Sets you wish Mosaic would do

The Complete Recordings of Wardell Gray

Oh Yeah!! - would love that

Also what about a Gene Norman "Modern Music" set covering his live concerts from the mid-late 40's - that would include a lot of live Wardell

No one has attempted a decent retrospective except for sporadic dodgy "boot" releases

A good model for this would be the 3CD "Bopland" set that used the original source material

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you'd prefer not to have music available at all, rather than listen to 'trashed' versions. Have you never bought an LP that's been trashed but is playable? I've got lots :D

If it's PD I probably won't buy it, so to me it isn't available at all. I haven't bought vinyl for years.

But I did suggest tax breaks as a way of getting the material licensed. Can't see it happening, though!

Sounds like you'd prefer not to have music available at all, rather than listen to 'trashed' versions. Have you never bought an LP that's been trashed but is playable? I've got lots :D

If it's PD I probably won't buy it, so to me it isn't available at all. I haven't bought vinyl for years.

But I did suggest tax breaks as a way of getting the material licensed. Can't see it happening, though!

If you think it's great art, which is what you said earlier, I can't see why you wouldn't buy it - unless you have everything from before 1963 already :)

Subsidies to industry have been shown, throughout the western world, to be generally cost-ineffective (ie they don't alter firms' behaviour more than a tiny amount); subsidies delivered by tax breaks are generally 100% cost-ineffective.

MG

So you are pro public domain, all things considered?

Back to Mosaic, I've always wanted to see a set of all the Sony BMG-owned early jazz recordings that fell out of the scope of other sets (not just Mosaic). So, for example, all the Teddy Wilson sides without Billie; the Basie sides without Lester Young, etc. Also, aren't there sessions that couldn't be used in some sets because they were owned by Decca? ISTR Bix and Mildred Bailey were two of them. A set covering that sort of material would be good, if there's enough of it.

Well, having grown up trying to buy soul jazz in the sixties when you could hardly ever get any in Britain, then with tapes of the musics of Senegal, Guinea and Mali in the 90s (only released anywhere on tape), I'm pro buying stuff you want, no matter what the condition or how good the audio. And I ALWAYS buy the cheapest audio equipment I can, so I can buy more recordings. As I've learned more (here at Org) about earlier jazz, I've mainly gone for PD reissues of the big bands I like most, eg Tiny Bradshaw, Erskine Hawkins, Buddy Johnson, Lucky Millinder, Andy Kirk, Jimmy Lunceford (will be getting the Mosaic soon) and Cab Calloway. Apart from Lunceford, none of these seem prime candidates for release in any way other than PD. So, I guess the answer is yes :)

MG

Wouldn't t

Well, having grown up trying to buy soul jazz in the sixties when you could hardly ever get any in Britain, then with tapes of the musics of Senegal, Guinea and Mali in the 90s (only released anywhere on tape), I'm pro buying stuff you want, no matter what the condition or how good the audio.

Wouldn't the "world music" of Senegal, Guinea and Mali be outside the remit and mission of Mosaic? It would certainly open up a new frontier, and they have already done a Django box set.

Wouldn't t

Well, having grown up trying to buy soul jazz in the sixties when you could hardly ever get any in Britain, then with tapes of the musics of Senegal, Guinea and Mali in the 90s (only released anywhere on tape), I'm pro buying stuff you want, no matter what the condition or how good the audio.

Wouldn't the "world music" of Senegal, Guinea and Mali be outside the remit and mission of Mosaic? It would certainly open up a new frontier, and they have already done a Django box set.

I wasn't suggesting that. I was saying that the kinds of music I like, and the difficulty of getting hold of them at different times, had persuaded me that the correct strategy to pursue with purchases was to get what you wanted and could afford, whenever you could, and be hanged with the condition or fidelity. That led me inevitably to a position in which the poor quality of PD record releases was not something I worried about at all. Music that's not very popular or 'collectable' can't be produced in a top quality audio state, because that would lose money. Fine, I'll have it however I can.

MG

Starting from the beginning of this thread — now ten years ago — it's amazing how many suggestions actually came to fruition.

I'd like to hear more Sam Rivers on Mosaic. An Impulse box of some kind? Or a Complete Tuba Trio box set — the Circle Records stuff + any other tuba trio sessions.

On a semi-related note, I wish Audio Wave would reissue Rivers' Blue Note work on XRCD — "Contours" in particular. Will likely never happen though.

Would also love a Paul Bley trio box set of some kind. (Also likely never to happen.) And the home recordings of Jimmy Giuffre-Don Friedman-Gary Peacock! I've never even seen a boot of this trio. Maybe one doesn't exist. Now I'm just rambling.

... why ever not?

A licensing nightmare, I'd guess. Almost every trio record up until 1968 (I think) is on a different label. There's Debut/Concord, Mercury, Savoy, ECM, ESP, BYG, Fontana/Universal, and probably more that I missed. I've put together my own home collection, and even then I have to keep checking discographies to see if I've missed something.

Bill Evans seemed to get all the kudos in the early 60's, while Bley was making just as interesting music.

speaking of which ... since they did/do tread avant territory a bit more often: a Fontana set would be da shiznits!

Yes, a reissue of all the 1960's Fontana releases with the Marte Roling covers. Now, THAT would be something!

That's just what I had in mind!

But there must be a multitude of reasons why that stuff is so rare (rights back at the musicians' being one? which would make this much more nightmarish than the Bley trio box, I guess ...)

speaking of which ... since they did/do tread avant territory a bit more often: a Fontana set would be da shiznits!

Yes, a reissue of all the 1960's Fontana releases with the Marte Roling covers. Now, THAT would be something!

That's just what I had in mind!

But there must be a multitude of reasons why that stuff is so rare (rights back at the musicians' being one? which would make this much more nightmarish than the Bley trio box, I guess ...)

Yep, I understand that the rights (and tapes) reverted to the artists.

Highly unlikely given Michael Cuscuna's tastes, but I would also like to see:

Cal Tjader on Verve

Jonah Jones on Capitol

Andre Previn on Columbia

Actually, Columbia ought to do a Popmaster-style original jacket box of Previn's jazz albums. He's a big name and it would sell to classical listeners wanting to add a little jazz to their collections.

Back to Mosaic, I've always wanted to see a set of all the Sony BMG-owned early jazz recordings that fell out of the scope of other sets (not just Mosaic). So, for example, all the Teddy Wilson sides without Billie; the Basie sides without Lester Young, etc. Also, aren't there sessions that couldn't be used in some sets because they were owned by Decca? ISTR Bix and Mildred Bailey were two of them. A set covering that sort of material would be good, if there's enough of it.

I'm all for the Teddy Wilson sides without Billie. IIRC Sony Canada (maybe it was just Columbia then) once released a 2 Lp set of Teddy Wilson that included some of the Billei sides but a lot of other material. I stupidly didn't buy it at the time.

Edited by medjuck