What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monder's pretty much in a class of his own.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for him in the future. Not necessarily the kind of thing I'd want to listen to on a regular basis, but it is really impressive to watch.

Tonight: Sylvie Courvoisier and Mark Feldman @ Tonic. This is not a show I'd normally go to (especially on a Tuesday night), but with Tonic closing it's doors this week it's a no-brainer.

I want to hear the trio!

I'm going Thursday night - got my tix yesterday.

I think it's Abercrombie at Birdland on Thursday for me.

You know the two big modern jazz guitarists that I've never been able to get into are Abercrombie and Matheny. Can you recommend a good entry point?

Monder's pretty much in a class of his own.

Tonight: Sylvie Courvoisier and Mark Feldman @ Tonic. This is not a show I'd normally go to (especially on a Tuesday night), but with Tonic closing it's doors this week it's a no-brainer.

This was a much better show than I expected. The opening act was atrocious, but Feldman and Courvoisier were really on tonight.

I want to hear the trio!

I'm going Thursday night - got my tix yesterday.

I think it's Abercrombie at Birdland on Thursday for me.

You know the two big modern jazz guitarists that I've never been able to get into are Abercrombie and Matheny. Can you recommend a good entry point?

Metheny recommendations are easy to find, I like the early stuff, Bright Size Life, Watercolors, New Chautauqua, Off Ramp.

I'll start a thread on Abercrombie in a few days. I've been working on a discography that will be on the web soon. He's done a lot, particularly as a side man. I want to be careful about what to recommend.

Has anybody seen Jim Rotondi before? He's playing here (yes, here!) on Thursday night with the local community college jazz band.

I don't know if I can get there in time after my son's t-ball game Thursday evening, but might try.

I've seen him several times in several different bands...always good!

Tonight it's Peter Brotzmann at Tonic. I've never been a huge Brotzmann fan, but I'm pretty excited about this show.

I really enjoyed this show, but it didn't make me want to run out and buy any records. I think this kind of thing is a lot more fun to see live than to subject yourself - I mean listen to - at home.

Has anybody seen Jim Rotondi before? He's playing here (yes, here!) on Thursday night with the local community college jazz band.

I don't know if I can get there in time after my son's t-ball game Thursday evening, but might try.

I've seen him several times in several different bands...always good!

Are you going tonight, Agg?

I've also seen him a few times. A solid player, for sure, but his playing has never really "hit" me yet. I'm interested to hear your impressions...

Unfortunately I'm missing Rotondi. Just got home from my son's game (we tied 17-17, with a valiant rally to come back in the last inning), and the show is already going on. :(

I hate it too, because this is the first national jazz artist I'm aware of that's played in Corpus in I don't know how long (outside of the "Texas Jazz Festival", which mainly offers up local and regional musicians - as much Tejano as jazz). I'd love to support any touring artists that make the effort to get to get off the beaten track and come down here.

Rotondi may be more in the traditional vein than my tastes sort of veer towards, but I'd still love to have seen him.

Edited by Aggie87

Ruth Naomi Floyd and Renewal at Cheyney State University in West Chester, PA, Dudley Center for the Arts, 7:30 PM. See Doug Ramsey's review of her latest album below her website URL.

http://www.contourrecords.com/Default.asp?

Ruth Naomi Floyd, Root to the Fruit (Contour). Ms. Floyd is a Philadelphia singer whose jazz connections and finely tuned musicianship are as organic to her art as are her Christian convictions. In her fifth album, she leads ten musicians including saxophonist Gary Thomas, drummer Ralph Peterson, bassist Tyrone Brown and the incredible flutist James Newton. Songs like "Mere Breath" and "The Bottle of Tears" disclose her as a solid composer and lyricist whose work holds up well in the company of pieces by Randy Weston, Mary Lou Williams and Antonín Dvoøák. The control, phrasing and inflections of her creamy mezzo-soprano voice make Ms. Floyd one of the most compelling singers of the day, regardless of idiom.

---By Doug Ramsey, November 22, 2006 for http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/. Mr. Ramsey is the author of Take Five: The Public and Private Lives of Paul Desmondand Jazz Matters: Reflections on the Music and Some of its Makers. He has written regularly for Jazz Times since 1975.

I just heard Cyrus Chestnut's Trio last night. A nice set that was wide-ranging, with originals, standards, hymns and spirituals, plus even a few entertaining reworkings of tunes associated with Elvis Presley that are from his upcoming Koch CD (and I've never particularly been a fan of Elvis).

Edited by Ken Dryden