CONCORD SALE

Morganized

Just thought I'd mention that I swung by a used CD store here in town over lunchtime and noticed that they were stocking quite a number of the Concord/OJC sale discs. I suppose they may have simply bought them directly at $3/each and jacked up the price in the store, but more likely they purchased them as "cutouts" from a distributor. So we may start to see these out there through other channels as well...

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REALLY diggin' on Nat Adderley "A Little New York Midtown Music", ca. 1978, with Johnny Griffin, Victor Feldman doubling on acoustic and Rhodes, Ron Carter, and Roy McCurdy. Nothing "earth shattering", but a really enjoyable listen. It's got that late-seventies post bop vibe like "Eastern Rebellion". Recommended!

Edited by Peter Johnson

A couple of weeks ago, I got the Complete Monk Prestige box--with K2 discs but sans booklet--from Zweitausendeins for something like 6 Euros (and couw has kindly prepared inserts for this box with all the discographical information). Don't know if it's still available, but it might be worth a look.

that's still available at Zweitausendeins....

The Hot Trumpets of Joe Newman and Henry "Red" Allen

This is great. It consists of an album by Newman and a separate album by Allen, both from the early 1960s. The Newman album features Tommy Flanagan very prominently, and ranges from beautiful to truly exciting.

Did Henry "Red" Allen ever make a recording that was less than really good? This one is really good, very energetic playing by all.

I got the Teo Macero thing and dug it. I'd only really heard Teo play at length (from this period) w/Mingus, and this is like that, only "looser". He's a very "studied" player, but his lines are always interesting, not a lot of BS in there. Not unlike Warne in some regards, but Warne was a whole 'nother thing entirely...

Anyways, it's a rewarding listen. Recommended.

I like what I've listened from "The Birdlanders Vol 1 and 2." What a joy it is to heard a rhythm section with Oscar Pettiford in it. Jay and Kai both in good form, as are Al Cohn and Tal Farlow.

I believe someone already has mentioned Taft Jordan's lovely "Mood Indigo." What a sound he had, not unlike Joe Wilder's but definitely his own. I like the part in the notes where he mentions that Charlie Shaver's nickname for him is "Slick."

10592394_155_155.jpeg

:tup:tup:tup

Featuring the late Duke Jordan, along with Gigi Gryce (who wrote five of the six tunes, the first one is by Jordan). Very, very nice one!

Flurin, in the early 90s, somebody (and I think it was Muse Records) had what it called a "Final Vinyl" sale, in which it sold a large selection of Muse, Savoy and OJC LPs for five dollars each. This Art Farmer is one of the ones I picked up at that sale. I've always liked it. It's the sort of solid no-frills playing that I like about so much of 50s jazz, particularly from Prestige.

I like what I've listened from "The Birdlanders Vol 1 and 2." What a joy it is to heard a rhythm section with Oscar Pettiford in it. Jay and Kai both in good form, as are Al Cohn and Tal Farlow.

Isn't one of these the same as the Pettiford Vogue release? I only have the other of the Birdlanders discs, but I'm not quite sure if the Vogue covers the second one. These are all Henri Renaud produced NY 1954 sessions, right?

Isn't one of these the same as the Pettiford Vogue release? I only have the other of the Birdlanders discs, but I'm not quite sure if the Vogue covers the second one. These are all Henri Renaud produced NY 1954 sessions, right?

Don't know the details about other releases of this material, though I think there have been a few over the years. These are the Renaud produced '54 sessions.

Don't know the details about other releases of this material, though I think there have been a few over the years. These are the Renaud produced '54 sessions.

Thanks Larry. I'll have to dig for my Pettiford CD, likely that the OJC contains another date, not just OP material? Will have to check AMG or other sources and compare to my own CD... fine sessions, for sure! (Even though Renaud the pianist is not that great... but him being in charge of things, I guess it was logical he played piano as well, instead of engaging another pianist).

Trobonist Matthew Gee's "Jazz By Gee" turns out to be a very earthy, groovy album, though the leader is not the most subtle or creative soloist imaginable. One of the septet tracks, "Kingston Lounge," has a genuine club session feel to it (listening to it, you begin to feel a bit loaded), and this is among the better early Art Taylor dates I know (when he was still deep into a neo-Blakey bag). To clinch the deal, Wilbur Ware is in fine form on the quintet tracks (John Simmons is on the rest), taking a gorgeous two-chorus solo on "Lover Man."

Trobonist Matthew Gee's "Jazz By Gee" turns out to be a very earthy, groovy album, though the leader is not the most subtle or creative soloist imaginable. One of the septet tracks, "Kingston Lounge," has a genuine club session feel to it (listening to it, you begin to feel a bit loaded), and this is among the better early Art Taylor dates I know (when he was still deep into a neo-Blakey bag). To clinch the deal, Wilbur Ware is in fine form on the quintet tracks (John Simmons is on the rest), taking a gorgeous two-chorus solo on "Lover Man."

Bought that one, but haven't gottten to it yet. How's Griff?

Bought that one, but haven't gottten to it yet. How's Griff?

Ernie?