Sets you wish Mosaic would do

Since Gryce recorded for so many labels (the Jazz Lab alone recorded for 5 different labels in 1957), it would be nigh on impossible to really collect everything. But I guess this thread isn't really about reality. Amazingly enough, the vast majority have made it to CD - here's a list, a bit outdated, perhaps.

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Gryce/ggcd.htm

RCA and Verve still hold a few crucial albums that need to see reissue, and like with everything, stuff goes in and out of print.

Mike

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The existence of the Selects will scupper the possibility of bringing out many Mosaics. The Selects may be 'affordable', but the selections are arbitrary and there is (obviously) no book. So the consequence of a John Patton Select is that there can now be no John Patton Mosaic and so it goes from there. The more Selects people purchase the fewer Mosaics we will see. I am sorry it is going this way - we should remember that the advantage of Mosaics is not in their sound quality (never the best) but in their editorial integrity. The Selects sacrifice this - its a pity.

What others have said, especially Akiyoshi/Tabackin. Other suggestions:

--Clarke-Boland, much of whose work is scattered all over the place and not readily available

--Cannonball's Capitol recordings-not all of them, just the cream (with nancy Wilson, etc)

--Tubby Hayes-it's about time Mosaic gave him some love

--Willie Smith (the altoist, not the "Lion")-unfortunately, not enough material. Listen to him on Jazz Scene and you know you have heard an immensely talented guy with an unique sound.

I have other wishes, but not for this board. No ,not those, Weizen...

Every time this subject comes up, about a third of the people talk about a Pullen/Adams set. I think people would buy it, and the rights should be easy enough to obtain from BN. Is there any roadblocks from the estates? Earth to Mosaic?

I would love to see the proposed BN 10" sessions. Again, the rights should be easy to clear, AND I would think it would sell like a mother.

I need to see the Giuffre and Tal Farlow Verve sets.

My suggestions would include the complete Braxton on Arista Freedom [or some logically themed distillation].

My second would be the Complete Eddie Costa recordings as a leader. How many albums and labels would that be? This would be a managable set, I would think. There was the record on Mode, The Guys and Dolls album on Coral, House of Blue Lights on Dot, the Verve split album from Newport Jazz fest, and the Savoy album. Am I missing anything?

I'd like to see:

'Complete Tony Williams Blue Note Leader Sessions'

'Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of the Jazz Crusaders' (studio, live, the works ... bring 'em on... )

'Complete Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet' (seeing as though their original LPs seem to be worth more than their weight in gold these days :o )

'Complete RCA Jazz Workshop Sessions'.

Plus all of the previous items listed of course ! :g:excited:

Edited by sidewinder

I'd like to see:

Interesting and wild...

How much of his BN leader output is unreleased? Spring is still around, and LifeTime is RVG'd and still in print.

Are you referring to his 1980s material for BN?

My second would be the Complete Eddie Costa recordings as a leader. How many albums and labels would that be? This would be a managable set, I would think. There was the record on Mode, The Guys and Dolls album on Coral, House of Blue Lights on Dot, the Verve split album from Newport Jazz fest, and the Savoy album. Am I missing anything?

Yes! This has got my vote, bigtime!! :tup:tup:tup

I'd like to see:

Interesting and wild...

How much of his BN leader output is unreleased? Spring is still around, and LifeTime is RVG'd and still in print.

Are you referring to his 1980s material for BN?

Yes - the sequence of 'Foreign Intrigue', 'Civilisation', 'Native Heart', 'Angel Street', 'Story of Neptune' and 'Tokyo Live'. I think it would make a mighty fine Mosaic set, possibly coupled also with the 'Spring' and 'Lifetime' sessions. Maybe a 'Complete BN 80s' set would work best though.

:rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

These wish lists always interest me. First because I have so many of my own "wishes"; and second, because so many of these dream sets have already been granted, but people still want them all neatly collected in some convenient way. For example, most, if not all, of Art Farmer's work on Prestige is available as individual CDs. (BTW, any Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson set would have to include the sides from the Atlantic release, "Plenty, Plenty Soul," .. a vastly underappreciated album.)

My own wish list:

1.Mike Fitzgerald would appreciate that there is still a great deal of Buddy DeFranco material from Verve that is worthy of several boxes..... and now that Verve also owns MGM, how about all those fugitive 78's Buddy did for them in the late 40s and early 50s ... with the Blakey/Drew quartet, and the very elusive big band sets?)

2. I would to have, once again, John Lewis's "Orchestra U.S.A." material? What a great "select" this would make.

3. .. a "guilty pleasure" .. the complete "Jazz Studio" series on Decca... with the "Jazz Lab" series thrown in to complete all of the John Graas sides ...

... there is just too much to list everything I would like to have on CD...

Garth,

Houston.

Good idea, David. I'm not sure exactly how many discs that would end up being, but if it would fall a bit short of 3 CDs for a Select, how about adding in Pomeroy's work with Charlie Mariano on Charlie's early Imperial date (which also included Jaki Byard) from circa 1950? That's a fine session for all concerned, with Mariano very much in his early, heavily Bird-influenced bop bag.

I'm probably repeating much that already has been said, but I haven't really had the time to read through all contributions. Hopefully everything won't be a repeat of what has been said better before.

Blue Note sets; I am a big fan of Mosaic & also have several of their complete Blue Notes; one question is how long that ore can be mined with (artistic) profit. Among the first Mosaics where Thelonious Monk, Sidney Bechet and Herbie Nichols; the latest was Lou Donaldson, a set which I have got, don't regret buying, in fact find very enjoyable, but not really on the same level as some earlier sets. Perhaps the stage will eventually be reached when performers are to uneven to justify the full Mosaic treatment. I suppose Mosaic Select can be regarded as the answer to this eventuality?

But looking at Mosaic sets I have enjoyed, I can admit a preference for compilations; this weekend I have been listening through the Master Jazz Solo Piano Sessions. 4 CDs with the same artist can in some cases be too much. The Capitol Sessions are another instance of a set of mostly execllent performances of amazing variety.

Becoming more definite. Why not a continuation of the Illinois Jacquett sessions by going over to the sessions recorded by him for Norman Granz, if not enough on their own, part of a set with a few other Verve artists,

or also from the Verve catalogue, the series of studio jamsessions; the most wellknown being that with Parker, Hodges, etc, but there must be more than that,

or a compilation of something from the 1930s, of performers (singers?) who only made a few sessions.

or, like everyone else, it seems, the complete Key Note Sessions. The Coleman Hawkins sessions are very good, it is perhas too much to believe that the rest is as good, but it would still be very listenable.