Ode to the Hep label

ghost of miles

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the 'They All Had Rhythm' disc recently. Great stuff. About half the songs are by Benny Carter and his orchestra. Not sure why the online store I got it from had it on sale already.

That disc has been out before, hasn't it? I mean, I have it! Unless it's another volume.

Interested in the McCall (I've been enjoying her on the new Herman Mosaic) & Thornhill, and will also be interested in the Shaw if there's not too much overlap w/material that I already have.

Two more recent/new Hep re-issues:

Teddy Wilson - Volume 3: Of Thee I Swing (Hep 1020) Aug 3

— collection of small groups sessions from the mid-1930s New York scene; led by Benny Morton, Buster Bailey, Taft Jordan, Freddy Jenkins, Ace Harris and The Delta Four

Various Artists - Sounds of Harlem, Vol. 1 (Hep 1065) Aug 3

— collection of small groups sessions from the mid-1930s New York scene; led by Benny Morton, Buster Bailey, Taft Jordan, Freddy Jenkins, Ace Harris and The Delta Four

Autumn is such a sad time for the wallets of jazz fans... :(:excited:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Yep--I ordered that one plus the new Don Redman V. 2 and the new Sounds of Harlem V. 2 several days ago. There's also a new Thornhill out--1946-47 V. 2. Probably the last volume of Thornhill that Hep will put out (don't miss the 1949-53 one if you're a fan--some great stuff from a period of Claude's that most listeners won't be familiar with).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More new ones from Hep:

NEW The Paul Whiteman Swing Wing & The Modernaires - Hooray for Spinach! (Hep Jazz 1077) Jan 10

— Jack Teagarden, Charlie Teagarden, Miff Mole, Paul Whiteman, The Modernaires (vocals)

NEW Various Artists - New York Jazz Combos 1935/37 (Hep Jazz 1077) Jan 10

— 25 tracks by Gene Gifford, Adrian Rollini, Gene Krupa, The Six Blue Chips, Louis Garcia and his Swing Band

— soloists include Bunny Berigan, Bud Freeman, Wingy Manone, Joe Marsala, Adrian Rollini and Benny Goodman

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A Hep I've been enjoying this Thanksgiving Eve:

soundsofharlem1.jpg

Pretty sure the only session on here that I already had was the Delta 4. The Jenkins/Bernard Addison sides (with Joe Turner on piano) are particularly good--make me want to hear more of Addison's guitar work. Teddy Wilson is the pianist on the Taft Jordan date (just got Jordan's Fantasy twofer not long ago & didn't realize he'd done leader sessions in the 1930s). Anybody who likes 1930s small-group hot jazz would be pleased with this comp... looking forward to cracking open V. 2, which covers the early 1940s, tomorrow (Pete Brown, yeah!).

Only two Delta Four sides--"Swingin' On That Famous Door" and "Farewell Blues." They're also on a Decca/GRP comp called 52nd Street Swing that I bought years ago when I was first working in a record store. Here's the track listing from AMG:

1 Get Goin' Morton, Benny & His ... 3:14

Performed by: Morton, Benny & His Orchestra

2 Get Goin' Morton, Benny & His ... 3:15

Performed by: Morton, Benny & His Orchestra

3 Fare-Thee-Well to Harlem Morten, Benny Orchestra 3:05

4 Tailor Made Morten, Benny Orchestra 3:12

5 The Gold Digger's Song (We're in the Money) Morten, Benny Orchestra 3:10

6 Call of the Delta Bailey, Buster & Hi ... 3:09

Performed by: Bailey, Buster & His Chocolate...

7 Call of the Delta Bailey, Buster & Hi ... 3:03

8 Shanghai Shuffle Bailey, Buster & Hi ... 2:47

9 Night Wind Jordan, Taft & The Mob 2:40

10 If the Moon Turns Green Jordan, Taft & The Mob 2:45

11 Devil in the Moon Jordan, Taft & The Mob 2:55

12 Louisiana Fairy Tale Jordan, Taft & The Mob 2:56

13 Swinging 'Em Down Jenkins. Freddy Harlem Seven 2:49

Performed by: Jenkins. Freddy Harlem Seven,

14 Old Fashioned Love Jenkins. Freddy Harlem Seven 2:49

15 Nothin' But Rhythm Jenkins. Freddy Harlem Seven 2:53

16 I Can't Dance (I Got Ants in My Pants) Jenkins. Freddy Harlem Seven 2:52

17 Toledo Shuffle Jenkins. Freddy Harlem Seven 2:43

18 Lovely Liza Lee Jenkins. Freddy Harlem Seven 2:54

19 Swingin' on That Famous Door Delta Four 3:00

20 Farewell Blues Delta Four 3:03

21 Who? Harris, Ace & His S ... 2:33

Performed by: Harris, Ace & His Sunset Royals

22 Rhythm 'Bout Town Harris, Ace & His S ... 2:29

23 Hurly Burly Harris, Ace & His S ... 2:45

24 One Little Word Led to Another Harris, Ace & His S ... 2:29

Going to listen to V. 2 tonight.

• 1 year later...

I've been listening to some sound samples by the Casa Loma Orchestra, and will probably pick up a disc of theirs. Right now I'm leaning toward Boneyard Shuffle, but was wondering if any Hep fans here had other faves.

Also — has anyone here heard The New Friends of Rhythm? The (one) review on Amazon has piqued my interest.

• 5 months later...

I've been listening to some sound samples by the Casa Loma Orchestra, and will probably pick up a disc of theirs. Right now I'm leaning toward Boneyard Shuffle, but was wondering if any Hep fans here had other faves.

Also — has anyone here heard The New Friends of Rhythm? The (one) review on Amazon has piqued my interest.

Ironic--I went looking for this thread just to see if there was any mention of that very release. It arrived several days ago and I'm listening to it now--so far, liking it much better than many other "jazzing the classics" pieces from this period. The arrangements sometimes sound as if they're going to get cloying and then don't...lightly swinging in the best sense.

BTW, Basie/Lester fans should definitely check out the Hep JUBILEE ALTERNATIVES disc. Nice studio snapshots of Prez with the 1943/44 band...he's on about half the tracks.

Edited by ghost of miles

Interesting ... Always on the lookout for new discoveries/obscurities of 30s/40s jazz, I checked out the New Friends of Rhythm too but found the sound sample accessible on the Hep site rather gimmicky and uninteresting so I passed it up. Not that I would have expected they'd be able to hold a candle to the "jazzing the classics" material in the John Kirby book but I even liked the LP by that (pseudonym?) Arnold Johnson band (1937) on the Circle lable better.

@Ghost of Miles: Was I that wrong? What other "Jazzing the classics" recordings did you find inferior to those New Friends?

Thanks for any comments you may have.