• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appears to be three novels y'all:

Light in August

As I Lay Dying

The Sound and the Fury

Good stuff. . . .

Source page:  http://www2.oprah.com/obc_classic/featbook...asof_main.jhtml

Sound and the Fury is some heavy going. That's a Faulkner they ought not assign to 19-year-olds.

--eric

It's a tough read for young people, but I assigned it to my Thai students in "Modern American Novel" at Chulalongkorn University in Thailand. Those students didn't grow up with English, and I read the novel out loud in class word-by-word.

This was a long time ago, and I cannot remember how much of the writing they understood. I sure dug it!

:g

Edited by connoisseur series500

Futher down here in South Texas, I hear "all y'all" quite often. Tangentially related seems to be "who and who". A number of my friends (curiously more the hispanic ones than "anglo") use that.

"I went to a party last night."

"Oh? Who and who was there?"

Meaning, tell me everyone's names...all y'all who were at the party! :P

edit - actually, it sounds like "who'n'who"....LOL

Edited by Aggie87

Yes it would be fine to have Clem back, but there's a whole lot of narcissistic bs maintaining this thread. :bad:

Kind of like pointing out the board's use of the world wide web, isn't it?

He who is free of narcissism, cast the first stone, and it should be cast through your computer monitor screen.

--eric

from wiki:

Narcissism is the pattern of traits and behaviors which involve infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one's gratification, dominance and ambition. In everyday use outside the field of psychology, the word generally refers to people who just are inordinately fond of themselves, without the pathological connotations.

--eric