself.

Would love to have been there. What instruments did he play?

Would love to have been there. What instruments did he play?

Alto saxophone only for the solo concert.

I'm high as a kite after tonight's concert. I could let myself be slightly disappointed that Braxton himself did not take a more active role, either as conductor or instrumentalist, but I'm not disappointed at all, because the music was of very high quality. Taylor Ho Bynum conducted all three pieces, alone or assisted by one or two other conductors, depending on the piece. First up was Composition 174, for percussion ensemble and recorded voices. It was 35 minutes long, and magical. The recorded "actors" (members of the percussion ensemble, maybe?) recited dialogue that could be interpreted as a science fiction story about a visit to another planet, or a commentary on the music, or both. It's the kind of thing I hate, except that I loved it. Like I said, this was a magical experience.

Then the University of Alabama jazz ensemble played a long collage piece that started as Composition 134 (which I recognized from the Eugene (1989) album) and which contained large chunks of Composition 100 and bits of other pieces. (I only know that because I talked to one of the saxophone players afterwards.) There were some tentative moments - these were student musicians, after all - but it was excellent, overall.

The finale was a glorious version of Composition 58, the twisted march from Creative Orchestra Music, played by the big band, the percussion ensemble (with several vintage field drums), and three saxophone soloists - Braxton on sopranino, Andrew Raffo Dewar on soprano, and the U of A saxophone professor (whose name I don't know) on alto.

This is likely to be the only chance I have to hear some of the large ensemble music of Braxton, who has been a hero of mine since I was 18. As I said elsewhere on the web, I'm kind of glad I have to go home in the morning, because I don't know how much more excitement I can take.

Edited by jeffcrom

k u guys gotta hear abt this, i saw "network trio" feat. Pharaoh Sanders. stanley jordan (piano, gtr) / Charnett Moffett (bs) / Tain Watts (ds).

i really did not have a good experience. Pharaoh sounded amazing but the SET WAS ALL FUNK, and towards the end they did a piece which completely lost all continuity, i mean i was lost. SJ played mostly piano / gtr AT THE SAME TIME.....is he tapping, is that what his thing is? well he was tappin w/ the left hand and chords on the piano w/ the rt. so he sat at the piano the whole show like that.

the closest thing i can compare this concert to, i guess, is that Pharaoh Sanders meets the latin jazz qt lp on "trip"......totally random.

i would go so far, forgive me i know theyre good dudes, in that band, but it was almost to me disrespectful, that they wouldnt have done at least one of Pharaoh's many special songs, when they have this great amazing musician in the band.

even though i wasnt diggin any of the beats, when pharaoh soloed, it was magic, + i was thinkin abt goin back later tonite just for that.

but i mean he was just a sideman more or less in this ensemble, it was so strange.

------------------------

heres the best part:

the best part was when i got to hear and then see a little of pharoah practicing after the show in the hallway by the bathrooms, until some dumb girl came up and was all: 'oooo thats the best intro to the bathroom ive ever had tee hee', and interrupted him and i was all: :rmad: !!!!

but thats the ultimate sign of greatness, practicing after the concert. a sign of true genius