Joe Pass Mosaic Set

JohnS

I don't understand the hesitancy. Get it now and savor the set for a lifetime. You're going to like it if you are a Pass fan. You can't not like Joe Pass, IMO. He's one of my favorites, period. Genius, beautiful, fluid, emotional solos everytime out. Don't wait, this one's a keeper, I'm sure of it.

For Django is a GREAT session. However, I felt there was a "sameness" to the music in the other sessions in the box -- rhythm, tone, etc. I fell asleep listening to this set. I like the Johnny Smith, Django, and especially Tal Farlow boxes for my guitar fixes. John, if you heard his stuff and dig it, by all means go for it. It ain't my cup of tea.

The box set is NOT ESSENTIAL unless you are a Joe Pass fanatic. The 'sameness' refers to his 'almost-nylon' string sound and his solo runs up the neck and nearly identical way of resolving them.

You've got Joe covered if you own vinyl copies of:

The Complete 'Catch Me' Sessions 1963, (LT-1053)

'For Django' 1964 (LN-10132)

'Joy Spring' 1964 (LT-1103

"Simplicity', 1967 (WPS-21865)

'Intercontinental', 1973 (MPS-20738)

'Tudo Bem', 1978 (Pablo 2310-824)

I've seen him perform live twice (once in duo with Jim Hall). As I don't play guitar, I really don't have an axe to grind. And I don't need the Mosaic box.

• 11 years later...
4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

One question: in the Tom Lord disco there are footnotes that Clare Fischer claimed he did not play on several sessions he is credited for - anybody knows more detailas, is this found only in the Mosaic booklet?

I have the Pass Mosaic.  Here are the sessions with Clare Fischer: 

1/30/63, 2/4/63, "probably February 1963," 7/18/63, 7/29/63 - all resulting in PJ ST-73, "Catch Me."

I saw no mention in Kirk Silsbee's notes of Fischer not playing on several sessions he is credited for.

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

According to Lord, "Clare Fischer claims  he was not on these titles" - he put this note below the "probably February 1963" and the February 4, 1963 sessions.

From Silsbee's notes: Re "Mood Indigo" (from 2/4/63): "After Fischer moves his solo into waltz time, Pass brings the tune into blues territory."  Re "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" (from "probably February 1963"): "Fisher seems to decline the solo space offered to him on TNHATE so Pass burns brightly without being flashy."  Also, after the "Album Index" section in the booklet, it says "Special thanks to Les McCann, Clare Fischer, John Pisano, Russ Wapensky and the Institute of Jazz Studies."

Strange - either someone working for Lord misread the session notes from the Mosaic booklet, or he has some other source. I trust Mosaic a bit more. Thanks for your input!

I'll get me a copy, 'cause I like early Pass the best, his attack and drive, e.g. on the Groove Holmes sessions for Pacific Jazz, and I like Fischer and Les McCann, and think Pass brought an intereresting aspect to McCann's approach. 

On 2/13/2016 at 10:48 PM, mikeweil said:

One question: in the Tom Lord disco there are footnotes that Clare Fischer claimed he did not play on several sessions he is credited for - anybody knows more detailas, is this found only in the Mosaic booklet?

Check this link

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ux5t-oois/records.html

find Catch Me  (1963) then click on Details then at very bottom of this page click on Please Check at #20-1 to get info on Mosaic set 

I think this is the information I gave Tom a few years back to update the Pass discography

BTW what is the version of Lord you are using?

Edited by romualdo

• 1 year later...