Deep Blue Organ Trio

Sundog

And Greg Rockingham has what must be the definitive resume for an organ drummer:

Drummer Greg Rockingham began playing when he was just three years old and debuted as a professional musician at age five in his father's jazz ensemble. An alumnus of the famed Interlochen Arts Academy and Northeastern University, Greg has performed or recorded with a wide range of famous names, including the orchestras of Glenn Miller and Guy Lombardo, vocalists Freddie Cole, Patty Page and Jerry Vale and instrumentalists Nat Adderley, Kenny Burrell, Charles Earland and Ellis Marsalis.

http://deepblueorgantrio.com/bio2.html

Just kidding - cat's obviously a pro and ain't afraid to go after some bucks. Hell yeah.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

From The Deep Blue Organ Trio Wesite... (see link above)

Goin' To Town!

01/25/06

We're in post production, mixing and editing our new CD/DVD which we recorded live at the Green Mill in Chicago. We're getting more and more excited as it comes together. We think you're gonna like it. Keep checking in here for the official release date, but for now expect it sometime this spring. Press Kits On-Line- For an electronic press kit for the group, visit www.sonicbids.com/deepblue (see links on 'Audio' page)

Let me be the first to react to this wonderful news with a resounding.... HELL YEAH!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong there were things about the first record that I really loved, and it is a hellofa cookin' band who I was happy to promote on the air when they've come into Michigan, but the first recording lacked focus in it's approach. As in, let's put everything we can do on a single disc, rather than make one disc of the BEST thing they can do, another disc from a second aspect, etc. A little scattershot as an album.

Don't get me wrong there were things about the first record that I really loved, and it is a hellofa cookin' band who I was happy to promote on the air when they've come into Michigan, but the first recording lacked focus in it's approach. As in, let's put everything we can do on a single disc, rather than make one disc of the BEST thing they can do, another disc from a second aspect, etc. A little scattershot as an album.

Like the band, have not heard the disc but this is a frequent problem when musicians have control of the "package". A fair number of good artists have sunk themselves 'cause they had "control".

......the first recording lacked focus in it's approach. As in, let's put everything we can do on a single disc, rather than make one disc of the BEST thing they can do, another disc from a second aspect, etc. A little scattershot as an album.

I don't disagree with any of that. I guess it's just a matter of degree. For me, the quality of the playing overcomes those "problems" making it one hell of a good time record that also has quite a bit of depth musically.

Personally, I'd recommend Bobby Broom's own "Modern Man" recording with Dr. Lonnie Smith, Ronnie Cuber and Idris Muhammed as one of the best organ jazz records done in recent memory. Bobby Broom is a killer and he really shines on Modern Man along with the rest of the great lineup. Props to Delmark for putting it out. Would like to see another.

Personally, I'd recommend Bobby Broom's own "Modern Man" recording with Dr. Lonnie Smith, Ronnie Cuber and Idris Muhammed as one of the best organ jazz records done in recent memory. Bobby Broom is a killer and he really shines on Modern Man along with the rest of the great lineup. Props to Delmark for putting it out. Would like to see another.

I agree with you, really. :tup

Here is a thread about Bobby Broom's "Modern Man"

Like I said, don't get me wrong. But it would have been nice to have an album of material such as "willow weep for me" and another album of new standards and soul classics such as the Prince tune, or "It Was A Very Good Year." They have range, but rather than try to show it all on one disc it may have been more effective over several.