The Fifty Greatest Jazz Piano Players of All-Time

A better book would have been to name one's own top fifty and defend it, rather than hide behind a huge survey and state "The people have spoken."

The lack of published method makes it even worse. It reminds me of the "non scientific" polls that CNN runs. It is a classic paradox. The presentation of the poll is intended to induce the belief that the poll is meaningful; but the poll is explicitly disclaimed and the lack of controls and adherence to scientific methods entails that the poll is meaningless. If you want to know how much ignorance is expected of the viewer/reader, that is a measure of it. The same is true here.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a list. No mention of a number of pianists that most readers here have recordings of, e.g., Sonny Clark, Walter Davis Jr., Herbie Nichols, Dodo Marmarosa, Freddie Redd, Randy Weston, Mulgrew Miller, Barry Harris. We can all add more I'm sure, especially when some of our collections feature piano led dates by Brad Mehldau, George Cables, John Hicks, Don Pullen, etc.

Jazz journalist Gene Rizzo surveyed the top jazz minds in the worlds of education, publishing and entertainment to rank the 50 greatest jazz piano players of all time. Those surveyed ranked players spanning an 80-year period on skill, originality, creativity and influence. Rizzo collected these results, along with historical photographs of the featured pianists, in the appropriately named volume “The 50 Greatest Jazz Piano Players of All Time.”

NPR Broadcast

Just a few of the rankings

1. Oscar Peterson

2. Bill Evans

3. Bud Powell

4. Art Tatum

7. Andre Previn

10. Red Garland

15. Thelonious Monk

No Andrew Hill :mellow::huh::o

Andre Previn????????????

AT NUMBER SEVEN, YET?????? Whaaaaaa???? :o

A better book would have been to name one's own top fifty and defend it, rather than hide behind a huge survey and state "The people have spoken."

The lack of published method makes it even worse. It reminds me of the "non scientific" polls that CNN runs. It is a classic paradox. The presentation of the poll is intended to induce the belief that the poll is meaningful; but the poll is explicitly disclaimed and the lack of controls and adherence to scientific methods entails that the poll is meaningless.

If you ask me, the non-inclusion of Sonny Clark and Herbie Nichols guarentees that the poll is meaningless.

I can't do a top fifty - there aren't fifty pianists I like. Here's thirty I like a lot, more or less in order.

LES MCCANN

JUNIOR MANCE

HAROLD MABERN

HERMAN FOSTER

JOHN WRIGHT

STAN HOPE

HORACE SILVER

BOBBY TIMMONS

RAY CHARLES

DUKE ELLINGTON

HAMPTON HAWES

WYNTON KELLY

CHARLES BROWN

PHINEAS NEWBORN

SONNY CLARK

HANK CRAWFORD

RAY BRYANT

AMOS MILBURN

PIANO RED

NORMAN SIMMONS

GENE RUSSELL

LLOYD GLENN

SONNY THOMPSON

ABDULLAH IBRAHIM

PROFESSOR LONGHAIR

NAT 'KING' COLE

VAN “PIANO MAN” WALLS

MCCOY TYNER

JOHN HICKS

THELONIOUS MONK

Plus

AHMAD JAMAL

I only heard Ahmad for the first time about ten days ago, when I bought a few of his CDs. I think he'll be in the list in a few months, though.

MG

Andrzej Kurylewicz, Andrzej Trzaszkowski, Krzystof Komeda, Iancsi Körössy,... ;)

Wow! Looks like an explosion at the Scrabble factory. :)

heheh. If you like a taste, I have uploaded a tune by Kurylewicz and Trzaszkowski each here. Some of their stuff is available again and I can only recommend the "Polish Jazz" series albums. This is some rare material from 10" LPs.

The lack of published method makes it even worse. It reminds me of the "non scientific" polls that CNN runs. It is a classic paradox. The presentation of the poll is intended to induce the belief that the poll is meaningful; but the poll is explicitly disclaimed and the lack of controls and adherence to scientific methods entails that the poll is meaningless. If you want to know how much ignorance is expected of the viewer/reader, that is a measure of it. The same is true here.

Anthony Braxton would no doubt call it an example of the Spectacle Diversion Syndrome, and he would no doubt be right.

Anthony Braxton would no doubt call it an example of the Spectacle Diversion Syndrome, and he would no doubt be right.

Spectacle Diversion Syndrome! Oh, I do like that! But it's from the viewpoint of the victim, by the looks of it. From the oposite viewpoint - ie the instigator's - it would be Spectacle Diversion Tactic.

MG

Listening to the NPR interview (the link provided in the first post in this thread), I was struck at how incredibly conservative the author was. Don't have exact quotes, but the author was clearly disappointed in the plethora of current jazz styles (and especially the supposed "attitudes" behind those styles) -- styles and attitudes that plain and simple, he just didn't like. And of course, because he didn't like them, they were clearly bad. (Or so seemed his subtext.)

I'm sure most of us here could assemble top-50 lists that would be infinitely more valuable than what this guy's supposed "process" came up with. My list would include lots of names whose music I don't personally have burning passion for -- as I'm sure most of your lists would too (in terms of your own interests). But if one makes even any attempt to be comprehensive (stylistically), then there are gonna be names and styles present that don't all float one's boat equally.

If the author did indeed poll "hundreds" of people with his questionnaire process -- then it was exclusively his friends, colleagues, and acquaintances -- all of whom were as musically conservative as he was. What an absolute waste of time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'd be willing to bet that Oscar Peterson would blanch at his placement on this list.

Even he would have to put Tatum first! (Actually, Tatum is not a top favorite of mine, although I do appreciate him, but every last pianist seems to revere him, so I bow to their wisdom...) And don't you think Previn would be embarrassed, too?

It's absurd to rank them, but if you're going to, at least put Nat King Cole in the top ten...

Not even Hines, Basie, Ellington, Teddy Wilson, or Jelly Roll Morton made this top ten. The mind boggles. But at least they made the list.

I wouldn't call it a conservative list -- I'd call it clueless.