Favorite recent vinyl purchases??

wolff

Not jazz, but a big :tup for the 4 Men With Beards reissue of Aretha's classic "I Never Loved A Man...." . Get it, and play loud!!!!

Art Pepper Mosaic LP set, off eBay: Man, I am starting to get a lot of Art Pepper without making it a priority. To me, he is very accessable yet very unique. He transforms a tune into something I love and would not pay attention to otherwise. He does not fit it, yet does, if you know what I mean. There are also some sweet Chet Baker highlights in this set.

I'm up to 17 Mosaic LP sets. I have many classic original jazz LP's, yet these Mosaics remain at the top of the stack.

What next???? One of the Commodore's on eBay at the monent???

Edited by wolff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite LP's acquired in the last few years are, by far, my Pee Wee Russells and my Big Bands, both from the thirties and forties and more recent ones.

Interestingly, some Big Bands have reassembled over the years, with new, younger personel, my particular favourite being alumni of Woody Herman's various "herds". My favourite Herman is the 40th Anniversary set recorded at Carnegie Hall in 1976. Beautiful!!

Not jazz, but a big :tup for the 4 Men With Beards reissue of Aretha's classic "I Never Loved A Man...." . Get it, and play loud!!!!

Art Pepper Mosaic LP set, off eBay: Man, I am starting to get a lot of Art Pepper without making it a priority. To me, he is very accessable yet very unique. He transforms a tune into something I love and would not pay attention to otherwise. He does not fit it, yet does, if you know what I mean. There are also some sweet Chet Baker highlights in this set.

I'm up to 17 Mosaic LP sets. I have many classic original jazz LP's, yet these Mosaics remain at the top of the stack.

What next???? One of the Commodore's on eBay at the monent???

I have the Commodore set, and volume 3 is way less interesting than vol. 1 and vol. 2. I wouldn't advise paying big bucks for vol. 3 unless you already have vol. 1 and 2 (and maybe not then either).

Picked up three LPs today in a store in San Juan Bautista today, while the wife was buying crystal (no, the glass stuff, dummy!) and such. Found Bobby Hutcherson's Waiting, Eddie Condon's Jammin' at Condon's, and Art Hodes All Star Stompers. To be honest, I'm not at all familiar with Hodes, other than what I've read here, but the jacket was just so damned cool looking I had to have it. Let's call it an educational buy... ;)

Art Pepper Plus Eleven(Contemporary/Fantasy reissue) What a nice find IMO...I believe this is a Sheffield Lab Remaster from the 70's, from after Fantasy bought Contemporary, but before they remastered in-house(OJC). Pure joy to listen to. Feels like I can reach out and touch the band.

I've heard the Acoustic Sounds 45RPM edition is mind blowingly good and I can believe it.

Edited by wolff

Gretch Drum Night at Birdland, on Roulette. Paid a dollar for it, a total fluke, but the vinyl is in terriffic shape.

Epogee - w/ Warne Marsh and I forget the other sax player, on Warner Bros. A promo copy, in unuaually thick vinyl for the time - late 70's. Fantastic playing!

Last night I found a "Fia Fiaga" recording by Vital Information in the $1.00 bin.  It's been out of print for years!  It looks like a radio promo, because it has a big "SALE IS UNLAWFUL" stamp on the bar code.  Good stuff B-)

I always get a tiny shiver that I'm committing some sort of felony when I buy those "Unlawful For Sale - For Promotion Only" LPs. Most of the ones I have are compilations of tracks from the fifties.

When you consider that I wait for the light to change, even at 2AM, it's quite funny.

:lol:

Edited by patricia

We're moving, so the turntable is out of my reach. Has been for a month or so.

Which doesn't mean the addiction is loosening its hold, so I'm still on the prowl.

Got the Trout Mask Replica in NM- today. Not the original Straight label, not the Bizarre label, but the mid-70s Reprise. Still, well worth the $10 spent.

This ought to bring the bedroom community where we're moving to its knees when I'll play it first thing in the morning one balmy Sunday.