I just donated a whole bunch of cds and dvds to our local library.

Dmitry

Parkertown, I am VERY anal about records and cds in my collection, but once I left the donated discs on that library counter they ceased to be mine. As long as someone gets some enjoyment out of them, that's all that matters. If nothing changes, I plan to continue doing it on a yearly basis.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we moved from MA to IL in 1975 I called the local library (Winchester, MA) and said I had some lps and they sounded grateful. When I showed up with around 1500 lps, the folks seemed annoyed. :huh:

Did not deduct anything - not sure if I was stupid or...................

Getting out of town was reward enough.

What's wrong with Winchester?

I stopped donating to my local library. It seemed like every Jazz CD I'd donate to them would end up on the "For Sale" rack in the front of the place. So I donate them a CD and they sell it for a quarter... what's the point of that? Instead, if I don't trade it in, I give it to someone who's interested in Jazz. I figure that way I have a better chance of creating another fan.

Dmitry, go back in a month and see how many of these CDs and DVDs wind up on their shelves. You may be saddened at the result.

Depends on the library Kevin, but I agree in part with what you said. Around DC there are some great county libraries with jazz cd that are jaw dropping (ECMs, complete Mercury Vaughn/Washington, complete Miles boxes, etc.), and there are just as many who are just happy to have a few pop anc classical cds, because they don't want to be bothered with dealing with cds.

I don't know if this is true of all libraries, but I've worked in several and I can tell you that in no case did we ever add donations to the collection. Donations were always sent to the bookfair, which is usually held once or twice a week. I can tell you that many patrons who were donating books, records, magazines, cds, dvds and videotapes were very insulted when they learned that their donation was bascially going to be sold for a buck over the next several weekends. When people give to the library, they have the idea that they are contributing to a collection, but libraries have their own ways of acquiring materials. I know that whenever anybody donated *good* records or books, the staff was given first crack at them. I have several LPs in my collection that were donated to the library.

Again, I'm not saying that this is what *your* library did, but it seems to be a pretty common practice in my experience.

Not to burst anybody's bubble...

I don't know if this is true of all libraries, but I've worked in several and I can tell you that in no case did we ever add donations to the collection. Donations were always sent to the bookfair, which is usually held once or twice a week. I can tell you that many patrons who were donating books, records, magazines, cds, dvds and videotapes were very insulted when they learned that their donation was bascially going to be sold for a buck over the next several weekends. When people give to the library, they have the idea that they are contributing to a collection, but libraries have their own ways of acquiring materials. I know that whenever anybody donated *good* records or books, the staff was given first crack at them. I have several LPs in my collection that were donated to the library.

Again, I'm not saying that this is what *your* library did, but it seems to be a pretty common practice in my experience.

Not to burst anybody's bubble...

At the library I work at some donations get to the collection but most are sold. I always try to make this clear to patrons so they won't feel mislead or disappointed. Most librarians are much more print oriented than music oriented but any reasonably sized library probably has someone knowledgable in charge of acquiring CDs etc. and contacting them could help your stuff into the collection. At Multnomah County we employees definately do not get first pick, we have to go to the annual sale just like any body else, I would think that skimming the good stuff for yourself would be at work rules violation at almost any poblic institution. And yes, library use is very hard on materials of all sorts...

Edited by danasgoodstuff

I know that whenever anybody donated *good* records or books, the staff was given first crack at them. I have several LPs in my collection that were donated to the library.

Wow! That's awful!

I have no problem with donated items being resold, but I think that the staff "getting first crack" at the donated items is ethically wrong and just plain lame. I will now plan on more carefully researching the situation before I donate anything of value in the future.

I'm certainly not criticizing you, Alexander, just the policy of the library allowing staff to do that. It's one thing for employees in a used record store to do that, but a donation intended for the public is another matter IMHO.

I know that whenever anybody donated *good* records or books, the staff was given first crack at them. I have several LPs in my collection that were donated to the library.

Wow! That's awful!

I have no problem with donated items being resold, but I think that the staff "getting first crack" at the donated items is ethically wrong and just plain lame. I will now plan on more carefully researching the situation before I donate anything of value in the future.

I'm certainly not criticizing you, Alexander, just the policy of the library allowing staff to do that. It's one thing for employees in a used record store to do that, but a donation intended for the public is another matter IMHO.

It depends a lot on the policies. If the material is all to be sold (frankly a kind of sucky policy) and the library staff pay for it (unlear in this case, but was the case where I worked), then the net effect on the public is zero.

Depends on the library Kevin, but I agree in part with what you said. Around DC there are some great county libraries with jazz cd that are jaw dropping (ECMs, complete Mercury Vaughn/Washington, complete Miles boxes, etc.), and there are just as many who are just happy to have a few pop anc classical cds, because they don't want to be bothered with dealing with cds.

Which DC area libraries are good ones?

Wow! That's awful!

It depends a lot on the policies. If the material is all to be sold (frankly a kind of sucky policy) and the library staff pay for it (unlear in this case, but was the case where I worked), then the net effect on the public is zero.

Yeah, I realize that I was unclear in my wording. I meant that library employees were able to paw through the stuff and put aside anything they'd like to buy. All the LPs I got cost me about a buck a pop, if that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

If you are donating used CDs to a charity, any charitable contribution is based on the "fair market value" of what you are donating--that is, the value of used CDs, not new ones.

so what is "fair market value" for used CDs?

What would the local store pay you.

AND DATS DA TRUFE!

ourse, if you're pay

I thought they allow you to write off the retail price. I guess I was wrong. Oh, well. Still beats going to the Post Office. If I declare $8 per cd and $10 per dvd you think that's ripping off Uncle Sam?

Librarian said they will only sell whatever I brought in if it duplicates titles they already have. Guess they won't sell any of mine, cause she didn't know who Keith Jarrett was...she thought he was European. I told her that Sonny Simmons was early rap, but w/out explicit lyrics. :o

Anyway, if anyone is interested in any Jenna Jameson dvds, you're welcome to attend the Coventry Public Library Annual Charity Sale next November. I wonder how they got there... :huh:

It's doubtful, that you'll get audited.

But considering that some CDs can be purchased new for $5.99 from yourmusic and DVDs on the weekend sales from Best Buy/Circuit City for about $5. Your declared values seem alittle high. (probably double)

What's a "whole bunch?" Over 100 CDs?

If you're declaring over $1000 in donations to the library, you're likely to set-off a FLAG to the IRS. (higher chances of an audit) (since you didn't have an appraisal of the value of the CDs/DVDs) I thought any non-cash donation over $5000 needed an appraisal?

IRS Publication 561 explains (?) FMV

IRS 561

Edited by Tjazz

• 11 years later...

Another year is coming to an end, and I just wanted to resurrect this thread. Last year I donated about 10 wine boxes of classical LPs to the library, probably about 500-600 albums in total. What's the fair market value? Who the heck knows. Some could be sold for real money, but most are probably worth a buck. Since I'm not itemizing my donations, I just  have my accountant write off $500, for this and all the Salvation Army stuff we donate every year. Seems fair to me. If you go above $500, you must itemize, and fill out the IRS Form 8283, and to me it's just not worth the hassle. The form is for stuff with FMV of $501-$5,000. Obviously you need the paperwork to prove it, in case IRS takes interest.
Also, if you think your donations are worth more than $5000 FMV, you have to hire an appraiser.

Back to the LPs. Library put them up for sale in their annual drive. I think they were pricing them at $.50 a pop, but I 'm not sure. That was last year. Three weeks ago I went to this year's sale, and the records weren't there. Had they put them in a dumpster, or did someone buy the lot...it's a library mystery. All I know is that my basement has more standing room for other stuff to gather dust.