Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

Sonzala Media, Austin, TX, austinsurreal@gmail.com, 713-261-5102

Twitter - @Pushermania

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chicago Jazz Legends Come to Texas for Two Special Shows

Proper Ent., Nameless Sound & Project Row Houses join forces with AustinSurreal/HoustonSoReal to present Ethnic Heritage Ensemble in Austin and Houston.

Jan. 12, 2011 – Proper Entertainment, Nameless Sound, Project Row Houses and AustinSurreal/HoustonSoReal are happy to announce two exciting performances by Chicago jazz legends, Ethnic Heritage Ensemble.

Feb. 9, 2011 – Ethnic Heritage Ensemble live at The ND, 501 N. I-H 35, Austin, TX

(Presented by Proper Ent. & AustinSurreal)

Feb. 10, 2011 – Ethnic Heritage Ensemble live at The Historic El Dorado Ballroom, 2310 Elgin St., Houston, TX (Presented by Nameless Sound & HoustonSoReal, co-sponsored by Project Row Houses)

Founded by internationally renowned percussionist and composer Dr. Kahil El'Zabar, in 1973, Ethnic Heritage Ensemble is criss crossing the United States throughout the month of February on their "A Time for Healing" tour. Their live show is like nothing you’ve experienced before. Ethnic Heritage Ensemble is a trio of jazz innovators who have influenced generations of musicians from Chicago and around the world.

Kahil El Zabar has played alongside a myriad of jazz greats: Dizzy Gillespie, Cannonball Adderly, Pharoah Sanders, Archie Shepp to name but a few, and was also in the bands of Stevie Wonder, Donnie Hathaway, Nina Simone, and Paul Simon. Kahil has also recorded with Sonia Dada and Poi Dog Pondering and leads the jazz/house outfit, JUBA Collective.

Kahil joined Chicago's Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians in 1968, and by 1975 he was chairman of the organization, which led Time Magazine to write an article about his being the youngest administrator of a major arts organization in America.

Kahil scored the films Mo’ Money, Love Jones and How U Like Me Now, and did the musical arrangements for the stage performances of Disney’s “The Lion King."

(cont)

Ernest Khabeer Dawkins is one of Chicago's premier jazz saxophonists and is the founder and leader of his own group, New Horizons Ensemble.

Dawkins has worked with many music greats including: Ramsey Lewis, Muhal Richard Abrams, Lester Bowie, Edward Wilkerson, Jr., Henry Threadgill, Amina Claudine Myers, Anthony Braxton, Jack McDuff, Don Moye, Jerry Butler, and The Dells.

Corey Wilkes is a relative newcomer, but his accomplishments approach that of an already seasoned vet. He burst onto the Chicago jazz scene in 2002 and soon took on the ghost of Lester Bowie to fill the vacant trumpet seat in the The Art Ensemble of Chicago. No easy shoes to fill. Since then he’s shared the stage with Wynton Marsalis, Roy Hargrove, Ledisi, Soulive, James Moody, Meshell Ndegeocello, Mike Phillips, Roscoe Mitchell, Von Freeman, Fred Anderson, Will Calhoun, Malcom Jamal-Warner and so many more.

Corey’s soulful notes can be heard gracing a variety of projects such as DJ sets by Logic, Osunlade and Josh Deep; tracks on Hidden Beach’s Unwrapped Vol 4, as well as Kahil El Zabar’s Ascension Loft Series.

These shows are not to be missed.

Kahil El Zabar is available for interviews in advance.

Contact Matt Sonzala at austinsurreal@gmail.com or 713-261-5102

We hope to see you out.

www.austinsurreal.com

www.nameslesssound.org

www.projectrowhouses.org

www.properentertainment.com

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

James Spaulding!?!?!?!?!?!

That one stood out to me also, though I've seen him as a sideman a few times (always a pleasure). I'm not clear whether these concerts feature these artists with a pickup group, or bands that they bring in.

Shit, wish I could zip up to DFW on a Tuesday night for this. James is fun to see.

• 2 months later...

James Spaulding!?!?!?!?!?!

That one stood out to me also, though I've seen him as a sideman a few times (always a pleasure). I'm not clear whether these concerts feature these artists with a pickup group, or bands that they bring in.

Shit, wish I could zip up to DFW on a Tuesday night for this. James is fun to see.

Damn. This thing got zero publicity, I forgot to mark it on my calendar, and...I missed it, assuming that it actually happened...

Here is a link to 4 videos of my group posted onto Youtube. The performance was at the Dallas Museum of Art back in February. The recording was made and given to me courtesy of one of Dallas' biggest jazz fans and supporters Mr Shinji Otsu

http://www.youtube.com/user/56conn6h?feature=mhum#p/u/2/P7y64pcCQ7E

You'll see Mssr Sangrey as well as Lyles West (bass), David Zoller (piano), and Dennis Durick (drums). Of course that is me on trombone. Sorry the audio isn't better.

Feel free to comment (here or there!)

If this is posted in the wrong place since the event has passed, could a moderator move it to more appropriate thread site?

Thanks! Enjoy

Here is a link to 4 videos of my group posted onto Youtube. The performance was at the Dallas Museum of Art back in February. The recording was made and given to me courtesy of one of Dallas' biggest jazz fans and supporters Mr Shinji Otsu

http://www.youtube.com/user/56conn6h?feature=mhum#p/u/2/P7y64pcCQ7E

You'll see Mssr Sangrey as well as Lyles West (bass), David Zoller (piano), and Dennis Durick (drums). Of course that is me on trombone. Sorry the audio isn't better.

Feel free to comment (here or there!)

If this is posted in the wrong place since the event has passed, could a moderator move it to more appropriate thread site?

Thanks! Enjoy

Very nice, gentlemen!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like we are returning to Lakewood Bar and Grill (Dallas) You know we always look forward to it, because the hang is so good, plus the grill is terrific!

Please mark your calendars for Wednesday, April 20th. We originally had planned on playing the entire night, but as it turns out we are playing from 8 – 10 only. So be sure and make it out early!

http://www.lbgdallas.com/index.htm

The group:

Greg Waits - trombone

Jim Sangrey – tenor sax

Michael Palma – piano

Lyle West – bass

Dennis Durick

We hope to see you there!

Support live jazz!

Greg

www.gregwaitsmusic.com

We originally had planned on playing the entire night, but as it turns out we are playing from 8 – 10 only. So be sure and make it out early!

Well. I usually wait until the audience has a chance to get settled in, but if you say so, ok!

Well, the news just gets better and better. I went to the club to sort out things yesterday. I was informed that "since it is so hard to draw a crowd for a jazz group" we would be given a mere hour to play.

Odd, since when we last played there, the crowd was great, and the club mgmnt couldn't wait to get us booked for another date.

The booking manager went on to somehow justify such bs by saying that "we need to pay the sound man" Duhhhh.

No respect I tell you. And none for the kind folks who were coming out to see us. I have heard from several folks who said that they intended to come by, but not to hear us play just one set.

It takes each of the band members between a half hour to an hour to get to the club, another 20 minutes or so to get set up - and that is optimistic - and then we play for an hour only?

I respectfully declined. We will be back....somewhere!

So as to make it official, we are not playing at Lakewood B&G wednesday. Sorry Al!

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lakewood B&G Dallas gets one more chance.

JUNE 7th, tuesday night / 8 pm - 12 depending upon turnout

My Quintet:

Greg Waits - trb/guitar

Jim Sangrey (yeah, that Sangrey)

Michael Palma - piano

Lyles West - bass

Andrew Griffith - drums

$5 cover ;/ GREAT grill and decent beer selection. Friendly barkeeps.

Come on by, listen, hang out and visit.

http://www.lbgdallas.com/location.htm

www.gregwaitsmusic.com

on youtube "greg waits quintet"

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• 4 weeks later...

Lakewood B&G Dallas gets one more chance.

JUNE 7th, tuesday night / 8 pm - 12 depending upon turnout

My Quintet:

Greg Waits - trb/guitar

Jim Sangrey (yeah, that Sangrey)

Michael Palma - piano

Lyles West - bass

Andrew Griffith - drums

$5 cover ;/ GREAT grill and decent beer selection. Friendly barkeeps.

Come on by, listen, hang out and visit.

http://www.lbgdallas.com/location.htm

www.gregwaitsmusic.com

on youtube "greg waits quintet"

Is this still on tonight?

• 1 month later...