The easy way to support the organissimo forums...

Jim Alfredson

Which do you like better?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMPORTANT: I need a suggestion or referral for a web expert/programmer. I've had some requests to also do the Amazon affiliate program (which I've already signed up for, but most people wanted CDUniverse) and I just found out that yourmusic.com has a similair program.

What I would like to do is have another clickable menu in the search bar above that will let you choose between CD Universe, Amazon, and yourmusic... so people can search all three from the same bar. Does anyone know someone who can help me do this? It's a bit beyond my programming skillz.

Thanks!

I'm a PHP/web novice but it should work somehow like this:

1. Create list with seller items (this goes into your already existing CD-Universe form):

<?php

echo '<select name="selectSeller" width="50">';

echo '<option value="cdUniverse">CD Universe</option>;

echo '<option value="amazon">Amazon</option>;

echo '<option value="shopX">The Shop X</option>;

echo "</select>;

?>

2. At the top of your PHP script you need to check if a submit button has fired the submit event and if it was a submit button, you need to check if it was the one that takes you to those web shops (since you've got plenty of buttons on your page). Let's assume the name of the button is redirectToStore (<input type="submit" name="redirectToStore" value="Klick!">

<?php

//checks if the redirectToStore-button caused the request.

if ($_REQUEST['redirectToStore']) {

//redirect to website that corresponds with the user's store selection

if ($_REQUEST['selectSeller'] == "cdUniverse") {

header("Location: http://www.cduniverse.com");

} else if ($_REQUEST['selectSeller'] == "amazon") {

header("Location: http://www.cduniverse.com");

} else {

header("Location: http://www.shopx.com");

}

?>

Important: the "header" command thing only works when this is the very first thing that gets submitted to the browser in the server's response. If you do something like

echo "Yuk!";

header("Location: http://www.shopx.com");

it won't work.

Your CD-Universe form must refer to the same PHP page this form is in. Guess it's index.php in your case?

Example, he php file is index.php, the form should look something like that:

<form name="formCdStore" action="index.php" method="POST">

Sorry, this looks like a mess... no indentions and I've not much time right now so there could be mistakes. :crazy:

Good luck. :party:

P.S. PHP is case sensitive (which I'm sure you know).

Hmmm... not sure if that will work or not. The issue is to be able to search both. For instance, the current code for the CDUniverse search form looks like this:

<FORM action="http://www.cduniverse.com/asp/searchparse.asp?" target="blank" method="GET"><strong>Search CDUniverse:</strong>
<select name="HT_Search" size=1 style="font-family:verdana; font-size:11px">
<option selected value="Artist">Artist</option>
<option value="Title">Title</option>
<option value="Song">Song</option>
<option value="SoundTrack">Soundtrack</option>
<option value="Label">Label</option>
</select>
<input type="text" name="HT_Search_Info" size=15 style="font-family:verdana; font-size:11px">
<input type="image" name="GO" alt="GO" src="http://www.organissimo.org/forum/style_images/1/nav2.gif" border=0 value="Go Find It!">

<input type="hidden" name="frm" value="lk_organissimo"></form</div>[/code] And the code for Amazon.com looks like this:
[code]<form action="http://www.amazon.com/gp/associates/link-types/searchbox.html" method="get" name="search" target="_top">
<input type="hidden" name="tag" value="organissimoja-20" />
<input type="hidden" name="creative" value="374001" />
<input type="hidden" name="campaign" value="211041" />
<input type="hidden" name="adid" value="1VSMDF4TQQ7H8PAQ64FF">
<input type="hidden" name="mode" value="blended" />
<p>Search Amazon:</p>
<div style="position:relative; width:108px;">
<input id="keyword" name="keyword" type="text" size="8" />
<input id="button" type="image" value="Go" name="Submit" src="http://rcm-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/associates/build-links/ap-search-go-btn.gif" alt="[Go]" />
</div>
</form>

The questions is how to combine the two so that you can choose.

Ok, I've got someone working on the code, for a small fee. He won't have anything for me until Monday due to a busy schedule, but that gives us time to get other affiliate programs going.

So far, I've signed up for CD Universe and Amazon.com. Someone asked for Amazon.de and I have an email to Amazon to determine whether my associates ID will work for all the Amazon sites (like .de, .fr, .ca, etc.) or whether I have to set up separate accounts for all those (that would be a drag). EDIT: I have to sign up for all of them according to the email I just received from Amazon. I will do that.

I have an email out to CDConnection, asking whether they have an affiliate program or not.

Dusty Groove does not. Ditto for Mosaic. Any others you'd like to see (doesn't mean it'll happen).

Edited by Jim Alfredson

New poll added:

Please change your skin to "org test" and scroll to the bottom of any page. You should see an ad or ads from Google. Does that bother you? Please vote in the poll. It's another way to support the site and I tried to put it in a rather inconspicuous place, but I'm not a fan of ads, per se. These seem to be very low-key, however.

Be honest.

New poll added:

Please change your skin to "org test" and scroll to the bottom of any page. You should see an ad or ads from Google. Does that bother you? Please vote in the poll. It's another way to support the site and I tried to put it in a rather inconspicuous place, but I'm not a fan of ads, per se. These seem to be very low-key, however.

Be honest.

Jim,

When you've already voted in the earlier poll, you can't vote again in the added poll.

It's another way to support the site and I tried to put it in a rather inconspicuous place, but I'm not a fan of ads, per se. These seem to be very low-key, however.

No, it doesn't bother me at all, as I usually don't scroll to the bottom of a page when there is nothing there to read.

Does Google pay for just displaying the ads, or only for clicks on the ads? In the second case, you should put them where they are more visible. Lots of message boards do that. I must say though that I almost never click on ads, on any website.

Is Google Ads currently proposing context-related ads or is this just random content?

Bible & Bible Cover Sale

Bibles and Bible Covers on sale at least 65% off, ends Nov. 19th

A New World Order: Coming

USA & Papacy Behind it: Are you Ready for it? Learn Bible prophecy

Jesus Christ Loves You

Discover God's Love For You

Free Quickverse Bible CD

Bibles, Commentaries, Topical, Dictionaries free from nonprofit

This must be the music boy influence :g

It's another way to support the site and I tried to put it in a rather inconspicuous place, but I'm not a fan of ads, per se. These seem to be very low-key, however.

No, it doesn't bother me at all, as I usually don't scroll to the bottom of a page when there is nothing there to read.

Doesn't bother me either.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy I'm gonna get picky now -- and Jim, just tell me to shove off if you've had enough of my type... :P

That said, any chance the search function could default to CD Universe, instead of Amazon?? If I recall, there were quite a few more requests for CDU when the option was to add just one.

Happy to shut my trap about it too - just say the word. :ph34r:

Good question about the the O getting credit on book sales (through Amazon).

Another observation -- there appear to be three choices in the drop-down list for where to perform the search...

1) [blank]

2) CD Universe

3) Amazon.com

Although Amazon appears to be the default. (It's the 'blank' that I'm pointing out.)

Good question about the the O getting credit on book sales (through Amazon).

Another observation -- there appear to be three choices in the drop-down list for where to perform the search...

1) [blank]

2) CD Universe

3) Amazon.com

Although Amazon appears to be the default. (It's the 'blank' that I'm pointing out.)

Yes, this was a new script that the programmer sent that was supposed to make CDUniverse first, but it just added a blank space. I'm leaving it up so he can see it and hopefully debug it.

And yes, I think if you order books through Amazon, we still get credit, as long as you get Amazon from here (by using the search bar above). That doesn't mean you have to search books from here... it's as simple as typing something into the search box, hitting the little arrow, and then a new window pops open for Amazon.com. Once you're in that new window, any order you place for anything, we get a percentage.

Neat, eh?

Glad this was upped; I missed it before. I've just started as a CDU customer, because they seem to be cheapest on the scores of OJCs I need to get soon. So I'll be doing all my orders through you. Thanks.

Oh, and I don't care where it is, or what it looks like; I'm from the old school of '80s system analysts; Model T systems.

MG