Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Louis Moholo with Dennis Gonzalez--February 12, Phoenix Project, 406 South Haskell

Al Dimeola--February 11--Granada Theater

Mick Taylor--May 19, Granada Theater

Guitar Shorty--March 12, Pearl at Commerce

Gilberto Gil--March 28, Nokia Theater, Grand Prairie

Pat Metheny--April 13, Nokia Theater

Jeff Beck--April 25, Nokia Theater

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

November 13, 2010: Buika and Lila Downs--AT&T Performing Arts Center.

March 26, 2011: San Francisco Jazz Collective Plays the Music of Stevie Wonder--AT&T Performing Arts Center.

Also, SF Jazz Collecitive on March 24 at Bass Hall in Austin.

Avishai Cohen, trumpet

Matt Penman, bass

Robin Eubanks, trombone

Edward Simon, piano

Eric Harland, drums

Mark Turner, tenor saxophone

Stefon Harris, vibraphone

Miguel Zenón, alto saxophone

November 13, 2010: Buika and Lila Downs--AT&T Performing Arts Center.

March 26, 2011: San Francisco Jazz Collective Plays the Music of Stevie Wonder--AT&T Performing Arts Center.

Also, SF Jazz Collecitive on March 24 at Bass Hall in Austin.

Avishai Cohen, trumpet

Matt Penman, bass

Robin Eubanks, trombone

Edward Simon, piano

Eric Harland, drums

Mark Turner, tenor saxophone

Stefon Harris, vibraphone

Miguel Zenón, alto saxophone

Interesting change of direction for the SF Jazz group. This is the first time they've paid tribute to a non-jazz artist, isn't it?

edit - fewer "big" names in the lineup now too. Still not a bad group of musicians there!

Edited by Aggie87

There's some good tunes there, not all of them hits, potentially fertile ground for fertile minds. Could go either way.

Also worth considering - anytime any jazz "group" does a "tribute" to Gershwin, Rogers, Kern, Porter, etc., they've paid tribute to a non-jazz artist. No biggie, but I'm thinking that for that lineup, some Stevie Wonder is more relevant (or at least as relevant) to their creative mechanisms as is, say, Cole Porter.

Could go either way.

(p.s. - to have gigs already booked in 2011...waht a pleasure that must be!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I set up this gig for NYC guitarist Amanda Monaco here in Austin at Space 12 (3121 E. 12th St.) for July 24. I hope some of you can attend.

New York-based guitarist and improvising composer Amanda Monaco will be joined by the following musicians for this rare Austin performance:

Carl Smith, tenor saxophone (Austin, TX)

Brad Taylor, bass (TX)

Ernie Durawa, drums (TX)

The quartet will perform one lengthy set of original compositions. This performance is BYOB, though snacks will be provided. A sliding scale admission of $5-$10 is suggested.

..:..

Bio:

Since moving to New York City, Amanda Monaco has performed with a variety of musical groups, from jazz chamber ensembles and big bands to regular appearances with her own groups at such venues as Birdland, Joe's Pub, and The Blue Note, to name a few.

Amanda's current projects includes her quartet, a jazz and improvisational music ensemble that combines free-bop sensibilities with through-composed pieces equal parts textural, adventurous, and whimsical. With alto/baritone saxophonist Michaël Attias, bassist Sean Conly, and drummer Satoshi Takeishi, this quartet performs a mix of Amanda's original compositions and modern twists on classic and obscure jazz repertoire. Their debut CD, I Think I'll Keep You, was released in Japan in early 2009 by LateSet Records and will be released worldwide on October 20, 2009.

Amanda also co-leads the quintet "Playdate" with old friends Noah Baerman (piano) and Wayne Escoffery (tenor saxophone) and new friends Henry Lugo (bass) and Vinnie Sperrazza. They can be seen performing around New York City and their debut recording will be released on Posi-Tone Records in late 2009.

Amanda is also a resident musician at Congregation B'nai Jeshurun in New York City, and appears on both of their recordings, Halailah Hazeh: The music of Pesah and Teki Yah: The High Holy Days. She is currently working on a suite of music using text from the Pirke Avot, a collection of rabbinical teachings compiled in the third century C.E., sung in Hebrew and Aramaic by Israel vocalist Ayelet Rose Gottlieb and accompanied by Monaco on electric guitar, with Daphna Mor on recorders and nay, Sean Conly on bass, and Satoshi Takeishi on percussion.

An educator since 1990, Amanda has served on the faculty of New School University, and presently teaches at the National Guitar Workshop, on the innovative web site WorkshopLive, and at Berklee College of Music. Her book, Jazz Guitar for the Absolute Beginner (Alfred Publishing), is available worldwide.

Amanda received her M.A.from The City College of New York in 2008. In her undergraduate years, Amanda studied with Ted Dunbar, Kenny Barron, Rufus Reid and Harold Mabern. She received her B.Mus from William Paterson University.

This is a little late, but I want to post that my new project is playing at Lakewood Bar & Grill tomorrow (sunday, July 18) from 2 - 5 pm.

The Greg Waits Little Big Band

http://www.lbgdallas.com/calendar.htm

Greg Waits - tbn

Andy Wrightg - alto

Jim Sangrey - tenor (yes, that Jim Sangrey)

Ken Edwards - trpt/flgl

Dave Zoller - piano

Russ Rand - bass

Bill Reardon - drums

Plus Miss Sandra Kaye vocals

$5 cover. The place has a great grill. Excellent burgers and a very cordial clientele! Come on out!

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Well, I did ride up and catch this cool gig. It was a hot ride up, but I was really surprised that due to a bit of a rain front that had passed through the ride home was a good thirteen or fourteen degrees cooler, a welcome surprise.

Everyone sounded good. Greg and Jim both gave some very interesting solos, and their contributions to "Creole Love Call" and "Hhumba with a Veiw" really stand out in my memory. It was so good to see Jim again and to meet Greg. I really enjoyed the conversations Jim and I had in between sets, it had been six or seven years I think since we last talked.

Also on hand was singer Sandra Kaye whose delivery and voice were sweet indeed. The band swung in a special way when she was on stage, or so it seemed to me.

I hope there's more, I know Greg will keep us posted if there are, and if anyone is in the area they should go to the very next one.

'Twas indeed a pleasure to be able to meet, greet, and beat the heat with the Young Mister Armstrong, who surprised the holy shit out of me by biking up to DFW in this godawful miserable heat (glad to hear there was relief on the way back!). Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself, Lon, because as I told you there, I know you're not one to put up with just any old triflin'-ass bullshit!

I didn't realize it had been that long since we last hooked up...seemed like the conversation took off like it had just ended a few hours ago...gotta love it when that happens, for real.

Memo to motorcyclists in search of a kick (start) - y'all come on up/down/over to the next gig!