Ebay craziness

BTW, this protection concerns Puccini's works. They are protected from the moment of creation until 70 years after the death of the author. It's the same in the US and Europe. Historically, the aim of the law was to allow two generations of the author's descendants to earn revenues from the works.

The difference between US and european law that is often discussed here concerns neighbouring rights. In the US, the protection of a recording ends 70 years after it has been made (no reference to the death of an artist). This has been extended a few years ago. In Europe it has remained 50 years.

So the Puccini estate had the right to prevent the release of the Belden CD in Europe too.

I asked around about this recording a while back... I think it was Tom Evered who told me that Puccini's estate has legal documents stating that one of Puccini's family members "finished" the opera... like added three notes or something. Therefore, the 70 year clock hasn't started yet. Is that screwed up or what?

The thing is, the estate gets zip this way. Why did they do it? Why not just ask for some money?

BTW, it is a great disc. It is a very nice interpretation of Turandot... it's not like they rapped to it.

Later,

Kevin

I see that the DeFranco-Clark Mosaic set sold for over $200.00 on ebay recently - over $50.00 per CD! Too rich for my blood.

I'd respectfully disagree. About 2 years ago I got this set and it was somewhat more than the above price and I've never regretted ever paying that price. It's worth every penny. One of the best Mosaics ever done. $200 is a very good price for this set.

Edited by Brad

Ah, if only I could go back 5-6 years ago. (I'm sure we all have stories of hard to find great music we passed up -- this would make for an interesting thread).

Talk about a steal - I saw this set for a "whopping" $80.00 about 5-6 years ago in a used CD shop and passed it up thinking it was too expensive. Unfortunately I was a student at the time and thought a used CD for more than $6.00 to $8.00 was too much. I'd be glad to trade in my degree for the Defranco Mosaic set-I'm sure I'd be happier. Thanks to Brad for the current market perspective; next time I see the Buddy DeFranco set on CD, I won't think twice about exchaging two Ben Franklins for one Buddy DeFranco Mosaic set.

Well, I'm not sure I can add any perspective on the market. I just think $200 is not that bad. It all depends on what can afford and where you are economically. Fortunately, when I got mine I could afford it. Today, I'd have to pass. Incidentally, I tried to do what you appear try to be doing: getting the individual cds that comprise the set. I love Sonny Clark and heard a couple of the songs from the set on the radio and said I have to get that. I found it next to impossible to do so and resigned myself to paying bucks for the set.

Another form of ebay craziness:

***eBay Power Outage***

Date: 08/20/03  Time: 11:14:24 PM PDT

At approximately 20:55 PDT, eBay experienced a power outage at their primary hosting facility. All site functions are currently unavailable. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, and we appreciate your patience. Regards, eBay

***eBay Power Outage: Resolved***

Date: 08/21/03  Time: 12:29:44 AM PDT

This evening, eBay experienced a power outage at our primary hosting facility. Due to this power failure, all site functions, including the Announcement Board, were unavailable from 20:55 until 23:45. eBay worked with its hosting vendor to restore the site as quickly as possible.

In accordance with eBay's outage policy, since viewing and bidding were unavailable for more than 2 hours, eBay will be crediting all listing fees and has extended all listings scheduled to end between 20:55 PDT, 20 Aug and 02:00 PDT, 21 Aug for 24 hours. We will also be crediting the .10 fee for 10-day auctions for all listings that were active at 20:55 PDT.

We thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,

eBay

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/announce.shtml

I'm the guy who got the De Franco Mosaic set for $200--actually $202.50. I've been looking for this one for several years, having passed on it back when it was available. For a long time, the prices for this on ebay being what they were, I'd pretty much given up on the idea of getting it. When it would show up for auction, it generally went for about $350-400, which was beyond my range, but I'd keep bidding on them within my limits. These days it does seem that the prices for OOP Mosaics aren't quite so inflated; they're becoming more affordable (well, relatively!!). Recently, I've seen De Franco sets sell for $265 and $255, which is well below the prices I used to see for this, so when I got mine for $200 it seemed pretty reasonable. Who knows, the prices for this may continue to drop, particularly since these recordings are beginning to see reissue by such cheapo companies as Past Perfect. How long will it be before Proper gives it the "Proper" treatment?

I wish he would have listed the M- pieces seperatly. I'd gladly pay $400 if they were all M-/VG++ , but a large percentage look trashed. He also lists covers as mint when they have owners name in large magic marker on back. I will PASS on this stuff.

Edited by wolff

I've dealt with this seller off and on for years. If he doesn't have the nicest stuff around, I don't know who does. If you ever want to hear what a truly mint BN sounds like, fork out the $$$$ to this guy. He gets top dollar, but you will not be disappointed.

I've seen catologs of his that sold for $100k total. We used to mail in our bids.

Prices are nuts, but it is very nice to pull out mint 40 year old LP's. Thick, glossy covers with beautiful photo/graphics and a thick, often times dead quite vinyl.

How much??

• 3 weeks later...