Jazz in Paris.

B. Goren.

From the jazzmatazz:

Various Artists - Jazz in Paris - Champs Elysess - 3 CD box set (Verve Int'l) Apr 5

Various Artists - Jazz in Paris - Montmartre - 3 CD box set (Verve Int'l) Apr 5

Various Artists - Jazz in Paris - Rive Gauche - 3 CD box set (Verve Int'l) Apr 5

Various Artists - Jazz in Paris - Saint Germain Des-Pres - 3 CD box set (Verve Int'l) Apr 5

Any idea about the artists and recording dates??? Is a complete discography available???

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Django is available as a single CD now? Where?

I can't find it on display here: http://www.universalmusic.fr/servlet/Front...yword=reinhardt

That website is annoying.

Also: on the deluxe boxes: I think you, brownie, mentioned somewhere that one of them had an unreleased album, but the rest of them contained three already released JiP discs? (Or was that the Belgium that includes a new album? And is the Belgium a deluxe box, too? Same format etc?)

Should we donate to Vivendi in order to have them setting up a new website for Universal France? Or should they donate to us in order for us continuing to browse their useless website?

This is Jazz in Paris nr. 102 Django Reinhardt 'Place de Brouckere'

http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?PRID...5ae9d8d7c6&Fr=4

This is the only new CD that has appeared in the series since the Sacha Distel double CD.

The four boxes have mostly material that have been released in the other albums from the series. Some new tracks show up on those boxes. Haven't got these but they are things of beauty! Very well designed sets!

Thanks brownie!

Let me post this (helps me memorizing it - in order to indeed pick up this here and not one of the seven Djangos I already have...):

0602498171158.jpg

And on the boxes: they do not simply include 3 JiP discs each, but are re-composed out of material that was spread over JiP discs, do I get that correct? They are beautiful, yes, indeed! I've been tempted, but so far I was able to resist...

ubu

• 1 month later...

Although the Sasha Distel looks as if it belongs in the JIP series it is marked 'hors serie'; outside series.

Also 'hors serie' is a Django Reinhart 2 CD set 'The Great Blue Star Sessions 1947 - 1953' on Universal 835418-2. This has 33 tracks from the sessions of 16 April, 6 July, 18 July, 4 October, 10 December 1947 and 10 March 1953. It seems to be the complete Barclay / Blue Stars sessions but does not include the alternate takes.

• 2 weeks later...

A few comments. I'm ordering the Django Jazz in Paris (no 102) from Amazon France, which seems a little cheaper (maybe not once postage is added in).

Django on Amazon.fr I guess one nice feature of globalization is that your basic account info is shared between Amazon US, UK, France and Japan, making it a lot easier to get imports at a fairly reasonable price.

I was really on the fence about the fancy box sets. I finally did order them when I got a break on shipping, but I hope I don't regret it. I think that I will probably have 70-80% (or more) of the material in the JiP sets already, though the booklets certainly are a major selling point. I suppose they might be worth $20 apiece, depending on how informative they are. If there is too much duplication, then I can always give them away (right).

Finally, I am not sure that this Django Reinhart 2 CD set 'The Great Blue Star Sessions 1947 - 1953' on Universal 835418-2 is really worth it. It is sometimes called Peche à la Mouche (on Verve) and does have a cool cover, but the material that is the selling point is the 1953 Blue Star sessions with Django on electric guitar.

This is available on the two JiP discs from the last set: Nuits de Saint-Germain des Pres and Nuages. Nuages also has Django's final 1953 recording session for Decca. Note, however, that both of these discs are under 40 minutes and could have been combined. But I was awfully glad to find I had the material already BEFORE I went and ordered Peche a la Mouche, which I was about 10 minutes away from doing. It is terrific stuff. While Nuages is great, his version of Brazil always catches my ear. I usually play it three times in a row.

I agree that those two Django discs are wonderful, I love them. . . !

It's just a guess, but I think you'll reallly enjoy the box sets. I ordered them all at a great price from cduniverse and was bowled over by their beautiful packaging and the excellent booklets and the wonderful sound. Yes, i have nearly all the discs in the series. There is a numbrer of tracks that don't appear in the series however, and all are nicely compiled and a very pleasing and stimulating listen.

The boxes truly are wonderful. I wasn't expecting them to come in 10" boxes either.

I bought the last 2 and when I opened one of the cases in "Rive Gauche" there wasn't a disc in it. Uh oh. No problem, CDUniverse is sending me a whole 'nother box set and I can still keep the other one.

I'm probably going to order the other 2 as I'm so impressed with the books and the sequencing of the discs, plus buy a couple of extra sets as gifts. Even at the current price of $23 plus shipping they seem to be worth more than that given the classy packaging. It's the perfect gift for someone who wants to keep her French skills up to snuff and also enjoys jazz. ^_^

The cduniverse.com price is $22.89 per box not including shipping. (I believe you add $5 for the first title & then $1 per additional title.)

For whatever reason it was sometimes possible to get the individual Jazz In Paris releases for inexpensive prices ($4.99 to 5.99) over here in the US. Again, not all the time or everywhere, but aside from the Dusty Groove blowout there were other times where if you could find the discs they were inexpensive.

What is remarkable about the box sets is that unlike some of the individual releases the discs tend to have more minutes of music, plus there's the terrific book as well. So the pricing is pretty fantastic.

Froogle only kicks out 2 other places selling the set. The high price is $27.99, the low $22.49.

Sounds like we're very lucky over here in the states!

OK, it's late at night and I've been drinking Petite Sirah. Time to pick up the other 2 sets! :excited:

Edited by Quincy

Are those boxes being dumped in the States?

The regular prices for these is in the €55 ($65) range inb the shops around here. I have stayed away from them even if they look very good!

check in with amazon.fr

caiman offers all three boxes for 18euro there.

Are those boxes being dumped in the States?

The regular prices for these is in the €55 ($65) range inb the shops around here. I have stayed away from them even if they look very good!

check in with amazon.fr

caiman offers all three boxes for 18euro there.

But then how much would be the shipping costs from the States?

Then the French customs would add import taxes :angry: as they do pretty often on shipments from the States...