Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

Man, I am SO bummed I missed it! I hope there's a next time. :(

I'm sure there will be at some point. I'm not hustling for it (nor did I for this one), but things happen on their own it seems, just not rapidly, which right now is ok by me.

OTOH -

DID YOU SEE THE NEWS ABOUT THE FREE RED HOLLOWAY GIG?

CARPE DIEM!!!

You bet! In fact, I was at the downtown Ft. Worth library where I saw the fliers! I'm gonna carpe the shit outta that diem! :g

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably not cool to keep plugging my own gig on this thread, but Jimmie Vaughan's playing with me again this weekend May 1 & 2 at The Continental Gallery. Here's my myspace page, so I won't post up anymore on this thread. You can just check the schedule. Thanks.... http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=377320315

Yeah, keep plugging and one of these weekends I'm going to be free!

Sonny Rollins was great. We even got to hear the unamplified sound of Sonny's horn at the beginning of the show. . . his mike was not working or not turned on or something. Sure didn't expect that bonus, the sound of Sonny's horn unamplified, in the air. Wonderful!

He was in a great bouyant mood and the whole show just bounced. Bobby Broom was excellent. "Don't Stop the Carnival" never sounded so good to me.

And then . . . for an encore. . . Sonny came out and sang the blues. He . . . sang the blues. I still don't really believe it. But he did, oh yes he did.

Sonny Rollins was great. We even got to hear the unamplified sound of Sonny's horn at the beginning of the show. . . his mike was not working or not turned on or something. Sure didn't expect that bonus, the sound of Sonny's horn unamplified, in the air. Wonderful!

He was in a great bouyant mood and the whole show just bounced. Bobby Broom was excellent. "Don't Stop the Carnival" never sounded so good to me.

And then . . . for an encore. . . Sonny came out and sang the blues. He . . . sang the blues. I still don't really believe it. But he did, oh yes he did.

I was there too Lon.... Sonny SANG the blues... like you, I couldn't BELIEVE it!!!! Does he DO that? He was so unbelievable. That first song when his mic was off...his sound still filled Bass Concert Hall unamplified...wow. He sounded to me on that first tune like a bull elephant charging through the jungle, I literally got that visual in my head while he was playing. Amazing is an overused term, but, he was...amazing. I took my mother who knows nothing about jazz, and she said it was one of the greatest shows she's ever seen in her life, she was blown away. Standing ovations by the third tune. Sonny KILLED that place. I can't believe I actually got to see Sonny Rollins. I can't believe that.

Glad you were there Mike! Dave Laczko and I almost made it to see your group Saturday night.

I have never heard of Sonny singing the blues before. . . I feel we had a special treat. Like you I was happy to see Sonny, and see him with this great group, which had a bouyant groove that is very different from a lot of what I have heard from Sonny. I'm so glad we got to see this; it had to be an exceptional night.

By the way, Sonny said that the last time he was in Austin was at the Armadillo. . .but that's not true, he was here in the nineties.

By the way, Sonny said that the last time he was in Austin was at the Armadillo. . .but that's not true, he was here in the nineties.

If I remember correctly, Sonny Rollins performed in Austin in November 1992, at the same place he was at last night. I missed the 1992 show, but I did see last night's concert - great show!.

If I remember correctly, Sonny Rollins performed in Austin in November 1992, at the same place he was at last night. I missed the 1992 show, but I did see last night's concert - great show!.

He last played in Dallas/Fort Worth at the Caravan of Dreams on November 6, 1992.

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...

For those who don't already know, KLRU will broadcast an interview with Sonny Rollins on May 21, 2009.

http://klru.org/texasmonthlytalks/archive/rollins.php

The following is from the Sonny Rollins website: "If you live in Texas, check out Sonny's interview on PBS outlet KLRU's Texas Monthly Talks on May 21st. After the program is broadcast, the interview will be streamed here on Sonny's website."

http://www.sonnyrollins.com/index.php

Humanization 4tet begins its US Tour this weekend

here in Texas. The group won best Portuguese CD

honors in the biggest Portuguese jazz magazine, JazzPT,

for their self-titled 2008 Clean Feed Records release.

Please show up and support this group and its efforts!

Luis Lopes - guitar / Rodrigo Amado - tenor sax

Aaron Gonzalez - bass / Stefan Gonzalez - drums

Friday, May 22 - Firehouse Gallery - Ft. Worth

4147 Meadowbrook Dr. - 76103 - 8 pm - $5

Saturday, May 23 - Sandaga Market - Dallas

1325 E. Levee St. - 75207 - 9 pm - $10

Sunday, May 24 - Salvage Vanguard - Austin

2803 Manor Rd. - 8 pm

Monday, May 25 - Avant Garden - Houston

411 Westheimer - 8 pm

Here's a little more info about the Humanization 4tet, from Austin's COTFG:

Good day, this is an announcement for the upcoming performance of the Luis Lopez Humanization 4Tet

+Sunday, May 24, 2009+

Humanization 4Tet @ Salvage Vanguard Theater, 5.24.2009

The Humanization 4Tet, a stellar outfit consisting of Portuguese guitarist Luis Lopez,

tenor man Rodrigo Amado, Aaron Gonzalez on bass and Stefan Gonzalez on drums,

It's at the Salvage Vanguard Theater, on Sunday, May 24th.

...It's a Church of the Friendly Ghost event...

Doors at 8PM as usual, performance at 8:30.

No opener. 2 sets. Sliding scale admission, (Pay what you will, $5 minimum)

check these links for information, excitement, and sound samples. please do not miss this special concert!

http://www.myspace.com/humanization4tet

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=29674

http://www.last.fm/music/Luis+Lopes/Humanization+4Tet

http://www.bagatellen.com/?p=1899

http://openearsmusic.org/?p=217

questions? contact aaron mace @ 512 786 2015 or churchofthefriendlyghost@gmail.com

Church of the Friendly Ghost is a growing community organization dedicated to the proliferation of creative musics, future-minded expressions, experiments in sound, and cutting edge jazz.While we place an emphasis on home-grown music (Austin, Texas) we also connect the local audience with new performers and composers and serve as a hub for the creative music community in Austin.

Church of the Friendly Ghost serves as a laboratory for creative musicians outside the the limits of institution and industry, as well as a gathering place for the culturally adventurous in Austin, accessible as a social, practical, and artistic network.

By providing an alternative to traditional bars and venues, a logistical and promotional network, and serving as a forum for artistic discourse, C.O.T.F.G. nurtures and enable a more diverse range of creative musics, and curates an ongoing series of exciting and thought-provoking musical performances that take place at Salvage Vanguard Theater.

These performances accessible to the public, inclusive to the community as a whole, and always offered at an affordable admission.

Church Of The Friendly Ghost seeks to raise the profile of creative music in Austin and Texas worldwide.

We at Church of the Friendly Ghost believe that Art is a right and a public resource. Thanks for your support and interest!

We are a 100% volunteer-run community organization with support from Salvage Vanguard Theater and the Cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin.

Have you been to House of Blues? The majority of the tickets are standing only, and the sound is overloud and generally bad. After attending a couple of concerts there, there are very few exceptions that would get me to go back (the Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins and Ornette Coleman exceptions, which are certainly long shots).

Have you been to House of Blues? The majority of the tickets are standing only, and the sound is overloud and generally bad. After attending a couple of concerts there, there are very few exceptions that would get me to go back (the Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins and Ornette Coleman exceptions, which are certainly long shots).

Yeah, I've heard that, not to mention the fact that their ticket prices are usually outrageous. But, since the Gypsy Tea Room is gone (and since SY only seems to play small venues when they're here); since I've never seen SY live and have wanted to the last few years; and since I've been kicking myself for not going to see them the last two times they were here, I figure I'll take my chances. (Not to mention the fact that I've got no one in my immediate circle who wants to see them, much less knows who they are)

• 1 month later...

Greg Waits (aka Slide Advantage Redoux) is playing at Sandaga's tomorrow night (Wednesday the 15th). I think they go on around 8 or so. It's Greg on trombone, backed by piano, guitar, bass, and drums. I saw them last month and they swung something sweet, despite that I made up 50% of the audience (my next-door neighbor was the other half).

Y'all come see him. I hope to be there (if I can't find anyone to go see Sonic Youth with me :g).

Greg Waits (aka Slide Advantage Redoux) is playing at Sandaga's tomorrow night (Wednesday the 15th). I think they go on around 8 or so. It's Greg on trombone, backed by piano, guitar, bass, and drums. I saw them last month and they swung something sweet, despite that I made up 50% of the audience (my next-door neighbor was the other half).

Y'all come see him. I hope to be there (if I can't find anyone to go see Sonic Youth with me :g).

That club doesn't appear to get any publicity at all. Even their website does not list upcoming concerts. I left my email address to receive updates, but none have ever arrived. Plus the location is completely isolated in a warehouse district. A little bit of marketing/business sense would be a good idea.

Man, tough choice!

I got a free ticket to Tortoise here on Wednesday. I haven't liked much they've done since the first record, but it will still be enjoyable. They've got talent, even if it sometimes gets lost in the noodling.