Jewish jazz musicians

Dmitry

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51SAK0JJPXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just getting to know this intriguing album (Associate Producer: Chuck Nessa) which I received two days ago. Reading in the 68-page booklet(!) that Allen's parents ran a hotel in Fallsburgh, N.Y, "the heart of the Catskills Mountains' Borsht Belt", and noting his alternative title of "Oy Vay" for Zoot Sims's "Zootcase", I wonder if he should join Al Cohn and Stan Getz as Jewish sons of Lester. Anyone know?

hmmm....Dave Schildkraut told me that they had a place called Eager's Garden, up in the Catskills.

Many years ago, when I was seeking out old beboppers (like Curely Russell, Tommy Potter, Haig, Gene Quill and others) I was desperately trying to find Eager, as I thought he must be the most interesting guy around, loved his playing and thought he must have an interesting story. I had no luck for years and, finally, he was appearing at the Newport/NYC jazz fest (well, maybe it was the Cool Fest that year - coulda been around 1980 or so). So I found out what hotel he was staying at, called and talked to him, and boy, was he a jerk, nasty and vain. And unfortunately his playing (as I recall he appeared onstage with Al Cohn and maybe someone else) was just terrible.

Edited by AllenLowe

just found reference to this at an internet sight that covers the old Catskill circuit:

"Eager Rose Garden"

sounds like the place Schildkraut was talking about.

more internet stuff:

"Allen Eager, tenor sax, b. New York, NY, USA. d. April 13, 2003, Daytona Beach, FL, USA (liver cancer). Eager's parents owned and operated the "Eager Rose Garden" hotel for many years in what was then the town of Bushville (now called 'Harris' - near the town of Callicoon, New York), on which property now stands the 'Catskill Regional Medical Center'"

OK, here's a clue:

Yale Strom's The Book of Klezmer has some wonderful anecdotes from former Dave Tarras trumpet player Sheldon “Shelly” Hendler about how Tarras was viewed by jazz musicians.[3] Hendler played with Dave Tarras from 1952 to 1959, starting when he was a senior in high school.[4] Accordion to Hendler, Tarras was a wonderful player of Yiddish music, but he didn't fully understand American music. He says that Tarras never had a sense of the ABA form, and would start another tune when he was supposed to come in with the next section. But his playing of the Yiddish music excelled, especially the improvisational doyne, which could last up to an hour. Saxophonist Allen Eager’s mother owned a hotel where Tarras and his band were playing, and Eager would bring up jazz musicians friends including Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, and Red Rodney to hear Taras play. These jazz musicians were only interested in the modal (Yiddish, and primarily the doynes) music that Dave played.

Source: http://matttemkin.info/Masters_Thesis/Chapter_4.html

Hal Stein - sax

Harvey Leonard - piano

Steve Elson - sax

Harvey Wainapel - sax

Jennie Stein (Graciela Carriqui) - singer

Mel Martin - sax

Mark Levine - piano

Mark Soskin - piano

Al Plank - piano

Bob Newman - sax

Kitty Margolis - singer

Rob Schneiderman - sax

Rob Schneider - sax

Dave Berkman - piano

Louis Kahn - trombone

Peter Apfelbaum - sax

Jessica Fuchs (Jess Jones) - sax

Lee Bloom - piano

Myron Cohen - drums

Michael Brecker - sax

Randy Brecker - trumpet

Dave Berger - piano

Bobby Rosenstein - drums

Art Lande - piano

New guy here. Was gonna mention Steve Lacy and the Brecker Brothers, but see they're already mentioned. One small bit of Jewish geography--both they and jazz fusion guy Jeff Lorber went to same high school in suburban Philly...

Edited by Trey

I think that what others meant in their comments about Jewish people is that they have a number of people that are gifted (in all sorts of areas) that is way out of proportion to their total numbers. Musicians, scientists, and so on.

This is not at all derogatory. It's good stuff.

The reason is that the Jews are God's chosen people. Their achievements are a sign of God's blessing.

Clement Greenberg, the art critic and writer, has an interesting essay on Jewishness and self-criticism, which he believes enters into the ideal of high achievement in arts, sciences and letters for Jewish men.

Truth be told, self-criticism (aka humility about one's self at some level) is essential for any sustained high achievement in any field.

It's also a quality that has sorely and consistently been pushed out out the general consciousness for the last...half-century, if not more?

• 3 weeks later...

Does that mean Jeff Lorber's Jewish too?

Hal Stein - sax

Harvey Leonard - piano

Steve Elson - sax

Harvey Wainapel - sax

Jennie Stein (Graciela Carriqui) - singer

Mel Martin - sax

Mark Levine - piano

Mark Soskin - piano

Al Plank - piano

Bob Newman - sax

Kitty Margolis - singer

Rob Schneiderman - sax

Rob Schneider - sax

Dave Berkman - piano

Louis Kahn - trombone

Peter Apfelbaum - sax

Jessica Fuchs (Jess Jones) - sax

Lee Bloom - piano

Myron Cohen - drums

Michael Brecker - sax

Randy Brecker - trumpet

Dave Berger - piano

Bobby Rosenstein - drums

Art Lande - piano

New guy here. Was gonna mention Steve Lacy and the Brecker Brothers, but see they're already mentioned. One small bit of Jewish geography--both they and jazz fusion guy Jeff Lorber went to same high school in suburban Philly...

I hope Allen Eager was Jewish, as I've mentioned him as such in my book.

OK, here's a clue:

Yale Strom's The Book of Klezmer has some wonderful anecdotes from former Dave Tarras trumpet player Sheldon “Shelly” Hendler about how Tarras was viewed by jazz musicians.[3] Hendler played with Dave Tarras from 1952 to 1959, starting when he was a senior in high school.[4] Accordion to Hendler, Tarras was a wonderful player of Yiddish music, but he didn't fully understand American music. He says that Tarras never had a sense of the ABA form, and would start another tune when he was supposed to come in with the next section. But his playing of the Yiddish music excelled, especially the improvisational doyne, which could last up to an hour. Saxophonist Allen Eager’s mother owned a hotel where Tarras and his band were playing, and Eager would bring up jazz musicians friends including Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, and Red Rodney to hear Taras play. These jazz musicians were only interested in the modal (Yiddish, and primarily the doynes) music that Dave played.

Ah yes, confirmation. I've just flicked through Susan J Miller's memoir, Never Let Me Down. She writes: "The musicians who came to our house fascinated me ... Allen Eager, Tiny Kahn, George Handy, Stan Getz, Johnny Mandel, Georgie Auld - these names resonate in my heart like the Yiddish that I heard so often then"

I hope Allen Eager was Jewish, as I've mentioned him as such in my book.

OK, here's a clue: